Eye Know Whodunnit
|Eye Know Whodunnit is the 2nd quest in the Peril of the Planar Eyes .|
|These quests can be completed in any order.|
|An Element of Chaos • Eye Know Whodunnit • Seizing the Dawn • Beautiful Nightmares|
Crawben Bix's loan on the Eye of Syrania has expired. As you approach his construction site in Dannel's Pride, you hope he'll give up the artifact quietly.
|Requires access to : Peril of the Planar Eyes|
|Eye Know Whodunnit|
|Takes place in:||Crawben Bix's Construction Site|
|Bestowed by:||Alban Kimble|
|NPC contact:||Alban Kimble|
|Quest acquired in:||Lordsmarch Plaza|
|Purchase:||Peril of the Planar Eyes or VIP|
Alban mentions that the Eye of Syrania was loaned out to Crawben Bix for a maximum of 4 weeks, and that time has passed, and they want it back. Alban would like you retrieve the Eye from Crawben.
Spoiler Warning: Spoiler material below this point!
- Find the Eye of Syrania
- Speak with Crawben Bix, the landlord
- Find out who stole it
- Confront the thief
- (Optional) Gather evidence against Aethor — Bonus (22%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Gather evidence against Bernadot — Bonus (22%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Gather evidence against Clarissa — Bonus (22%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Gather evidence against Dannis — Bonus (22%): Heroic Epic
What to Expect
- Loads of Secret doors
Tips and Misc
- This is a crime investigation. There are four suspects; but only one (random) is the one you're seeking, and you have to find four pieces of evidence for that one.
- As soon as you have found the first clue against a suspect, a "countdown" (from 4) for that suspect will be shown in your Objectives list.
- Two of the suspects drop only two pieces of evidence, and one will drop only three, but only the suspect with the Eye will have the four for a completable optional.
- You can only accuse (and fight) a suspect if you found three pieces of evidence for them. This means that you can accuse and fight two suspects (for their chests).
- You may fight the guilty party when you have 3 pieces of evidence against them, and then find the Eye, but to complete the optional you first need to prove them guilty with all 4 pieces.
- Picking up the Eye completes the quest.
- All four candidates are "guilty" of something, but that's of no concern here to you. Bernadot and Dannis are running cults, as is Aethor (although his real secret is rather more sinister.) Clarissa, meanwhile, is merely running a crime ring.
- Each suspect has a locked door nearby and drops the key after being killed. (except Clarissa)
- In the graveyard (southeast corner of map) there is a lever that opens a secret door, which may be mandatory for characters who can't search/spot the secret door normally. The lever is sitting behind one of the tombs on the east side of the graveyard, and the camera can easily be obscured by the trees and brush, making it very easy to miss. Further complicating this is the fact that the lever doesn't spawn until the group in the graveyard becomes hostile.
- Gather evidence against Aethor
- Loud Kobold in sewers (exists always)
- Kobold footprints, inside the building (exists always)
- Daelkyr Idol, sewers behind a secret door
- Inactive Khyber portal in the sewers
- Gather evidence against Bernadot
- Pithy Pamphlet, inside the building or in cemetery (exists always)
- Cultist Hood, in cemetery (4th)
- Union Worker, outside the construction site (exists always)
- Voluntold Sacrifice Victim, underneath cemetery (3rd)
- Gather evidence against Clarissa
- Halfling corpse, inside the building (exists always)
- Marena the Chatterbox, outside the construction site (3rd)
- Caleb the Snitch, outside the construction site (exists always)
- Discarded Toolkit, inside the building to the south (4th)
- Gather evidence against Dannis
- Bloody feathers, in the sewers (exists always)
- Disgruntled Worker, outside the construction site (exists always)
- Veterans's Diary, somewhere around the construction site (3rd)
- Ledger of accounts in the underground passageways (4th)
Optimal Route Walk-through
- Each candidate has two pieces of evidence which always spawn, and two which are "conclusive" – if such evidence spawns, you can accuse that suspect later. It's usually quicker to accuse a suspect after three items are found, as the fourth is often difficult to find.
- Your first step is to talk to Crawben Bix, followed by all four of the suspects.
- You'll need to select the top line of dialogue for each (typically something like "Where can I find you for further questioning?") for this objective to progress; the suspect will then leave.
- Go left (east) to the open sewer tunnel nearby. Caleb the Snitch might be around this area.
- Jump down into the sewer, fight some Kobolds and Hellhounds. Keep an eye out for the Loud Kobold NPC (not the Loud Kobold mobs that you will fight). At the bottom of the stairs, head north, then turn west and clear the altar room. If the Khyber Idol is here, congratulations! You've found conclusive evidence for Aethor.
- If you didn't find the idol there and your search skill is high enough (or with True Seeing), check the room behind the secret door to the North. It's got a Kobold miniboss (with friends) and possibly also the Khyber Portal.
