Swim at Your Own Risk
|Swim at Your Own Risk is the 5th quest in the Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh .|
|These quests can be completed in any order.|
|The Haunting of Saltmarsh • Under the Cover of Darkness • Danger at Dunwater • The Final Enemy • Swim at Your Own Risk|
An ancient crocodile named Thousand Teeth has turned feral, killing many of the local Lizardfolk. They have asked you to destroy the ancient beast, as slaying crocodiles is forbidden in their tribe.
|Requires access to : Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh|
|Swim at Your Own Risk|
|Takes place in:||Thousand-Teeth's Lair|
|Quest acquired in:||Saltmarsh|
|Purchase:||Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh|
Sauriv is asking you to do his tribe a great service. For many years they have venerated Thousand Teeth, the Giant Crocodile who lives in this lair. Yet recently Thousand Teeth has begun to act erratically. He has killed scores of the Lizardfolk... and no doubt hundreds of the feeble Bullywugs. For the safety of the Lizardfolk, Thousand Teeth must be destroyed. Yet killing a totem of the tribe is forbidden to Sauriv's people.
Spoiler Warning: Spoiler material below this point!
- Unlock the Mage's Barrier
- Slay Thousand Teeth
- Slay the Sahuagin Mage
Tips and Misc
- First, a note: even on Normal, this quest can be tricky for characters to run at level, as Mage Kril's spellcasting can take a level 3 character down pretty quickly. If you're running this one on Hardcore, tread carefully.
- Unpleasant things are living in the "water", so best avoid swimming or you'll risk taking damage.
- Nibbling things: A lot of things that live in this water have a high meat diet, and they're nibbling on you. (Effect: take piercing damage periodically)
- Thousand Teeth will attack when you approach the second puzzle; depending on difficulty, he retreats after losing between 50–80% of his health.
- Waves of Sahuagin will attack when you approach the first three puzzles. Upon beginning the fourth puzzle, you'll instead be attacked by Water Weirds.
- After all four puzzles are solved, you'll need to slay both a red-named sahuagin mage and Thousand Teeth. Thousand Teeth takes a while to arrive, so focus on the mage first.
- Breaking explosive barrels near Thousand Teeth stuns him for about 5 seconds. As well as the typical red markings, these barrels have visible names when selected.
- Devious bonus: 3 or fewer monsters killed +7% Bonus.
- Discreet bonus: 7 or fewer monsters killed +5% Bonus.
- Aggression bonus: 19 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 26 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 87 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 114 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 140 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Chests: 1
- end chest
- NPC rewards:
Named Chest Drop
This quest may also drop the following named augments:
|Name ( picture )||CR||Type||Race|
|Invader Skirmisher ( view • )||Monstrous Humanoid||Sahuagin|
|Invader Warrior ( view • )||Monstrous Humanoid||Sahuagin|
|Mage Kril ( view • )||Monstrous Humanoid||Sahuagin|
|Thousand Teeth ( view • )||Animal||Crocodile|
|Water Weird ( view • )||Elemental||Water Weird|