The Church and the Cult
Blood of Vol cultists are fascinated by death and by the undead.
|The Church and the Cult|
|Takes place in:||Temple of Vol|
|Bestowed by:||Inquisitor Lightbringer|
|NPC contact:||Inquisitor Lightbringer|
|Quest acquired in:||House Phiarlan|
|Patron:||The Silver Flame|
|Free to Play:||Yes|
It has become evident that the cult known as the Blood of Vol has sought a foothold within the city of Stormreach. The Temple of Vol has managed to lure many with its promises of eternal life granted to those most loyal to Vol. Although the Blood has committed no wrongdoing, the Church of the Silver Flame still wants the Temple investigated.
Go to the Temple of Vol and search for evidence.
The questgiver is located on the central platform in House P near the auctioneer.
- Speak to Halpur Selfin, the preacher of Vol
- Defeat the Temple Guardian
- Continue searching the temple
- Explore the hidden passageway
- Examine the book on the pedestal
- Find and consecrate the Altar of Fernia
- Find and consecrate the Altar of Risia
- Find a way to enter the inner sanctum
- Search the inner sanctum
- Defeat Adran ir'Karsmore
- (Optional) Kill Leinar Moonwillow — Bonus (15%): Heroic
- (Optional) Banish the Element of Fernia — Bonus (15%): Heroic
- (Optional) Banish the Element of Risia — Bonus (15%): Heroic
What to Expect
- Traps (fixed, some undisarmable)
- 1 Secret door near the start of the quest is (required) to be found and opened to complete the quest: Secret Door DCs
- Spikes just north of the secret door for the first shrine; the control box is on the northwest pillar just before the hallway
- Fire Zone traps (to the west of the Book of Vol)
- Fire jets aimed at the pillar just past the door; control panel is on the north wall before the pillar
- Fire jet at the top of the stairs just beyond; control panel is on the back of the pillar (west side)
- Fire jet just beyond door around the corner; control panel is to the west of the door before you go through
- Fire jet at the top of the stairway beyond the small hallway; control panel is on the south wall of the hallway, near the end
- Fire jet on the pillar at the bottom of the stairs, aimed towards the stairs; control panel is on the south wall at the base of the stairs
- Ice Zone traps (to the east of the Book of Vol)
- Cold jet just past gate in the northeast corner of the hallway; control panel is on the east wall
- Cold jet just beyond; control panel is on the south wall
- Spinning Blade just past door; control panel is on the south wall before the door
- Spinning Blades in the north section of Ice Mephit room; control panel is on the inner wall just around the corner
- Spinning Blades in the south section of Ice Mephit room; control panel is on the east wall just past the first sarcophagus
- Ice Jets (aimed upwards); no control panel
- Inner Sanctum traps (to the north of the Book of Vol)
- Force traps on the first stairway; control panel is west of the door before you go through
- Sonic traps on the second stairway; control panel is on the west wall just before the stairs
Tips and Misc
- Helpful buffs: Fire Resistance, Cold Resistance, Sonic Resistance, especially if there's no trapper. At harder difficulties, casters enjoy Power Word: Kill and Adran casts Blindness and Destruction, so Deathblock, Deathward and Blindness Immunity items or Remove Blindness spell or pots are helpful. Adran also likes Dominate Person, which Protection from Evil will protect you from, and Flame Strike.
- Breaking the sarcophagi will spawn undead (usually Blackbone skeletons)
- After reading the Book of Vol, two doors open. The west door leads to the Fire Zone and the Altar of Fernia, while the east door leads to the Ice Zone and the Altar of Risia. It doesn't matter in which order you clear the two areas, but there's another shrine behind a hidden door near the end of the Ice Zone, so you may want to clear that way first.
- The Spinning Blade traps in the Altar of Risia room don't engage until you approach the outer walls; the ice jets fire intermittently and can't be disabled.
- When you consecrate the Altar of Risia, the sarcophagi in the room will break, spawning Blackbone Thralls.
- Adran is resistant to Electricity (Acid seems to affect him normally), and often saves against Cure spells for half-damage; he's also immune to Turning, although Dispelling may make it easier for melees to hit him.
- Partway through the fight, he will disappear, summoning a pack of black wolves to fight for him. After this, he'll disappear and reappear constantly during the fight.
- A sufficiently fit adventurer with enough reflexes can lure Adran to the fire traps. The traps will eventually kill him if he stays long enough in the fire line. This strategy can be used if your weapons are not working because of damage reduction or not enough DPS.
- Leinar Moonwillow will appear guarding the Book of Vol.
- The Element of Fernia will appear guarding the Altar of Fernia
- The Element of Risia will appear guarding the Altar of Risia.
- Aggression bonus: 49 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 64 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 78 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Tamper bonus: 7 or more traps disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Neutralization bonus: 9 or more traps disarmed +20% Bonus.
- Ingenious Debilitation bonus: 11 or more traps disarmed +30% Bonus.
- Perception bonus: 2 or more secret doors discovered +10% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 51 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 67 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 82 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Chests: 2
- 2 at the end for killing Adran ir'Karsmore (Vampire)
- Collectables: Four
- Bookshelf on the east wall in the room with the Book of Vol
- Cabinet on the south wall just before the door to the Ice Mephit room
- Rubble just past the lever in the Fire Zone (southeast corner of the alcove)
- Adventurer's Pack in the southwest corner of the Inner Sanctum
- NPC rewards: Random +3-4 weapons and armor; choose from 8
Named Chest Drop
||Silver Longbow||Long Bow||
||8||The Church and the Cult, End Chest|
||Bloodplate Armor||Full Plate||
||8||The Church and the Cult, End Chest|
||Cloak of Shadows||Cloak||
||7||The Church and the Cult, End Chest|
||Fragment of the Silver Flame||Trinket||
||7||The Church and the Cult, End chest|