ToEE: First Level and Earth Temple
|ToEE: First Level and Earth Temple is the 1st quest in the Temple of Elemental Evil: Part One .|
|ToEE: First Level and Earth Temple • ToEE: Lower Temple Complex|
There is no doubt; you have come to a place of ineffable Evil. Still, it is a place for high adventure and untold treasures.
|Requires access to : The Temple of Elemental Evil|
|ToEE: First Level and Earth Temple|
|Takes place in:||Temple of Elemental Evil's Upper Level|
|Bestowed by:||Ostler Gundigoot|
|NPC contact:||Ostler Gundigoot|
|Quest acquired in:||Temple Grounds|
|Purchase:||The Temple of Elemental Evil or VIP|
The Upper Level of the Temple's doors are open, but the Lower Levels remain warded. Go to the Temple of Elemental Evil's Upper Level to dispel the Earth Ward.
You may gain access to the Temple of Elemental Evil's Upper Level from the Temple Grounds reached from the Gatekeepers' Grove (in the far northeast corner of the Grove).
Spoiler Warning: Spoiler material below this point!
- Gain Entrance to the Earth Temple
- Activate the Eastern Rune
- Activate the Northern Rune
- Enter the Earth Temple
- Explore the Earth Temple
- Find the Earth Temple Key
- Confront Romag
- Gain Entrance to the Lower Temple Complex
- (Optional) Find all of the Part One Audio Commentaries (8) — Bonus (50%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Defeat 10 enemies in the Temple — Bonus (2%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Defeat 25 total enemies in the Temple — Bonus (6%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Defeat 50 total enemies in the Temple — Bonus (13%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Defeat 100 total enemies in the Temple — Bonus (30%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Defeat 200 total enemies in the Temple — Bonus (50%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Defeat 400 total enemies in the Temple — Bonus (100%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Defeat 750 total enemies in the Temple — Bonus (200%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Slay Nar'Azmath the Ogre Mage — Bonus (20%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Slay Kirmudy the Bleak — Bonus (20%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Slay Spiritrunner the Minotaur — Bonus (20%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Slay Rasskar the Bandit Scourge — Bonus (20%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Slay Garkoth the Wiley — Bonus (20%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Find Spider Eggs for the Frogkeeper — Bonus (5%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Return to the Frogkeeper — Bonus (30%): Heroic Epic
What to Expect
- Random traps (bear traps, spell wards)
- Ballista firing poison bolts that damage (you can use them too)
- Random spawns of enemy groups also in visited areas
- Randomly spawning optional bosses
- Lockboxes and chests randomly spawn and respawn also in visited areas too
- Same goes for breakables
- Randomly localized mystic altars and magical fountains may spawn, usually with a lockbox nearby
- Bear traps
- Pressure plates
- Spell Wards
Tips and Misc
You need to disable the eastern and north/central runes in order to unlock the gate to the Earth Temple. It's probably more efficient to do them in that order, and then proceed to the Earth Temple from the center of the map.
- The eastern rune is guarded by Harpies that can disable you with Soothing Song; you will receive a pop up message when you enter the room.
- The northern rune is guarded by a rapid fire Ballista that does extremely high damage, and hitting the guard using it is difficult as the ballista blocks projectiles.
- There is a secret door near the shrine due west of the ballista, allowing you to bypass the ballista's arc of fire.
- Approaching from the south will also allow you to avoid the ballista and you may be able to kill the guard from range, but there is a spiked pit and you will need a way to leap across it to enter the room.
After disabling both runes, head north from the ballista room to enter the temple. There is an outer path around the earth temple itself; enter the earth temple from the north.
Go to the central temple area and kill the four red named Earth Elementals to drop the barrier to Romag, and kill him. Loot the named chest and earth temple key, then exit the earth temple room to the north, head south, and disable the earth barrier to complete the quest.
Vorka the Frogkeeper can spawn at different locations.† Unfortunately that doesn't grant that a Spider Nest spawns too.
- († including the smaller of the pair of rooms north of the southern shrine, not shown on map, above)
- Aggression bonus: variable or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Tamper bonus: variable or more traps disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Neutralization bonus: variable or more traps disarmed +20% Bonus.
- Observance bonus: 3 or more secret doors discovered +8% Bonus.
- Vigilant Sight bonus: 4 or more secret doors discovered +15% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: variable or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: variable or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: variable or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Notes: The numbers of enemies, breakables and traps are highly volatile, so the bonus limit are volatile too.
- Ransack is usually reachable, Onslaught is questionable (299 weren't enough)
- Chests: 5 plus lots of random
- One for killing Harpy Matriarch
- One for killing Gargoyle Colossus
- One for killing Hartsch
- One for killing Turnkey
- One for killing Romag (named loot)
- NPC rewards: standard
Named Chest Drop
This quest may also drop the following named augments:
- Legendary Ruby of Acid Blast
- Legendary Ruby of Flaming Blast
- Legendary Ruby of Icy Blast
- Legendary Ruby of Shocking Blast
- Legendary Ruby of Implement's Acid
- Legendary Ruby of Implement's Flame
- Legendary Ruby of Implement's Frost
- Legendary Ruby of Implement's Wind
- Legendary Ruby of Maiming
- Legendary Sapphire of Riposte