Warning: The information on this page might be inaccurate due to a game update.
If you know any information on this page to be in error, please fix it by clicking thelink above.
Reason: Needs to have parameters updated due to changes in Quest.
Dozens of people have vanished mysteriously from this quiet neighborhood near the Harbor during the last few days.
|Requires access to : Harbinger of Madness|
|Takes place in:||The Saltire District|
|Bestowed by:||Godwick Spurge|
|NPC contact:||Godwick Spurge|
|Quest acquired in:||The Harbor|
|Patron:||The Free Agents|
|Free to Play:||No|
Godwick Spurge, a reporter for the Stormreach Chronicle, is writing a story on the mysterious disappearances that have been happening in the Saltire District. He wants you to help him investigate.
- This is part one of Harbinger of Madness chain.
- The quest itself is located in the lower Harbor, under the north-south suspension bridge
- Find the location of the mysterious warforged
- Collect evidence on the mysterious warforged (3 total)
- Gain entrance to the warforged's home
- Kill Mister Smythe
- (Optional) Speak with Burno Vass (enables Mark of Madness optional)
- (Optional) Apply the Mark of Madness to mad people (8 total) — Bonus (20%): Heroic
- (Optional) Return to Burno Vass and tell him you have marked the mad people
- (Optional) Speak with Guard Prosser (enable Swiftfoot gang optional)
- (Optional) Find the Swiftfoot gang headquarters — Bonus (1%): Heroic
- (Optional) Return to Guard Prosser and tell him about the gang
- (Optional) Slay the madman Burno Vass — Bonus (12%): Heroic
- (Optional) Slay the madman Guard Prosser — Bonus (10%): Heroic
- (Optional) Slay Pale Fire — Bonus (10%): Heroic
What to Expect
- Traps (fixed)
- Spawning/respawning monsters
- Quest item collection (mandatory: 3 pieces of evidence)
- Blade traps in the north, just before the Swiftfoot HQ; control panel is on the wall to the east before them
- Blade traps in the underwater passage to the south; control panel is on the north side of the doorway
Both traps can be easily timed.
Tips and Misc
- Recommended buffs at all times:
- There are a lot of hard-hitting melee attackers and several Mind Flayer spellcasters in this quest. A young beholder may spawn next to the well on some difficulty settings and can anti-magic your buffs. Monsters in this quest like to set up ambushes for you, so keep your eyes open.
- Freedom of Movement does NOT block the Sticky effect.
- Post-U12, there are many fewer madpeople around, but still more than are required for the Optional. They may randomly spawn in different spots.
- When you're near a piece of evidence (schoolroom in the east, armory in the southwest, Sir Borsynne's room in the west), the display goes... odd. Additionally, noises such as screams begin. Both of these effects disappear once you pick up the evidence, or if you leave the room. A similar effect happens when you enter Mister Smythe's house, which fortunately disappears when you open the door further in.
- When you pull the lever in the northeast which diverts the water flow so you can head west, several Xorian Renders and Greater Thaarak Hounds spawn. It's possible to get the two pieces of evidence to the west, then backtrack east for the third and then head to the Mister Smythe's house without doing so, if you're worried about fighting them.
- Evidence 1) A scrap of paper inside the book reads, "BILL OF SALE. One dozen schoolchildren, in good condition. Ship to Mister Smythe. Payment on delivery."
- Evidence 2) The final entry in the diary reads, "This Smythe fellow is involved in questionable activities. But I'll use the Borsynne name to keep the guards away so long as he keeps sending platinum my way. In any case, no one will notice the disappearance of some common street rabble.
- Evidence 3) The last entry in the account book reads, "Eight dozen sturdy iron cages, warranted to hold prisoners. Ordered by Mister Smythe and paid in full."
- Once you get into the Swiftfoot HQ, which is in the far north, Taken start appearing (the first group being where you exit out). A few Renders spawn when you open the chest in there.
- There is a single rat that spawns every 3 minutes in the Swiftfoot Gang Headquarters (on one of the dead bodies). It is the only way to get onslaught and conquest.
- Pale Fire may (will?) appear in the southeastern courtyard. He's a red-named Thaarak Hound that deals fire damage and burning effect on hit, similar to fire elementals, and buffs itself with an intermittent Fire Shield (Cold) once its HP gets low enough.
- Z'miizith does not use Anti-magic cone, so you can safely cast spells throughout the fight.
- Z'miizith can hit the party with Chaos Frenzy, which causes them to suffer vicious damage for each successful melee attack.
- Z'miizith's Prismatic Spray has a chance to petrify and kill the party on failed saves, bypassing both deathblock and Warforged immunities.
- If you rush past him before he changes, the party can huddle against the door in the back, then attack the Taken which spawn there without alerting Z'miizith.
- Returning to and talking with either Burno Vass or Guard Prosser will cause both of them to attack you, and it is HIGHLY recommended not to fight either of them without a full good stunner. The Prosser has extremely high hp but low attack. Bruno casts highly damaging and debuffing spells such as polar ray, energy drain and hold monster but has lower hp. If you do not stun or kill off Bruno, he may kill off the entire party with ample ease.
- Aggression bonus: 118 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 153 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 188 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Tamper bonus: 1 or more trap disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 35 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 46 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 56 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Notes: Onslaught & Conquest are possible, but not worth it:
- It takes an additional 104 minutes minimum to reach onslaught after getting aggression (killing the single spawn rat).
- It takes an additional 121 minutes minimum to reach conquest after getting onslaught (killing the single spawn rat). From here you should have 183 kills.
- Kill the 4 Taken that spawn when you confront Z'miizith before you kill him and you should net 188 kills for Conquest.
- Chests: 4
- 1 optional for finding the Swiftfoot gang headquarters (found in the northern part of the map)
- 1 optional for killing Pale Fire (Thaarak Hound, found in the South-west section of the map)
- 1 optional for killing the madmen Burno Vass and Guard Prosser (Dwarf and Human, found near the entrance)
- 1 at the end for killing Z'miizith (Chaos Beholder)
- Collectables: Eight
- Bookshelf near the first lever, in the bar's basement (in a room behind a tapestry)
- Mushroom in the school playground
- Mold in the North-east courtyard, at the top of the sewer pipe leading down to the lever
- Adventurer's Pack in the northeast courtyard, at the beginning of the sewer pipe heading west
- Mold above both ends of the sewer tunnel in the south
- Adventurer's Pack in the northwest
- Mushroom in the northwest
- NPC rewards: Random items, ML 10-13; choose from 7
Named Chest Drop
||Insanity ( )||Great Sword||
||14||Missing, End chest|
||Turbulent Epee ( )||Rapier||
||14||Missing, Swiftfoot HQ chest|
|Name ( picture • New Monster )||CR||Type||Race|
|Blackfang Bat ( view • )||Animal||Bat|
|Burno Vass ( view • )||Dwarf||Dwarf|
|Giant Rat ( view • )||Animal||Rat|
|Greater Thaarak Hound ( view • )||Evil Outsider||Hellhound|
|Guard Prosser ( view • )||Humanoid||Human|
|Mad Dog ( view • )||Animal||Dog|
|Mind Flayer Mage ( view • )||Aberration||Mind Flayer|
|Pale Fire ( view • )||Evil Outsider||Hellhound|
|Rat ( view • )||Animal||Rat|
|Swiftfoot Caster ( view • )||Humanoid||Human|
|Swiftfoot Gangster ( view • )||Humanoid||Human|
|Taken ( view • )||Aberration||Taken|
|Xorian Render ( view • )||Evil Outsider||Demon|
|Z'miizith ( view • )||Aberration||Beholder|