Running with the Devils
A section of eladrin have settled into a stronghold located beneath the Vale of Twilight, away from their brethren in Meridia. What purpose does this detachment serve?
|Requires access to : The Vale of Twilight|
|Running with the Devils|
|Takes place in:||Eladrin Stronghold|
|NPC contact:||Grechin Nalberto|
|Quest acquired in:||The Vale of Twilight|
|Free to Play:||No|
A curious looking tree stump has led you into the eladrin stronghold. Why have the eladrin set up a base of operations in this part of the Vale? Explore the stronghold to find out why and seek out additional information about the missing Twelve members.
- This is a walk-up quest, automatically bestowed by reaching the Eladrin Stronghold. The reward NPC (Grechin Nalberto) is located in Meridia - in the tavern at the top of the central temple.
- Explore the Eladrin Stronghold
- Speak with Syloth Sayvon
- Breach the door
- Slay Palin Valance
- Lower the bridge
- Slay Taeron Rimond
- Rescue Tolarn Rhawn
- Slay the devil party
- (Optional) Find the source of the invasion — Bonus (40%): Heroic
Tips and Misc
- To complete the optional, slay Nosrat. The portal closes upon death.
- Instant death works well here, but be forewarned that Ghaele Cleric Eladrin will cast Death Ward upon themselves, and its nearby allies.
- The enemy types featured in this quest are Chaotic Outsiders extraplanars and subject to Banishing weapons.
- Bralani Eladrin are vulnerable to Cold Iron. They are also Good-aligned, making any weapons with Good-alignment ineffective.
- Target Clerics first, as they have the ability to heal their nearby allies.
- One useful tactic for the end fight is to have one party member climb the stairs and talk to Tolarn, while the others wait off to the right hand side beyond the stairs. Two of the orange-named devil party will spawn here, Faizi Larix (who can be energy drained and 'insta-killed') and one of the orthons who can be defeated in short order. This allows fighting only two Named first, then the remaining three in sequence, rather than all 5 at once.
- Have the party stand in the tunnel to the left of Tolarn, beyond some rubble.
- Have one character talk to Tolarn and rush back out of his room before the devils actually spawn.
- One devil will spawn near the party and aggro, and you can fight him alone.
- Then wait for the two Orthons to move into their own tunnels, and either pull the left one, or head into Tolarn's room and kill him.
- Proceed to kill what's left one by one.
- The devils will all spawn in their tunnels when you talk to Tolarn, then after a moment, they will all run to Tolarn. After a few moments in the center room with no aggro, they will run back to their individual tunnels with their backs to the main room. This allows you to easily confront them one by one in their spawn locations.
- Recommended Buffs: True Seeing, Fire Resistance, Electricity Resistance, Cold Resistance
- Aggression bonus: 60-61 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 80-82 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 98 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 12 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 15 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 19 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Chests: 3 total, 1 for optional devil fight.
- Collectables: 3
- 2 Fungus Patches in a cage in the SE corner of the first big room
- Rubble in the end chamber
- NPC rewards: Standard
- Several of the Vale quest names are references to song names from ~80s hard rock/heavy metal bands:
- "Running with the Devils" is the first track from Van Halen's 1978 album.
- "Rainbow in the Dark" is a track and a single from Ronnie James Dio's 1982 album.
- "Let Sleeping Dust Lie" is a bit more obscure but most likely a reference to a track from Michael Schenker Group's 1981 album . The track is titled ""Let Sleeping Dogs Lie"