Let Sleeping Dust Lie
The Crimson Foot live beneath Meridia, their existence helps maintain a natural balance creating environmental harmony in the Vale of Twilight.
|Requires access to : The Vale of Twilight|
|Let Sleeping Dust Lie|
|Takes place in:||Crimson Foot Hive|
|NPC contact:||Taaniel Badhri|
|Quest acquired in:||The Vale of Twilight|
|Free to Play:||No|
While exploring the Vale of Twilight, you found a submerged area of ruins underneath Meridia. Swim through and explore the cavern. Perhaps more clues about the missing Twelve members can be found within.
- This is a walk-up quest, automatically bestowed by reaching the Crimson Foot Hive. The reward NPC (Taaniel Badhri) is located in Meridia - go up the ramp on the north side of the temple to the tavern area; Taaniel is in the South-west corner.
- Navigate the submerged ruins
- Speak with Ketriel Ephon
- Read the first journal entry
- Slay Kasi Nokhba
- Pick up the key
- Read the second journal entry
- (Failure) Don't kill more than 5 Crimson Foot
- Slay Yre Kubuts
- Pick up Yre's Key
- (Failure) Protect the Crimson Foot Queen
- Slay Kkomglol
- Gain entry to the mausoleum
- Slay Phaosth
- Drop the magical barrier (3 Wheels)
- Slay Thazgol
What to Expect
- Traps (fixed, disarmable)
- Protect an NPC (mandatory)
- Spawning/respawning monsters
- Puzzle (mandatory: puzzle wheels)
- Quest failure (if the Spider Queen dies)
- Quest failure (if more than 4 spiders are killed after the first journal is picked up)
- Spikes. Upon dropping down hole in the ground. Control panel is next to pillars.
- Spikes. Before entering the first room after entering the hole. Panel behind pillar.
- Spikes. In room next to Phaosth. Panel is in the main hall entryway by pillar.
Tips and Misc
- To start this one off, be sure to have some method of water breathing (or be a Warforged). A short swim is required to get you down into the spider lair, but it can be a little difficult to navigate the submerged ruins. The easiest way to avoid wrong turns and getting turned about, is to keep going down, and corkscrew to the left when given the opportunity. This will lead you directly to the entrance of the spider tunnels.
- There are no respawns in this quest. There are a limited amount of spawning ogres encountered during the "Protect the Crimson Foot Queen" objective.
- Useful buffs:
Don't kill the spiders!
- The fail-objective "Don't kill more than 5 crimson foot" does not appear until you read the first journal; before this, you can kill as many as you want (but you miss out on an optional chest, see below). If you are worried about failing, temporarily bypass the first journal and clear all the lower caves, killing any spiders you run across without risk of failing this objective. Once the the main areas are clear, then come back and read the first journal, and continue to the upper areas (where you must still avoid killing spiders!).
- Killing any spiders, before or after reading the journal, will ruin your chances at a bonus chest, the one you get for zero spider kills.
- If you want to try and keep all the spiders alive, you will need precise targeting. No area-effect spells or attacks, no Warlock auras or cones or chains, no auto-targeting or auto-attack, no Improved Precise Shot, no damaging "guard" effects, no two-handed weapons with glancing blows/strike through, etc. Single-target spells like Finger of Death or Power Word: Kill are superior, since all bolt and ray effects, as well as ranged weapons, can hit the wrong target if a spider moves in front of your intended target at the last moment during a chaotic fight.
- Ranged attacks can get you through the quest with enough caution. A good jump skill - with a buff if needed - will allow you to jump right before performing every shot and send your projectiles straight at your target from a high angle, making the risk of hitting a spider by accident very low. Repeating X-bow users should switch down to a single-action crossbow for this quest, as accidentally killing spiders with the rest of your volley once the target is dead is practically guaranteed to happen.
- Check your gear before the quest to make sure you don't have any defensive enchantments that would deal damage to attackers on hit.
- The Ogres can do AoE damage that can damage or kill nearby spiders.
- There are explosive barrels scattered throughout the quest. Avoid fighting anywhere near them, as enemies can blow them up with any attack and completely fail the quest with just one barrel if you're unlucky.
- Once all of the nearby ogres in a section of the tunnels are dead, the spiders in that area deactivate; they won't attack you and you can't harm them.
- Since the spiders are immune to acid damage, you can use acid area spells like Acid Blast or Acid Fog exclusively to simply and easily complete the quest.
- Another good strategy is to get someone who can move quickly while stealthed to lure the spiders away from each fight before engaging the ogres. Spiders can see through stealth and they immediately aggro only on the sneaking character, while the ogres remain unaware, allowing for the rest of the party to sweep in and kill them.
- Building a specific weapon for this quest can also help with accidental blows. The prefixes (acid, holy, good) and the suffix Giant Bane are good choices, since the spiders are True Neutral and Immune to Acid, whereas the ogres are Evil Giants, and the end boss is an Evil Outsider (Rakshasa).
- Spiders are immune to enchantment spells, so if you throw up an Otto's Sphere of Dancing, it will stop the rakshasa, but not the spiders. This can be useful if you need to lure the spiders away to use AOE effects on the rakshasa.
