An Element of Chaos
|An Element of Chaos is the 1st quest in the Peril of the Planar Eyes .|
|These quests can be completed in any order.|
|An Element of Chaos • Eye Know Whodunnit • Seizing the Dawn • Beautiful Nightmares|
Morgrave University has asked you to retrieve the Eye of Kythri, but it is sealed away, deep in a ruined Sulatar shrine. What lies in wait in this volcanic cavern is anyone's guess.
|Requires access to : Peril of the Planar Eyes|
|An Element of Chaos|
|Takes place in:||Ancient Sulatar Shrine|
|Bestowed by:||Thaddeus Donbury|
|NPC contact:||Thaddeus Donbury|
|Quest acquired in:||Lordsmarch Plaza|
|Purchase:||Peril of the Planar Eyes or VIP|
The Eye of Kythri is contained within the ruins of a Sulatar Shrine. Investigate the ruins to find the artifact.
Spoiler Warning: Spoiler material below this point!
- Explore the Sulatar Ruins
- Open the Cavern Shrine Door
- Enter the Deeper Chambers
- Slay Ik'thanor the Devourer
- Retrieve the Eye of Kythri
- (Optional) Slay K'Laren Fireblade — Bonus (10%): Heroic Epic
What to Expect
- 'Simon-Says' style puzzle (repeat pattern)
- respawning monsters (upstairs after defeating the efreet)
- Two sets of spiked floor blades, the first immediately after the first sealed door, the second across the intersection from the shrine. (Trap Control panel for each before spikes on the right.)
- Various Elemental damage type traps downstairs: cannot be disarmed
Tips and Misc
Unlike some other quests in this adventure pack, this is a fairly short and straightforward quest.
- Entrance to the quest is at the southern end of the map.
- All elemental resists/protections except Sonic are helpful.
- Proceed forward, clearing a few encounters on the main path and side rooms before solving a "Simon Says" puzzle to open the first door.
- Mind the two spike traps (details above). These can be easily dodged with a bit of timing.
- You'll need to throw two levers to open the door beyond the chasm. The large gear lever won't unlock until the nearby efreet Darnoc the Everburning is slain.
- There's a guarded shrine in the last side room here. The next (and last) shrine is more heavily guarded, so consider before using this one early.
- Kill the efreet, throw the lever, grab the chest. Mobs respawn back at the last intersection and side rooms when you throw the large lever; hirelings, and such are not safe if left at the shrine.
- Backtrack a few rooms and throw the large gear to open the way west.
- Halfway down (optional)
- Jump (or climb, ladder south side of ledge) down into the fiery lava chasm, onto the narrow path at the bottom. Behind a Secret door halfway down, there are a few drow guards, K'Laren Fireblade, a collectable and a chest. Climb back up and continue.
- (minor bug: The secret door is already in a revealed state.)
- Elemental cave
- Fight the first two of several mixed groups of rather tough slaads. Be aware that slaads regenerate over time.
- Jump down into a different cavern and another group of slaads; this time the area is littered with four types of elemental risks: heat, cold, acid and electric. Some are timed, but stay out of any water and off the ice in the boss room.
- One more shrine shows up in a side room.
- Be warned that approaching the area just outside the shrine will trigger both a group of Slaad and some nearby Hidden Hand cultists. However, if dead, you can run to the shrine and use it to resurrect without triggering the groups until you step out again.
- The end fight triggers as soon as you approach the eye; a wall of fire springs up a short distance from the Dais, blocking further access until the boss dies. Kill Ik'thanor the grey slaad, grab the eye, loot chest.
- Be warned that if you leave the quest with Extreme Cold still active (from ice in end-fight room), it won't wear off until you log out and in again, even persisting through death.
- Aggression bonus: 49 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 64 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 78 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Tamper bonus: 1 or more trap disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 9 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 12 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 14 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Chests: 3
- One for defeating efreet near lever
- One optional for defeating K'Laren Fireblade (behind the Secret door)
- One end chest
- Collectables: 2
- Adventurer's Pack near upper level shrine
- Adventurer's Pack near K'Laren Fireblade
- NPC rewards:
Named Chest Drop
|Name ( picture )||CR||Type||Race|
|Blue Slaad Invader ( view • )||Evil Outsider||Slaad|
|Darnoc the Everburning ( view • )||Evil Outsider||Efreet|
|Hidden Hand Claw ( view • )||Humanoid||Human|
|Hidden Hand Finger ( view • )||Humanoid||Human|
|Hidden Hand Palm ( view • )||Humanoid||Human|
|Ik'thanor the Devourer ( view • )||Aberration||Slaad|
|K'Laren Fireblade ( view • )||Elf||Drow Elf|
|Kythri Blue Slaad ( view • )||Aberration||Slaad|
|Kythri Green Slaad ( view • )||Aberration||Slaad|
|Kythri Red Slaad ( view • )||Aberration||Slaad|
|Magmaborn Salamander ( view • )||Evil Outsider||Salamander|
|Sulatar Shrine Defender ( view • )||Elf||Drow Elf|
|Sulatar Shrine Guardian ( view • )||Elf||Drow Elf|