- Underground building site
- Head to the east, then south. If you can open the secret door by Aethor, do so, then, with a short swim, head south to the building site. While you're in any of the underground passageways, keep an eye out for Dannis's accounts ledger.
- The shrine is due west from the swim.
- If you didn't meet the Loud Kobold in the sewers, he'll be here; so will the Kobold Footprints. If you now have three pieces of evidence for Aethor, you can accuse him – skip to J'accuse! below. If there's a halfling corpse down here, meanwhile, that's conclusive evidence for Clarissa, and there should also be bloody feathers which count against Dannis.
- Bernadot and her worker's union are also in the building site. The Pithy Pamphlet might be around here somewhere; so might the Discarded Toolkit, which is conclusive evidence for Clarissa.
- Street level
- From Bernadot, head up to the top level, keeping an eye out for Sharn Syndicate goons and archers. This area contains a lot of evidence: Marena the Chatterbox, who'll you'll need to interview to get the password for Clarissa's door, the Disgruntled Worker, and the Union Worker are all guaranteed, and Caleb the Snitch is here if you haven't found him already. The Veteran's Diary, which is conclusive against Dannis, may also possibly spawn.
- By this point, you should have all the guaranteed evidence for Aethor, Clarissa and Dannis (Bernadot's Pithy Pamphlet might be in the cemetery, southeast). You might also be able to accuse Clarissa or Dannis – see J'accuse! below.
- If not, your possibilities are down to Bernadot or Dannis. Head down into the building site, then west into the crypts.
- If the Veteran's Diary or the accounts ledger spawn in the crypts, you can accuse Dannis. If not, your guilty party is Bernadot. Make sure to check the chain-filled room behind the closed door for the sacrifice participant.
- Still nothing? Head back up top, then into the graveyard. If the Cultist Hood is there, grab it; if not, beat up the cultists, and head down into the tomb to find the Sacrifice Participant. Either way, you can now accuse Bernadot.
- If the Pithy Pamphlet wasn't in the building site, that'll be here too.
- A boss, when accused and defeated, drops a key in the original location they spawned. Make sure to pick it up before moving on.
- Aethor is just east of the stairs in the sewer, behind a secret door. Nearly all of his spells are Lightning type (bring absorption), and his boss fight also has an unexpected twist – halfway through, he reveals himself as a Rakshasa! If planning to melee him, you'll need Good and Piercing DR bypass.
- Bernadot spams Blade Barrier but is otherwise uncomplicated. She's in the union headquarters in the underground building site (down the wooden ramps).
- To meet Clarissa, you'll need to speak to Marena, then on street level make your way to a building (center, south side of map) with a Dragon Portrait. Buff up and step through the portrait – Clarissa and her minions attack on sight.
- Dannis is in the chapel above the crypts. His fight is probably toughest – he's got a lot of help, and you'll want Evil damage bypass.
Finishing the Job
- You'll now have a key which opens a door nearby. Aethor's, Clarissa's and Dannis's doors are all nearby; Bernadot's is in the cult HQ beneath the tomb in the graveyard.
- If the Eye is there it should be immediately obvious; otherwise, you've accused the wrong candidate. Head back up to the main walkthrough and continue where you left off.
- Once you accuse the correct candidate, speak to the eye; three angels from Syrania appear to claim it. They'll leave behind a tiny end chest that may have named loot in it.
- Since the end chest (the one the angels drop) can spawn in one of four different locations, the game considers them to be separate chests for the purpose of ransack penalties. This means a player hunting for named loot can potentially run this quest as many as 32 times before ransack becomes a problem.
- It is no longer necessary to speak to Crawben again to complete the quest – bear in mind that taking the Eye will now finish the quest instantly.
- There's a Syndicate Trainer with a pack of Raptors who attacks you. When you kill him, he says "You are the alpha now...". This is a reference to Jurassic World. (Incidentally, on his death, the nearby Raptors become passive.)
- Aggression bonus: 107 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Observance bonus: 8 or more secret doors discovered +8% Bonus.
- Perception bonus: 10 or more secret doors discovered +10% Bonus.
- Vigilant Sight bonus: 12 or more secret doors discovered +15% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 35 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 45 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 56 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Chests: 3
- One randomly located, mostly underground
- One in the locked room of the 'fake' suspect
- One end chest (with the Eye)
- Collectables: 11, 9 always, all underground
- Crude Altar, kobold zone, west room
- Fungus, kobold zone, north room
- Crude Altar, kobold zone, north east corner
- Bookshelf, single hidden room at tunnels
- 2x Scroll Rack far east of Bernadot
- Adventurer's Pack in north east room beneath Dennis
- Adventurer's Pack and Cabinet in south east room beneath Dennis
- Bookshelf and Cabinet in Bernadot's locked room
- NPC rewards:
Named Chest Drop