Rainbow in the Dark
The Den of Obscurity is a dark, treacherous series of caverns largely untouched by man for thousands of years.
|Requires access to : The Vale of Twilight|
|Rainbow in the Dark|
|Takes place in:||Den of Obscurity|
|NPC contact:||Walther Daedal|
|Quest acquired in:||The Vale of Twilight|
|Free to Play:||No|
While exploring the Vale of Twilight, you happened on the Den of Obscurity. The underground lair will prove difficult to traverse due to its lack of light.
- This is a walk-up quest, automatically bestowed by reaching the Den of Obscurity. The reward NPC (Walther Daedal) is located in Meridia - go up the ramp on the north side of the temple to the tavern area; Walther is in the northeast corner.
- Pick up the illuminated sceptre
- Explore the Den of Obscurity
- Place scorpion crest in socket
- Solve the secret of the Rainbow
- Search the chamber for treasure
- Defeat the ancient guardian
- (Optional) Slay Memnezerez — Bonus (20%): Heroic
What to Expect
- A near pitch-black dungeon environment! There is almost no light for the majority of the twisting and treacherous path, so party must rely on (and stay close to!) one player with a "torch", the Radiant Arc, provided at the start of the quest (see Tips below).
- Traps (random, some undisarmable)
- Collapsible floors
- Spawning/respawning monsters
- Puzzles (mandatory: rainbow puzzle and optional: clock-like puzzle)
- Traps (random)
- Pike covered Pit traps (Like ones in the Reaver's Fate)
- Button (random) in intersections summon fire elementals
- Trapped portal randomly before the shrine, can be disabled, otherwise you need to kill the elementals to be teleported back.
- Three traps on the way to the optional Locked chest.
Tips and Misc
- Useful buffs
- Acid resist
- Electricity resist (for casters and gnoll arrows)
- Fire resist (for the end boss).
- Useful gear: Everbright (Rust Monsters), Summoned Repair Shop.
- The one and only source of light for much of the quest is provided at the start:
- Radiant Arc - : Everbright, , , , , — 3 Charges (Recharged/Day:3) (Minimum level 14, Drops on Leaving Adventure)
- One player should equip the scepter, which will illuminate a short distance around them. The item can be traded between characters as normal, and is dropped if the character leaves the quest. The illumination persists even while dead, however a dead character cannot trade an item.
- Keep in mind that this item is ML 14, while the quest minimum level is 12 - some characters may not be able to equip this item.
- Cosmetic weapons block the illumination effect.
- This special weapon can be wielded by Monks without becoming uncentered.
- Other, brief sources of light or vision are possible, enough to get through the quest.
- Some spells/wands can allow enough of a glimpse to proceed:
- Some runearms such as Khyber's Fury give brief illumination
- Alternate graphics effects caused by Shadow Walk work for their duration.
- Lantern Archons and similar summons no longer work as alternative light sources.
- Rainbow puzzle: Simply jump on each button until it's lit in the color desired. With the door in front of you, starting on the left end: set the colors to Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet. (For players who are colorblind or have monitors with poor color resolution, an on-screen caption will display the color you've just set.) Some people get fancy by un-lighting all the buttons, then running down the row repeatedly, skipping one more button on each run, but this isn't necessary.
- Clock puzzle: The lever that makes the floor fall is random. Russian roulette, one mistake and you're falling onto lots of pointy things.
- A chest found behind a hidden door, leading to long (southernmost hallway) room, requires a strong Search and Disable Device DC to find and disable the Control panels for the traps that cause the floor to fall, making chest access impossible. Keep the rest of the party out of that room as your trapper does their work.
- Have someone with a free hand* grab the Radiant Arc and wield it. Go straight ahead slowly and kill stuff - the mobs you get depend on the instance but tend to be in small groups. Jump down the hole when you get to it, turn around and basically follow the path east back the way you've come - except you're on the lower level now. The path will curve to the south.
- (* Probably a caster, 1-hand fighter, or just your lowest DPS character.)
- When you get to the intersection, go left (east). Watch out for the button on the floor if there is one in your instance. A short way down the corridor, there is a three-way intersection. Turn right if you want to try for the "clock puzzle" chests, or fight your way down the rest of the corridor and get the Crest of the Scorpion. Fight your back to the first intersection or cast Dimension Door and kill off the stuff that has respawned.
- When you get to the intersection again, go west. Fight your way down the corridor, put the crest in the door and eventually you'll get to a shrine. When you approach the shrine, you'll be teleported to a small room where you will need to kill four Fire Elementals. Once you've dispatched them, you'll be teleported back to the shrine.
- Continuing south past the shrine are a bunch of windlasher gnolls. Take them out and turn right (west). Keep going until you get to the silver key. There is a boarded up passage here - smash down the boards if you want to go for the optional Beholder chest.
- Go back to the gnoll intersection. Turn right (south) and cross the pit.
- At the next intersection, either:
- Go right (west) if you have a rogue who can disable the traps. If you can't disable the traps, you will not be able to access the locked chest.
- Go left (east) towards the end of the quest. Complete the puzzle, park the Radiant Arc, buff yourselves senseless, defeat end boss Turun-Palo (red-named Fire Elemental, CR29 on Elite) and loot the chest.
- Aggression bonus: ~187 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Tamper bonus: 3 or more traps disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Neutralization bonus: 4 or more traps disarmed +20% Bonus.
- Ingenious Debilitation bonus: 5 (Hard/Elite: 7) or more traps disarmed +30% Bonus.
- Perception bonus: 2 or more secret doors discovered +10% Bonus.
- Chests: 5 possible
- NPC rewards: Random item (up to 15th level accessories, up to 14th level weapons and armor)
- Several of the Vale quest names are references to song names from ~80s hard rock/heavy metal bands:
- "Running with the Devils" is the first track from Van Halen's 1978 album.
- "Rainbow in the Dark" is a track and a single from Ronnie James Dio's 1982 album.
- "Let Sleeping Dust Lie" is a bit more obscure but most likely a reference to a track from Michael Schenker Group's 1981 album . The track is titled "Let Sleeping Dogs Lie"
- "Turun Palo" is the Finnish name for the .