Visions of Tangleroot overrun with Whisperdoom's skittering brood disturb your thoughts as you prepare for battle.
|Requires access to : Tangleroot Gorge|
|Takes place in:||Outer Splinterskull Fortress|
|Bestowed by:||Chief Ungurz|
|NPC contact:||Chief Ungurz|
|Quest acquired in:||Tangleroot Gorge|
|Free to Play:||No|
Search the caves of Splinterskull for the nest of the spider-mother Whisperdoom. Destroy her egg sacs to break her alliance with Chief Yarkuch.
- Destroy 20 Egg Sacs
- (Optional) Slay 3 Whisperdoom's Daughters — Bonus (10%): Heroic
What to Expect
- Traps (fixed)
- Spawning/respawning monsters
- Ability check (optional; 16 Strength required to open a door)
- Locked doors (optional)
- Spike trap in the western storeroom, in the corner beyond the door; control panel is on the western wall
- Electrical trap in the small room off the throne room; control panel is just inside the door on the north wall
- Blade trap (on both walls) down the corridor past the second shrine; control panel is on the north wall
- Spinning blade trap further down the corridor; control panel is on the south wall immediately after the blade trap
Tips and Misc
- The more things change, the more they stay the same... one change is that there are now two mushrooms in the ooze cave to the southwest.
- Possibly due to a bug, the intro text (U7-U10) reads the same as the seventh quest in this chain - Zulkash, witch doctor of the Dark Six, awaits your coming. Mocking laughter echoes in your mind.
- Whisperdoom's Daughters can be located randomly in these locations: throne room, just before the second shrine near the lookout, the southern spider cave on the cave loop, southeast spider cave, the eastern guard room, or right at the entrance of the northeast spider cave. They're basically slightly tougher black widows.
- Whisperdoom is located in the northwest spider cave, as are her egg sacs. She has very high AC, DR and resistance to elements, as well as Regeneration. She can be killed, but it generally requires characters far over the level of the quest, and there is no reward for doing so.
- The chest in Whisperdoom's chamber can be opened at any point. Beware because Whisperdoom will attack and can interrupt you while you're opening the chest. With patience, it's possible to lure her away to allow others to loot in safety. However, it requires staying fairly close to her, as getting too far away will cause her to turn around and quickly head back.
- Lure Whisperdoom to the second shrine, for some reason it will not advance beyond the big rock. I posted a hireling behind the rock next to the mushroom collectible to keep the spider occupied. Go through the trapped area, jump off the lookout, and go back into the chamber to finish the job.
- It is possible to Lure Whisperdoom past the rock and to the traps. But as there is no difference in the Monster Manual between this Whisperdoom and Whisperdoom of "The Spawn of Whisperdoom", it is not recommended.
- The prisoner who died of scorpion poison 2 quests ago, and who was a zombie last quest, is now a skeleton. Think he'll be a ghost next quest? Stay tuned and find out!
- Devious bonus: 4 or fewer monsters killed +7% Bonus.
- Aggression bonus: 63 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 82 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 100 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Tamper bonus: 2 or more traps disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Neutralization bonus: 3 or more traps disarmed +20% Bonus.
- Ingenious Debilitation bonus: 4 or more traps disarmed +30% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 62 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 81 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 100 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Notes: ** Onslaught and Conquest can be achieved by repeatedly killing the respawning spiders in the northeast spider cave.
- Chests: Four (last three are the same ones in all Outer Fortress quests)
- One in the northwest spider cave for destroying 20 egg sacs
- One in the room past the scorpion pit in the eastern cell block (requires STR 16)
- One behind the locked door in the central chamber
- One on the lookout ledge down the inner corridor past the second shrine
- Collectables: Ten (same spots in all Outer Fortress quests)
- Two Mushrooms down the South-west tunnel
- Adventurer's Pack down the South-east tunnel
- Bookshelf in the alcove as you first enter the stronghold proper
- Adventurer's Pack in the spider pit in the western cell block
- Cabinet in the central chamber
- Mushroom just before the second shrine
- Mushroom on the lookout ledge
- Mushroom down the North-west tunnel around the loop
- Mushroom down the South tunnel around the loop
- NPC rewards: None
|Name ( picture • New Monster )||CR||Type||Race|
|Black Widow ( view • )||Vermin||Spider|
|Brown Spider Prince ( view • )||Vermin||Spider|
|Brown Spider ( view • )||Vermin||Spider|
|Darkfang Spider ( view • )||Vermin||Spider|
|Gray Ooze ( view • )||Ooze||Gray Ooze|
|Hobgoblin Cleric ( view • )||Goblinoid||Hobgoblin|
|Hobgoblin Guard ( view • )||Goblinoid||Hobgoblin|
|Hobgoblin Infiltrator ( view • )||Goblinoid||Hobgoblin|
|Hobgoblin Patrol Leader ( view • )||Goblinoid||Hobgoblin|
|Night Scorpion ( view • )||Vermin||Scorpion|
|Skeleton ( view • )||QL1:; QL2: ; QL3: ; QL?:||Undead||Skeleton|
|Whisperdoom's Daughter ( view • )||Magical Beast||Spider|
|Whisperdoom ( view • )||Magical Beast||Spider|
|Wolf ( view • )||Animal||Wolf|
|Worg ( view • )||Magical Beast||Wolf|