Desire in the Dark
|Desire in the Dark is the 5th quest in The Mines of Tethyamar .|
|The first four quests can be completed in any order to unlock Desire in the Dark.|
|Third Time's a Charm • Graveyard Shift • Records of the Past • Strike Back • Desire in the Dark|
The mine tunnels of the long-abandoned Eastern Reaches have yet to be reclaimed by the Dwarves.
|Requires access to : The Mines of Tethyamar|
|Desire in the Dark|
|Takes place in:||The Eastern Reaches|
|Bestowed by:||Inger Ingersdottir|
|NPC contact:||Inger Ingersdottir|
|Quest acquired in:||Tethyamar Mining Outpost|
|Purchase:||The Mines of Tethyamar or VIP|
Stoutheart's assistant is panicking because Stoutheart has vanished from the outpost without informing her of his plans.
In the Eastern Reaches, find Hal Stoutheart and ensure his safety.
Spoiler Warning: Spoiler material below this point!
- Question Stoutheart
- Find the person behind all this
- Find your way to the castle
- Save Silent the Drow at the bridge
- Speak with the Shapeshifter at the Gate Bridge
- Find the next mirror in the hedge maze
- Touch the four key stones
- Defeat Graz'zt
- (Optional) Defend the mysterious mindflayer — Bonus (15%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Destroy all of the guardians (7 kills) — Bonus (25%): Heroic Epic
What to Expect
- Points of no return (several one-way portals as you advance)
- End chest can only be accessed by those present at the end fight; make sure all allies are gathered before beginning the end fight!
Tips and Misc
- Looting any piles of gold will give you "Touched By Greed", a debuff with no timer that gives you −10 PRR, stacking 3 times. This debuff also lasts through rest, but not quest completion or death.
- In the first room, several creatures are fighting each other; you can simply ignore them if you desire. Stay right and follow the path up.
- In the second room, looting the initial piles of gold will cause the dwarves to attack you, even if you intimidate them into saying to take what you want.
- In the "outdoor village" encounter, if you carefully question the drow by the gate, you will find his associate, and – after a couple fights – a chest.
- In the maze, be prepared to encounter multiple succubi.
- The garden maze has several free-standing walls within it, so the trick of "following the left/right wall" will not always work.
- As you enter, just follow the outer stone wall to your right.
- In the fourth area, protection from Acid effects are highly desirable.
- The Promise of Power will give you the debuff "Overconfidence", which lasts for 10 minutes and gives you −10 PRR (stacks with "Touched by Greed), −2 Will Saves, and −5 Reflex Saves.
- You don't have to kill the guardians to use the touch keys.
- The fifth area has several dancing succubi; stepping into the red circle will free them and inflict a short-duration Otto's Irresistible Dance (no save) upon the first character who does so. Most of the succubi can be skirted around. The circles cannot be "jumped" over.
- This area has several "false" mirrors – be careful about running through one into a succubus' circle.
- During the final fight, you'll get a warning about Graz'zt's eyes "burning with obsession"; during this phase of the battle, anybody that meets his eyes (aka looks at him while he's looking at you) will get hit by "Magnificence of Glory". This debuff makes you too afraid to perform any actions, and Immunity from Fear does not protect you.
- It will appear that Graz'zt escapes to a sixth area (a cave with a central chest), but this is only for his final speech – you have defeated him (just not killed him); let the demon have his say, and collect your reward when the quest ends.
- Devious bonus: 16 or fewer monsters killed +7% Bonus.
- Discreet bonus: 17–21? or fewer monsters killed +5% Bonus.
- Aggression bonus: 84 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Chests: 2
- 1 for defending or killing the mindflayer
- 1 end chest
- Collectables: Four
- Two Fungi in the hedge maze, one east and one west.
- Fungus in the fourth area, in the southwest corner
- Adventurer's Pack next to the end chest
- NPC rewards: Standard level-appropriate items; no renown on Legendary.
Named Chest Drop
|Name ( picture )||CR||Type||Race|
|Corrosive Rust Monster ( view • )||Aberration||Rust Monster|
|Dretch ( view • )||Evil Outsider||Demon|
|Drider Warrior ( view • )||Aberration||Drider|
|Drow Warpriestess ( view • )||Elf||Drow Elf|
|Dwarven Miner ( view • )||Dwarf||Dwarf|
|Fiendish Wormling ( view • )||Magical Beast||Purple Worm|
|Graz'zt ( view • )||Evil Outsider||Demon|
|Outpost Guard ( view • )||Elf||Drow Elf|
|Promise of Riches ( view • )||Aberration||Mimic|
|Silent ( view • )||Elf||Drow Elf|
|Succubus ( view • )||Evil Outsider||Devil|
|Vision of Wealth ( view • )||Ooze||Animated Object|
|Zoraxzil ( view • )||Aberration||Mind Flayer|