Trial by Fury
|Trial by Fury is the 1st quest in the Menace of the Underdark: The Queen of the Demonweb .|
|These quests can be completed in any order.|
|Trial by Fury • The Deal and the Demon • Reclaiming the Rift|
Lolth has entrusted an Orb to the Demon Lord Grulemith, who guards it deep within his labyrinthian domain.
|Requires access to : Menace of the Underdark|
|Trial by Fury|
|Takes place in:||The Domain of Lord Grulemith|
|Quest acquired in:||Eveningstar|
|Patron:||Purple Dragon Knights|
|Purchase:||Menace of the Underdark|
The War Wizard Walak tells you that Lolth has given an arcane Orb to Grulemith, one of her Demon Lords. This Orb is being used to capture and suppress the power of the Thread of the Weave, who is being held captive by Lolth's.
If this Orb were stolen, it would disrupt Lolth's schemes, and possibly help the Thread of the Weave escape. Go to the Domain of Lord Grulemith inside the Demonweb and obtain the Orb by any means necessary.
- For the quickest path to get to this quest, see The Demonweb/Quests.
Spoiler Warning: Spoiler material below this point!
- Speak to Grulemith
- Find and defeat Grulemith the Goristro
- Find the Golden Orb of Lolth behind Grulemith's Crucible
- (Optional) Trial of Wits: Get five Wisdom Jewels — Bonus (9.9%): Epic
- (Optional) Trial of Might: Get five Strength Jewels — Bonus (9.9%): Epic
- (Optional) Trial of Endurance: Get five Wisdom Jewels and five Strength Jewels — Bonus (14.8%): Epic
- (Optional) Defeat Shufarix in the Theatre of Pain — Bonus (9.9%): Epic
- (Optional) Best Cixsir in the Domain of Suffering — Bonus (9.9%): Epic
- (Optional) Defeat Tsirrik in the Eyrie of Terror — Bonus (9.9%): Epic
- (Optional) Defeat Nilaphax, the Yugoloth Warden of Wisdom — Bonus (5%): Epic
- (Optional) Defeat Maljuph, the Yugoloth Warden of Strength — Bonus (5%): Epic
- (Optional) Slay the drider guardian Cho'ahz (Appears twice, once in the Abyss of Torment and again in The Nest of Corruption, spawns after killing all the spiders from the Fourth Trial of Might, no XP for the second time you kill it, but gives chest both times) — Bonus (9.9%): Epic
- Poison Spell Ward in the Theater of Pain
- Evil Spell Ward in the Eyrie of Terror
- Poison Spell Wards in the Domain of Suffering
- Fire Spell Wards in the Abyss of Torment
Tips and Misc
- You make your way across a chain of floating chunks of stone, connected by web-bridges and maybe a couple Feather Fall shortcuts.
- If you fall/jump off one of the islands or bridges you will port to the start. Enemies may spawn when you do so, however.
- Lots of pools of acid, so have protection/resistance to that (or just be careful!).
- At a half-dozen points, glowing magic barriers block your path, and you must face a "trial", a test of either Wits or Might, your choice. Might is a fight, Wits is a quick puzzle. A jewel appears next to the lever you chose; picking it up allows that character to unlock the gate to proceed (it disappears from inventory when you do).
- You can choose to do either or both Trials; there is a XP bonus for completing 5 of a type (either or both), and another one for completing 5 of both.
- Choosing both trials at one barrier allows the group to gather both gems, and one can be used for the next barrier, skipping that trial.
- Puzzles for the Trial of Wits are exactly the same as the 3 × 3 Shroud puzzles. Use the lower buttons to light up nine "red hands" on the upper console.
- Cubicalninja Shroud Solver
- They look as if they should be timed – after a short time the console de-lights – but they aren't; you can keep going even after the lights go out, with no penalty.
- At the start, talk to Grulemith or the quest will not complete until you go back and talk to him. You can use Dimension Door, or just jump off the side at the end as a shortcut to get back if you forgot.
- Start pushing southeast, then just follow the web bridges, remembering your goal is the far southwest.
- Trials of Might foes:
- Isle of Withering: A few spiders
- Haven of Malice: A couple of dretches followed by a couple of Yugoloth mercenaries
- Hollow of Destruction: A couple of dretches followed by a couple of renders
- Grotto of Hopelessness: A few spiders
- Nest of Corruption: Lots and lots and lots of spiders. And then more spiders. And then Dro'ahz.
- This Trial is much harder than any of the others, so be prepared. Fortunately, you can cheerfully skip and still get the optionals, especially if Cho'ahz spawned earlier in the quest.
- Sweep of Despair: A few spiders followed by a couple of draegloths
- After this Trial, go northwest, which is first "up" to higher ground. Then continue south/southwest.
- Shortly after this, you cross a small stone-paved bridge over an acid lake and to some driders; after that, the path leads "up" to higher ground, and to the end fight.
- There are lots places that are not intuitive to reach, with a lot of potential extra chests.
- To get to the Haven of Malice and Cixsir without using a Jewel, find the acid waterfall near the base of the web ramps leading to the Eyrie of Terror. There's a gap in the wall at the back which you can jump through.
- Bug: Cixsir's chest only appears after his allies are slain, and he triggers it to be unlocked. Thus if you kill him before you kill his allies, it can not be unlocked. So be sure to kill the other Yugoloth near him before you kill him.
