Trial by Fury
Warning: The information on this page might be inaccurate due to a game update.
If you know any information on this page to be in error, please fix it by clicking thelink above.
Reason: Needs to have parameters updated due to changes in Quest.
Lolth has entrusted an Orb to the Demon Lord Grulemith, who guards it deep within his labyrinthian domain.
|Requires access to : Menace of the Underdark|
|Trial by Fury|
|Takes place in:||The Domain of Lord Grulemith|
|Quest acquired in:||Eveningstar|
|Patron:||Purple Dragon Knights|
|Free to Play:||No|
The War Wizard Walak tells you that Lolth has given an arcane Orb to Grulemith, one of her Demon Lords. This Orb is being used to capture and suppress the power of the Thread of the Weave, who is being held captive by Lolth's.
If this Orb were stolen, it would disrupt Lolth's schemes, and possibly help the Thread of the Weave escape. Go to the Domain of Lord Grulemith inside the Demonweb and obtain the Orb by any means necessary.
- Speak to Grulemith
- Find and defeat Grulemith the Goristro
- Find the Golden Orb of Lolth behind Grulemith's Crucible
- (Optional) Trial of Wits: Get five Wisdom Jewels +5% Bonus.
- (Optional) Trial of Might: Get five Strength Jewels +5% Bonus.
- (Optional) Trial of Endurance: Get five Wisdom Jewels and five Strength Jewels +7% Bonus.
- (Optional) Defeat Shufarix in the Theatre of Pain +5% Bonus.
- (Optional) Defeat Cixsir in the Domain of Suffering +5% Bonus.
- (Optional) Defeat Tsirrik in the Eyrie of Terror +5% Bonus.
- (Optional) Defeat Nilaphax, the Yugoloth Warden of Wisdom +2% Bonus.
- (Optional) Defeat Maljuph, the Yugoloth Warden of Strength +2% Bonus.
- (Optional) Slay the Drider Guardian Cho'ahz +5% Bonus.
- May appear twice, once in the Abyss of Torment and again in The Nest of Corruption, spawns after killing all the spiders from the Fourth Trial of Might, no XP for the second time you kill it.
- Poison Spell Ward in the Theater of Pain
- Evil Spell ward in the Eyrie of Terror
- Poison Spell Wards in the Domain of Suffering
- Fire Spell Wards in the Abyss of Torment
Tips and Misc
- If you fall/jump off one of the islands or bridges, you will port to the start. Enemies may spawn when you do so, however.
- Don't forget to talk to Grulemith at the start or the quest will not complete until you go back and talk to him. You can jump off the side at the end as a shortcut to get back if you forgot.
- There are actually six of each trial.
- Puzzles for the test of wits are exactly the same as 3x3 Shroud puzzles.
- Cubicalninja Shroud Solver
- They look as if they should be timed - after a bit, the console de-lights - but they aren't; you can keep going even after the lights go out, with no penalty.
- Trials of Might foes:
- Isle of Withering: A few spiders
- Haven of Malice: A couple of dretches followed by a couple of Yugoloth mercenaries
- Hollow of Destruction: A couple of dretches followed by a couple of renders
- Grotto of Hopelessness: A few spiders
- Nest of Corruption: Lots and lots and lots of spiders. And then more spiders. And then Dro'ahz.
- This Trial is much harder than any of the others, so be prepared. Fortunately, you can cheerfully skip and still get the optionals, especially if Cho'ahz spawned earlier in the quest.
- Sweep of Despair: A few spiders followed by a couple of draeglotha
- There are lots places that are not intuitive to reach, with a lot of potential extra chests.
- Bug: Cixsir's chest only appears after his allies are slain, and he triggers it to be unlocked. Thus if you kill him before you kill his allies, it can not be unlocked. So be sure to kill the other Yugoloth near him before you kill him.
- Reasonably easy to solo on epic normal and hard, on any class. Though it can take quite some time and resources to figure out for first timers as it is a huge quest with many optional paths and wrong turns.
- Chest near the end is roughly below the steps that lead to the orb and has a DC of ~82 Lvl 20 and 20/4 Hireling Rogue will open it eventually if you can manage to get them to it. 20/4 Rogue succeeds within a few attempts by using a GH clicky on him and activating his "showtime" ability on his hotbar.
- Hirelings don't like the web bridges, and can freeze up and become completely useless until you can get them to teleport to your position.
- Aggression bonus: 117 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 165 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Tamper bonus: 3 or more traps disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Neutralization bonus: 4 or more traps disarmed +20% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 18 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 23 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 28 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Notes: Conquest may not be possible.
- Chests: Seven
- One for completing (Optional) Defeat Shufarix in the Theatre of Pain
- One for completing (Optional) Defeat Cixsir in the Domain of Suffering
- One for completing (Optional) Defeat Tsirrik in the Eyrie of Terro. Locked, requires high DC (Lock DC)
- One for completing (Optional) Slay the Drider Guardian Cho'ahz
- One for Slaying Drider Guardian Cho'ahz (again) after the Fourth Trial of Might
- One locked chest down below, hidden near the Drider-guarded bridge. Locked, requires high DC (Lock DC)
- One end chest for defeating Grulemith the Goristro.
- Each chest has a 25%/50%/100% (EN/EH/EE) chance of 1 random commendation dropping.
- Most of these can drop unbound +3 or +4 tomes, but only on Epic Hard and Epic Elite respectively.
- Collectables: 6 (possibly more; there are many hidden areas in this quest)
- Bones in a hidden corner in the Theatre of Pain
- Adventurer's Pack in the Eyrie of Terror
- Bones behind a wall you need to jump over, just before the Hollow of Destruction
- Bones in the Sweep of Despair
- Adventurer's Pack near the pool of acid just before the end
- Bones to the right as you approach the Golden Orb
- NPC rewards: List of 10 random items, Potion of Major Mnemonic, chance at +3 Tomes
Named Chest Drop
- Hide of the Goristro - Light Armor (Total Armour Bonus 14, MDB 14): Random Ability Bonus ( , , , , , or ), , , , Random Tactics Bonus ( , , , or Tendon Slice 10%), Upgrade: 375 Purple Dragon Knights favor and 15 Commendation: Druids of the King's Forest adds [ML:22, ] (Chest Loot: Grulemith Chest, Bottom Chest)
- Planar Focus of Subterfuge - Trinket: Random Ability Bonus ( , , , , , or ), Set Bonus [ML:22, ] (Chest Loot: Grulemith Chest, Bottom Chest)
- Spidersilk Robes - Robe: Random Ability Bonus ( , , , or ), , , , , , , Upgrade: 375 Purple Dragon Knights Favor and 15 Commendation: War Wizards adds [ML:22, ] (Chest Loot: Shufarix, Cixir, Choazz and Tsirrik Chests)
- Stone Heart - Docent: (Adamantine Body +21 / Mithral Body +10 / Composite Plating +4), Random Ability Bonus ( ), , , , Upgrade: 375 Purple Dragon Knights Favor and 15 Commendations of appropriate type adds , , , , and [ML:22, ] (Chest Loot: Shufarix and Tsirrik Chests)