- Bard fascinate works well on both ogres and spiders, then you can pull the ogres off separately to kill them.
- Talk to Ketriel Ephon
- Find Journal Entry 1 (random location in the lower caves, the 1s on the map) Once read, 5 spider no-kill in effect.
- Find and kill ogre magi Kasi Nokhba (random location, off main central area, 2s on the map)
- Grab key that drops, find Journal Entry 2 (random location in upper caves, 3s on map)
- Kill ogre magi Yre Kubuts (location 4 on map), grab his key that drops
- Go to queen spider in center, protect her from ogre assault
- Kill rakshasa Kkomglol when he spawns in assault --> assault ends; grab chest next to shrine
- Drop down behind the gate at the south end of the main chamber (weakened floor opens after the fight) and beware of traps (purple X on map), kill all ogres, ogre magi and rakshasa outside of forcefield
- Turn wheels toward correct symbols (see map) to drop forcefield.
- Kill Thazgol. When he dies, 5 spider no-kill revoked. Quest complete, go east for chest(s).
- The first goal of the quest is to find the first journal, which is located randomly in one of the lower caves.
- If you intend to clear the spiders/ogres before the "Don't kill more than 5 spiders" objective is triggered, do not pick up the journal until you have cleared everywhere else.
- Once the journal is found, the ogre mage Kasi Nokhba must be found and killed to get his key, which will open the doors leading to the upper walkways (see details below).
- There are three upper walkways - west, southeast, and northeast - each of which has two of the six cave paths leading to it. The first journal appears down one of the caves, and the second journal will appear on one of the three upper walkways. It's fairly obvious which caves lead to which walkway.
- The South-west and North-west caves lead to the west walkway. The shrine is located on the west walkway.
- The South and South-east caves lead to the southeast walkway. The South-east cave is the cave through which you enter the quest.
- The North and North-east caves lead to the northeast walkway.
- It's possible, using a Monk's Abundant Step, a Favored Soul's Leap of Faith, or similar abilities (such as that found on the Cannith Boots of Propulsion) to reach the upper floors. Unannounced changes in the quest have increased "invisible" walls on some past locations (rubble, typically), leaving only torches and tiny ledges on pillars for classes with persistent long-jump ability to reach an upper location.
- Note that if you don't have a way to reach the upper floors by jumping, you will need to read the first journal in order to get Kasi Nokhba to appear so you can get the key to the doors leading to the upper floors.
- Kasi Nokhba appears randomly down one of the passageways leading off the main cavern, he is always rather close to the entrance passage way so you do not need to go all the way to the end to find him. A quick way to find him is to take a peek down each passage way till you find him. He can spawn in the passageway leading to the entrance of the quest.
- As an ogre mage, he can use invisibility.
- After getting the key, you can use Q (the default key for selecting interactables) to find the second journal and identify which upper walkway has the journal. For example looking up, whilst in the main room; use the map as guidance as the general area when to trying the q key to locate the second journal - you may need to move around a little to get the correct angle for the journal to get focus. This minimizes the risk in clearing walkways and killing spiders by mistake.
- Yre Kubuts spawns near the locked door in the main cavern leading to the Crimson Foot Queen after reading the second Journal.
- There are only 4 spiders in the final fight, so if you successfully get through the quest without killing any spiders, you can freely kill all the spiders in the final fight while completing the main objective (you will still lose the "no spiders killed at all" bonus chest).
- Phaosth drops a key which opens the door to the final boss. You can also pick this Locked door, however it's pointless to do so to avoid the fight as "Slay Phaosth" is a required objective, and the quest won't complete if you skipped him and had picked the door instead.
- At the end fight, in the boss room, have someone lure off the spiders while the rest kill the bosses in order to keep them safe.
- The safest/fastest strategy for the end fight if you have some casters in the party: Hit each of the four spiders with Flesh to Stone, and the rakshasa with Finger of Death/PK. Pull Thazgol far down the corridor away from the spiders in case they break. Now you can safely use strong AOE spells to slay him quickly.
- One of the mini bosses is named "Kkomglol", When you first hear the DM announce his name it doesn't sound unusual... but break it up and it reads: kk-omg-lol - common netspeak meaning "Okay, oh my god, I'm laughing out loud".
- Aggression bonus: ~193 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: ~254 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Tamper bonus: 2 or more traps disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Neutralization bonus: 3 or more traps disarmed +20% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 47 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 61 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 75 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Chests: 2-4
- One at the "protect the named spider" shrine
- One at the end, in room east of end fight (chest not shown on map)
- One optional for 0 spider kills (lost with a single spider kill at ANY point in the quest)
- One optional for killing all the ogre magi. This chest appears even after quest is completed, so the easiest way to do this is to complete the necessary parts to end the quest, then run around and kill ogre magi (no need to worry about not killing spiders) until the chest pops.
- Ingredients: Locust Husk, Chipmunk Funk, Shavarath Stone of Strategy
- Collectables: 5
- Rubble in the main chamber
- Adventurer's Pack in the main chamber
- Fungus Patch in the main chamber
- Rubble on the North-east walkway
- Fungus Patch on the Southeast walkway
- NPC rewards: Random item (up to 15th level accessories, up to 14th level weapons and armor)