- Reasonably easy to solo on Epic Normal and Hard, on any class. Though it can take quite some time and resources to figure out for first timers as it is a huge quest with many optional paths and wrong turns.
- When you get to Defeat Maljuph and Nilaphaxd, the Yugoloth Wardens optional. You may notice a sealed door, in the area between the steps where the two Yogoloth appear, which only opens after defeating the final boss. There are also two Gravity switches close to the Yogoloth, you need to press one to open the area for the final Boss fight.
- To retrieve the Golden Orb, once the boss is dead just go back down to the area where the Yugoloth Wardens were posted. The previously sealed door will now be open leading to the Orb; you'll need to fight a few mobs to get to the Golden Orb.
- The hidden Locked Chest near the end is roughly below the steps that lead to the Golden Orb (Open Lock DC of 81 is required on Epic Normal). The Level 20 or 20/4 Rogue Hireling can unlock it eventually if you can manage to get them to it. The 20/4 Rogue succeeds within a few attempts by using a Greater Heroism clicky on him and activating his "Showtime" ability on his hotbar.
- To get to that hidden Locked Chest near the end; go to the area with the narrow stone-paved bridge over an acid lake (where Driders were guarding the other side of the bridge). As you stand on the stone bridge turn around to face the way you originally came to the bridge (face north easterly). Travel north easterly from that bridge to that rock island's cliff edge; look down below, look down north westwards, and you should see a hidden web bridge lower down the rock face. The web bridge leads to bowl with a Locked chest within it, drop down to the "web bridge" to get to it. To get back up, turn around and go down the web bridge and keep going straight on. You'll see a series of rock ledges to jump up. Keep jumping up and you'll end up at the arch with the spiders' web on the island you had just climbed down from.
- Hirelings don't like the web bridges, and can freeze up and become completely useless until you can get them to teleport to your position.
- Aggression bonus: 112 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 137 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: >158 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Tamper bonus: 3/4 or more traps disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Neutralization bonus: 4/6 or more traps disarmed +20% Bonus.
- Ingenious Debilitation bonus: 5/7 or more traps disarmed +30% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 18 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 23 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 28 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Notes: Conquest may not be possible.
- At a certain point (maybe on entering the Domain of Suffering) the trap counter is adjusted (second value)
- Chests: 7
- One for completing (Optional) Defeat Shufarix in the Theatre of Pain
- One for completing (Optional) Defeat Cixsir in the Domain of Suffering
- One for completing (Optional) Defeat Tsirrik in the Eyrie of Terror. Locked, requires high DC (Lock DC)
- One for completing (Optional) Slay the Drider Guardian Cho'ahz
- One for Slaying Drider Guardian Cho'ahz (again) after the Fourth Trial of Might
- One locked chest down below, hidden near the Drider-guarded bridge. Locked, requires high DC (Lock DC)
- One end chest for defeating Grulemith the Goristro.
- Each chest has a 25%/50%/100% (EN/EH/EE) chance of 1 random commendation dropping.
- Most of these can drop unbound +3 or +4 tomes, but only on Epic Hard and Epic Elite respectively.
- Collectables: 7
- Bones in a hidden corner in the Theatre of Pain
- Adventurer's Pack in the Eyrie of Terror
- Bones behind a wall you need to jump over, just before the Hollow of Destruction
- Bones in the Sweep of Despair
- Adventurer's Pack on a remote island north east of Sweep of Despair
- Adventurer's Pack near the pool of acid just before the end
- Bones to the right as you approach the Golden Orb
- NPC rewards: standard
Named Chest Drop
||Planar Focus of Subterfuge ( )||Trinket||
||22||or||Trial by Fury, Bottom Chest or End Chest ; Menace of the Underdark: The Queen of the Demonweb, Quest chain end reward|
||Hide of the Goristro ( )||Leather||22||Trial by Fury, Grulemith's and hidden chest|
||Spidersilk Robes ( )||Robe||22||Trial by Fury, Shufarix chest|
||Stone Heart ( )||Docent||
||22||Trial by Fury, Shufarix and Tsirrik chest|
|Name ( picture )||CR||Type||Race|
|Astral Harrower ( view • )||Vermin||Spider|
|Cho'ahz ( view • )||Aberration||Drider|
|Cixsir ( view • )||Evil Outsider||Yugoloth|
|Demonic Swarmhorde Spider ( view • )||Vermin||Spider|
|Demonweb Terror ( view • )||Magical Beast||Spider|
|Draegloth ( view • )||Evil Outsider||Demon|
|Dretch ( view • )||Evil Outsider||Demon|
|Furious Render ( view • )||Evil Outsider||Demon|
|Grulemith ( view • )||Evil Outsider||Demon|
|Maljuph ( view • )||Evil Outsider||Yugoloth|
|Nilaphax ( view • )||Evil Outsider||Yugoloth|
|Ravenous Dretch ( view • )||Evil Outsider||Demon|
|Shufarix ( view • )||Evil Outsider||Demon|
|Soulherd Drider ( view • )||Aberration||Drider|
|Tsirrik ( view • )||Vermin||Spider|
|Vicious Deathjump Spider ( view • )||Vermin||Spider|
|Yugoloth Mercenary ( view • )||Evil Outsider||Yugoloth|