The Price of Freedom
The Esoteric Order of Aureon has built a very special prison specifically to contain lawbreakers who are talented in arcane arts.
|Requires access to : White Plume Mountain and Other Tales|
|The Price of Freedom|
|Takes place in:||Brimstone Boulder Prison|
|Quest acquired in:||The Twelve|
|Free to Play:||No|
Dorris has asked your help in breaking a prisoner out of a prison for dangerous magic users. The rest of the quest involves infiltrating the prison, breaking out the dubiously accused prisoners, slaying the prison guards, finding and killing the warden, and escaping on the airship.
- Speak to Dorris
- Get on the floating island
- Get inside the prison
- Disable both dimensional anchors
- Find the very important prisoner (VIP)
- Defeat the Warden
- Escape from the prison and speak with Dorris
- (Optional) Bring five prisoners to the nearest exit — Bonus (12%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Free five more prisoners — Bonus (20%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Free even more prisoners (5) — Bonus (30%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Turn all the lights off on the top platform — Bonus (30%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Distribute treasure to the crew — Bonus (50%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Cause an existential crisis for Inevitability. — Bonus (10%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Discipline the Disciplinarian. — Bonus (8%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Bring real heat to the kitchen. — Bonus (8%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Make the Bailiff bail. — Bonus (8%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Wipe the infirmary floor with the Doctor. — Bonus (8%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Participate in percussion therapy with the Chief Rehab Officer — Bonus (8%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Turn all the lights off on the high security floor — Bonus (30%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Convince five outlaws to fight on your side — Bonus (20%): Heroic Epic
What to Expect
- Points of no return (dimensional anchor)
- Lava and fire damage
- Puzzles (interlocking rings of five lights)
- Slow traps scattered throughout the adventure
- Spike trap in Doctor Fjorn Bloodstein's medical room cell surrounding the lever (control panel on the wall to the right)
Tips and Misc
- Because of the large amount of fire damage, resistance and absorption for fire can be helpful in many of the fights here.
- Additionally, enemies very similar to the Inevitable spawn in this quest, and can blind and stun the player on a failed save. Lightning resistance can also help in certain fights.
Talk to Dorris to receive an in-quest item, Wand of Greater Exploits. The wand has two uses:
- It summons a pad that launches you upwards and then casts feather fall on you.
- It tells you if a dimensional anchor is nearby.
Use the wand (repeatedly) to reach the prison above you.
- Enter the prison
Prison has two entrances. You only need to clear one. Either
- 1) Outer walls: The entrance is guarded by a barrier. Lower the barrier by pulling 8 levers in various sections of the ramparts. There are guards.
- 2) Top floor: Use your wand to go even higher, to the top/center of the prison. The entrance is sealed by a puzzle. Make a star pattern on the inner ring. Alternative run a complete circle on the outer ring and after that a complete circle on the inner ring to solve the puzzle. Fewer guards than on the main floor. Also awards optional exp.
- Inside the prison
- Killing turn-keys drops keys to cells. Optionally, you can unlock cells and free prisoners.
- You need to locate two dimensional anchors. One is in a random location in the prison, the other is on static on the bottom floor.
- One of the locations a dimensional anchor can spawn is not marked on the map. Second from the top floor of regular security cells, north east-most cell.
- Use the wand, it can tell you if there's an anchor nearby.
- Kill the first anchor. (Bug: Sometimes doesn't spawn)
- Note: The Dimensional Anchors can both spawn on the bottom level, so don’t freak out.
- (Optional: In the upstairs, southeast wing, there are two secret doors, each with 2 iron keys behind them. There is also a pair of shrines, and the potential for a couple mini-bosses.)
- (Optional: In southeast corner of the kitchen (northeastern area on the map), there is a secret door with a loooong shaft. Dropping down will bypass the lower generic jail level (and the fights there) and take you directly to the VIP cell level.)
- Floor with VIP prisoners
- Proceed down. Locate Talbron Tewn (on a bottom fiery floor) and get Gold Key from him.
- To unlock the cells on this floor, either disable the puzzle or use the wand to activate the lock above each cell individually.
- To disable the puzzle, press the bottom button on the side near the gate (south), and the top button on the opposite side (north), and it will unlock all cells.
- (Optional: Check all the sealed cells for other VIP's. You may recognize most or all of them. Some can be persuaded to fight for you on the ship in the end fight.)
- The platforms in the lava pools (this one and the Warden fight come and go, and rather quickly. The stone platforms can disappear and reappear in different places in the pit. If you are there at a location when stone platform appears, then you will be locked in stone and can't move around until the stone platform disappears.
- Open the gate on the fiery floor, the one with 3 runes (you don't have to press them all at once). Use the wand to activate the lock on top of the gate.
- Use the gold key from Talbron to open door behind the gate.
- There's a small rectangular pool of lava after the gold-key gate. In the lava there is a lever on the near (east) side - you'll have to go to the west side and look back to see it. Pulling the lever (or shooting it with a ranged weapon if you don't want to take a swim in molten lava) opens a door at the bottom of the stairs with a chest with named loot. (45 total fire resist was enough for a quick swim on Epic Elite.)
- Warden Fight
- The next room is dark, with a valve at the end. If you examine the floor closely, you can make out a trap door, geared on the sides. When the valve is turned, you fall into a deeper lava pool, with The Warden.
- The Warden is extremely hardy. I’d recommend a party.
- On Heroic difficulties, the second anchor is fairly near the door, in a small patch of lava.
- On Epic difficulties, the second anchor is a bit deeper, in a field of deep lava.
- Fight the warden near the Dimensional Anchor lock, small stone islands appear in a circular pattern around the Dimensional Anchor lock. As one appears step on to it as the one you are on disappears. Simply step in a clockwise direction to stay out of the lava. The warden will come to you and if you time it correctly can be killed solo.
- If you die in the lava, your soul stone is teleported to the shrine. (No nearby shrine on heroic.)
- Kill the anchor and the Warden.
- End fight #2
- There are a pair of shrines on the ship.
- The anti-gravity tile on the central platform is still active.
Killing the anchor opens a Dimension Door back to the ship (which will then last until the last character leaves the quest). The Dimension Door there to the prison is gone, but you can still use your wand to work your way back up if you really want to.
- Speak with Dorris, then speak with the Captain (up on the bridge).
The crew plans a mutiny. If you choose the first option, you give the end chest (named loot) to the crew to avoid the fight. If you want the end chest, choose the bottom option ("crack some heads").
- Do NOT speak with the first mate until you are ready for the fight, which will start immediately upon speaking to him.
If you freed prisoners, you might be able to persuade them to side with you. Check the entire ship, they may be spread around.
Talking to the First Mate or failing twice on the following checks will start the fight.
- Eleonora Duboix
- Philliree (Easy), Vraxina Firenight, Gramma Skye, Randy the Snout(Hard), Kharamana (Very Hard)
- Fred (Easy), Sycil Weatherworn, Priestess Ionna, Hilda Bronzefist, Sheth, Jaqqu (Hard), Dacassan Cragorre (Very Hard)
- Sakhaa (Difficult), Bron Featherstorm (Hard)
- Aggression bonus: 137 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Observance bonus: 3 or more secret doors discovered +8% Bonus.
- Perception bonus: 4 or more secret doors discovered +10% Bonus.
- Vigilant Sight bonus: 5 or more secret doors discovered +15% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 62 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 81 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 99-100 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Chests: 5-6?
- NPC rewards: