The Spawn of Whisperdoom
Chittering sounds echo through the Kar-Thul caverns. Whisperdoom hungers still.
- For the Level 4 quest by a similar name, see Whisperdoom's Spawn.
|The Spawn of Whisperdoom|
|Takes place in:||Whisperdoom's Lair|
|Bestowed by:||Eriephaus d'Phiarlan|
|NPC contact:||Eriephaus d'Phiarlan|
|Quest acquired in:||House Phiarlan|
|Free to Play:||Yes|
- Lair: Find Whisperdoom
- Village: Slay Vortarg Kar-Thul
- Slay Whisperdoom
- Slay 7 Kar-Thul Enchanters
- Slay Whisperdoom's Daughters (5 total)
- (Optional) Slay 50 Spawn of Whisperdoom — Bonus (20%): Heroic
- (Optional) Vanquish the Kar-Thul Tribe (40) — Bonus (13%): Heroic
- (Optional) Slay Darak Kar-Thul — Bonus (6%): Heroic
- (Optional) Slay Aeducan Gobban — Bonus (19%): Heroic
- (Optional) Slay Nurag Kar-Thul — Bonus (6%): Heroic
- (Optional) Acquire Splinterskull Battle Standard — Bonus (7%): Heroic
- (Optional) Acquire Splinterskull Historical Documents — Bonus (7%): Heroic
- (Optional) Acquire Silver Goblet — Bonus (7%): Heroic
What to Expect
- Traps (random)
- Spawning/respawning monsters
- Quest item collection (optional: 3 items)
- Many webbed barriers that can only be broken through with melee weapons.
Sonic at entrance to village spikes in middle sections and blades near the end. These traps appear randomly and may not always be present.
Tips and Misc
- When you start this quest you'll zone into a Jungle Clearing. There are several monsters you'll encounter in the clearing, but the entrance to the main quest is roughly to the NNE (a little to the left of how you start facing). There is a rest shrine right outside the quest entrance, so any SP/HP lost fighting the monsters while you get there are easily recovered. You can also just run past the monsters and take some hits, but why bother when you can just fight them and then rest up?
- Optional: Dispatch all Kar-Thul sentries - 18 total (500 XP)
- For the quest itself, acid resist is very helpful, as both Whisperdoom and other spiders have acid attacks. Whisperdoom also has a DoT fire + acid damage attack. Some of the random traps in the first part of the quest, The Village area, are sonic damage, so that can help too if you don't have a (good) trapper.
- Whisperdoom is a magical beast, so magical beast bane weapons are more effective.
At the entry to the dungeon itself, on the left at the very first intersection there will be a locked door blocked by a magical force barrier and, beyond that, seemingly impenetrable webs. Ignore it for now, it will take care of itself.*
- (* You have to get the Silver Key to the door (from The Village area), and also kill 5 offspring and 7 enchanters (in The Hatchery area) to drop the barriers. But the door near the entry will be unlocked when you unlock its "twin", located in another tunnel north of it, and at that end of The Hatchery - and that's where you're headed. Unlocking either one unlocks the other.)
- Note - If the party feels strong enough to split up, one group can clear The Hatchery to drop the barriers while while another gets the Silver Key to unlock either door. In this case, the southern door may be closer.
1st: The Village (southeast section)
- Turn right at this intersection, then go south at the next to enter "The Village". There are multiple random traps located in the village, usually on doorways and in the corridor on the right just before the shrine. In the far south east room kill Vortarg Kar-Thul and loot the Silver Key from the chest. The key will be used to unlock either the locked door back near the entrance, or its twin that is due north of it in "The Hatchery" of the dungeon, where you'll go next. The optional rare Darak Kar-Thul can spawn in the village before the shrine.
2nd: The Hatchery (northeast section)
- Exiting back out of the Village, continue north and you'll enter cobwebbed tunnels of "The Hatchery" (and you'll know when you're there). You need to explore every dead-end and kill 5 of Whisperdoom's offspring and 7 Kar-Thul Enchanters to drop the force barriers to continue west. Note that the Enchanters can use invisibility, so can easily be missed if you're in a hurry - look around in each branch of the tunnels carefully before moving on.
- Note - The Dungeon Master voice-over mentions "...You know from previous experience that Whisperdoom is extremely protective of her offspring..."; this is a reference to the Level 4 quest Whisperdoom's Spawn (in the Tangleroot Gorge chain), where you would have met, but almost certainly could not kill, Whisperdoom.
3rd: The Lair (western section)
- Once you've killed 5 Spawn and 7 Enchanters, use the Silver Key to unlock either door (the second is in The Hatchery due north of one by the entry) - opening one opens the other as well. This takes you into "The Lair". Whisperdoom can be found anywhere inside the lair area wandering in search of the destroyers of her young. The optional Aeducan Gobban can spawn inside the north-central secret door, next to the group of Shambling Corpses.
- If you have opened the doors to the west, but cannot go through, you have not finished slaying all 7 Kar-Thul Enchanters and/or all 5 Whisperdoom's Daughters; go find them and finish the job.
End fight - Whisperdoom
- Whisperdoom can be anywhere in The Lair, and is very tough to take down - be on your guard. She has fast healing and is Hasted. She inflicts Burning Blood (1d8 acid damage plus 1d8 fire damage every 2 seconds) in addition to Horrid Wilting, which does massive AoE damage based on difficulty. She also has damage reduction but is vulnerable to Light, so Searing Light and similar effects work well. Negative spells like Harm or Inflict Critical Wounds work as well (works best for higher level casters).
All three of the trade-in items are randomly disbursed in The Lair area, either behind oneof the secret doors (see map), in a locked chest in the halls (Lock DCs), or laying in the open somewhere - keep your eyes open. There is only one of each - first come, first served.
- Monster notes
- Kar-Thul enchanters will attempt to vanish when near death and will reappear usually behind the party.
- Spawn of Whisperdoom use Melf's Acid Arrow and huge amounts of webbing.
- The daughters are just bigger (more powerful) versions of the spawn.
- Aggression bonus: 127-8 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 166 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 210 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Tamper bonus: 2 or more traps disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Perception bonus: 2 or more secret doors discovered +10% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 46 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 60 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 74 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Chests: 4-5:
- One for killing Vortarg Kar-Thul
- One in Hatchery
- Two in Lair
- One optional for slaying Darak Kar-Thul
- Collectables: 6
- Cabinet in the second "room" of the Kar-Thul halls
- Adventurer's Pack in the west chamber of the first Hatchery
- Rubble in the northeastern-most chamber
- Bookshelf in the secret chamber with Aeducan Gobban (in the north)
- Crude Altar in the western secret chamber
- Moss in the western secret chamber
- NPC rewards: Standard, and in addition, 3 collector items that you turn in to the Ungurz Lieutenant <Tangleroot Artifact Collector> back in House Phiarlan across from the caravan give you another list that might contain following rare named items:
||10||The Spawn of Whisperdoom, Turn in Splinterskull Historical Documents to the Ungurz Lieutenant for a small chance to get it|
||Crystallized Widow's Eye||Trinket||
||9||The Spawn of Whisperdoom, Turn in Splinterskill Battle Standard to the Ungurz Lieutenant for a small chance to get it|
||Widow Weave Cloak||Cloak||
||9||The Spawn of Whisperdoom, Turn in Silver Goblet to the Ungurz Lieutenant for a small chance to get it|