Seizing the Dawn
|Seizing the Dawn is the 3rd quest in the Peril of the Planar Eyes .|
|These quests can be completed in any order.|
|An Element of Chaos • Eye Know Whodunnit • Seizing the Dawn • Beautiful Nightmares|
Morgrave University has asked you to retrieve the Eye of Irian, lost long ago in the desert canyons of Menechtarun. The only catch - you are not the only one seeking to claim it.
|Requires access to : Peril of the Planar Eyes|
|Seizing the Dawn|
|Takes place in:||Canyon of the Eternal Sun|
|Bestowed by:||Falin d'Phiarlan|
|NPC contact:||Falin d'Phiarlan|
|Quest acquired in:||Lordsmarch Plaza|
|Purchase:||Peril of the Planar Eyes or VIP|
Falin d'Phiarlan, a professor at Morgrave University, tells you that the Eye of Irian is being held in the Canyons of the Eternal Sun. Go there to retrieve the artifact and rescue d'Phiarlan's associate.
Spoiler Warning: Spoiler material below this point!
- Explore the Canyons
- Find the Sealing Crests (4)
- Open the Sealed Temple
- Explore the Temple of the Eternal Sun
- Retrieve the Eye of Irian
- (Optional) Save the Missing Cleric — Bonus (20%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Slay Thok Ul'kuur — Bonus (10%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Explore the Mysterious Tunnels — Bonus (25%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Get past the Kobold Den — Bonus (25%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Slay Clan Skalthrakis Lair Guardian — Bonus (25%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Slay Skalthrakis — Bonus (25%): Heroic Epic
What to Expect
Climbable rock ladders. They look like alternating bumps up the rock wall. These are announced only once by the dungeon master, when you first approach them.
Tips and Misc
The quest start is the far southeast square area on the first (upper) map. Entry is on the starting level; the lower area has only triggered some narration.
- Gather the four crests
- The puzzle is fully unlocked when all the sockets are filled, however each button becomes active and can be pressed once it has its crest. If using the solutions provided below, avoid players or hires walking on the buttons before ready to solve and changing the set up.
- Hammer crest – close to start, first left off the main path
- Mace crest – Either at the top of a rock ladder in the first open area (immediately to the right as you first exit the tunnel there), OR at the bottom of same (scorpion ambush)
- Spear crest – western cave, western end,† in a pool of water defended by an orange-named water elemental
- Sword crest – Either halfway down the western passage in small pool of water, OR in the western caves,† southern passage with scorpions dead end, OR at the bottom of the chasm in front of the sealed gate (near the wounded cleric).
- † Bug: Possible "door" in the floor here – see next optional (next) for details
- (Optional) Just before the elemental pool in the far western cavern, there is a secret door on the right (north). Beyond that there's a passage (not outlined on map) leading north, with a red-named scorrow and a chest. There are 2 ways to open this door:
- 1) It can be Searched (or spotted via True Seeing) and unlocked, in which case it slides into the floor and disappears.
- 2) There's a "Lever" (actually a button with a handprint) on a rock at the bottom of the first open area below the puzzle, guarded by scorpions. If this is used, see bug:
- Bug: If the wall is opened with the lever, it still can be found (in the floor) by Search (or True Seeing), unlocked, and closed. A solid wall then rises from the floor which cannot be opened again so players are stuck on either side of the wall.
- (Optional) On a ledge below the temple entrance there's the missing cleric (Tarion d'Phiarlan), wounded. Help him for some XP.
- Dragon optional (see 2nd map)
- Drop down into the chasm under the temple entrance, to the water at the bottom.
- Go through some long caves, kill some kobolds... Ultimately, there's a dragon, and a chest (no named loot). An underwater barrier in the dragon cave appears to have no way of opening.
- Solve the puzzle
- The basic aim of the puzzle is to get all the four floating spheres set in a horizontal row; the vertical position (height) you need to set the four spheres to, is indicated when a sphere is moved into a position so that it "glows".
- There are four buttons that control the floating balls, the fifth button in the back resets the puzzle.
- Puzzle Layout 1: 3,4,4,1,2 (meaning hit the 3rd button, the 4th twice, the 1st, then the 2nd)
- Puzzle Layout 2: 4,2,2,3,1
- Puzzle Layout 2 (starting orb position 4 2 3 2)
- Puzzle Layout 3: 4,3,2,1
- Puzzle Layout 4: 1,2,2,3,4
- Puzzle Layout 5: 4,3,2,1,2
- Note: All of these solutions boil down to just 2 (order doesn't matter): 4321(2) or 4321(4) (the number in parentheses being optional)
- The stochastic approach: jump around for a minute or two until it solves.
- In the temple
- Solving the puzzle opens the door.
- Run up. Go left or right, doesn't matter. There's a shrine in the center.
- Defeat the archon, claim the planar eye, and your rewards.
- Aggression bonus: 81 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 105 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 129 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 10 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Chests: 3
- 1 Optional for slaying Thok Ul'kuur Scorrow
- 1 Optional for slaying Skalthrakis the Blue Dragon
- 1 End Chest
- Collectables: 5
- Fungus near the Water Elemental
- Adventurer's Pack near Tarion d'Phiarlan
- Fungus near entrance to Mysterious Tunnel
- Crude Altar in the Kobold Den
- Adventurer's Pack in the Kobold Den
- NPC rewards: Standard
Named Chest Drop
|Name ( picture )||CR||Type||Race|
|Aosu'riel ( view • )||Good Outsider||Angel|
|Canyon Hyena ( view • )||Animal||Hyena|
|Canyon Scorpion ( view • )||Vermin||Scorpion|
|Canyon Stalker ( view • )||Animal||Hyena|
|Clan Skalthrakis Fangstriker ( view • )||Reptilian||Kobold|
|Clan Skalthrakis Lair Guardian ( view • )||Reptilian||Kobold|
|Clan Skalthrakis Scalewarden ( view • )||Reptilian||Kobold|
|Clan Skalthrakis Spellscale ( view • )||Reptilian||Kobold|
|Hidden Hand Claw ( view • )||Humanoid||Human|
|Hidden Hand Finger ( view • )||Humanoid||Human|
|Hidden Hand Palm ( view • )||Humanoid||Human|
|Hidden Hand Shield Guardian ( view • )||Construct||Golem|
|Lantern Archon Protector ( view • )||Good Outsider||Angel|
|Neris'lana ( view • )||Elemental||Water Elemental|
|Skalthrakis ( view • )||Dragon||Blue Dragon|
|Stone Temple Protector ( view • )||Construct||Golem|
|Thok Ul'kuur ( view • )||Aberration||Drow Scorpion|