All adventure packs are free for a limited time! Until April 23, use the code
DUNGEONCRAWL in the DDO Store to unlock a plethora of free quests!
More info: https://www.ddo.com/news/ddo-free-dungeoncrawl
Game mechanics • Newbie guide • In development • DDO Store • Social Media
Challenges • Classes • Collectables • Crafting • Enhancements • Epic Destinies • Favor • Feats
Glossary • Items • Maps • Monsters • Places • Quests • Races • Reincarnation • Skills • Spells
Please create an account or log in to build a reputation and unlock more editing privileges, and then visit DDO wiki's IRC Chat/Discord if you need any help!
The King's Forest
|Menace of the Underdark Adventure Areas|
| Requires access to adventure pack|
The King's Forest was once kept clear of bandits, poachers, and all manner of unsavory creatures. But with the Purple Knights and War Wizards desperately fending off the Drow onslaught, the forest is now a dangerous place.
This adventure zone is accessed through Eveningstar and The Underdark. The King's Forest is a level 21 Wilderness Adventure Area, allowing characters from levels 20 to 25 to get full experience.
Once you talk to Milus Sherton in the Purple Dragon Knight forward outpost, you can talk to him in Eveningstar to be sent there anytime.
Unlike most explorer zones, the King's Forest has scattered Bear Traps and false floors (Pit Covers). They are randomly located and can be disabled as any normal traps.
- Bear traps (CR:21); Disable DC: 20:Fail; 48:Success; (Suspected: 44-48)
- False Floors (CR:21); Disable DC: 20:Fail; 64:Success; (Suspected: 44-64)
In addition to the Rare Encounter / Slayer / Explorer missions typical to all wilderness adventure areas, the following quests can be found in this zone:
Note: If you complete all of a faction's encounters, the faction member near the faction trader will offer you a standard quest reward list, as well as the bonus XP gained from completing all the encounters.
Clerics of Amaunator
- A Grim DisturbanceDefeat the Arch-Necromancer - Kill Guldryx Avrenyl, red-named arch-necromancer. Other drow will also spawn. Chest. (2,250 XP)
- Sabotaged SuppliesQuickly defeat the Drow Saboteur - Vynd Shydirra is sabotaging some supplies; quickly kill him before he can finish his task! Ignore the rest of the drow and concentrate on him; killing him in time completes the encounter. (2,250 XP)
- One Wolf-man packA number of bandits are searching the body of a dead villager. Their leader warns you not to approach when they see you; attacking any of them causes him to turn into an Alpha Werewolf. (This encounter can only spawn at night.) (2,250 XP)
- The Master NecromancerDefeat Durilghar Szind - Kill Durilghar Szind, red-named arch-necromancer, and his two undead. Chest. (2,250 XP)
- Burn the DeadSpeak with the Cleric of Amaunator. - A cleric wants help cremating some villagers so they can't be raised; unfortunately, things go pear-shaped when he's assassinated by a drow necromancer, who then starts to raise the dead. Avenge the cleric and put the villagers to rest! Rewards a chest (2,250 XP)
- The Slave Caravan Save the villagers from the Drow - The Drow have raided homes on the outskirts of Eveningstar and are hauling their new slaves back to the Underdark. Luckily, you've stumbled upon them just in time to save them! Defeat the Drow slavers and their nefarious Priestress without letting any of the villagers die. Rewards a chest (2,250 XP)
- Light in the Darkness A group of Amaunator's Priestesses believe they have figured out a divine ritual for staving off the Darkening once and for all, but they've been separated from their Dragon Knight escorts. They are convinced that now is the time to act, so you will need to protect them until they finish. Priestess of Amaunator, Head Priestess, does not respond when spoken too. The quest starts on its own shortly after trying to talk to her. (2,250 XP)
- Property of PietyRescue the Priestess of Amaunator - A warband of Drow broke camp to rest and offer up one of Amaunator's faithful as a sacrifice to Lolth. Two priestesses seem to be having a disagreement over a proper way to offer such a sacrifice. All that matters now is finding just the right time to strike and save their captive. Kill Teira Szind and Alakraena Xorlarrin, red-named Priestesses of Lolth, and their minions to save the Priestess of Amaunator in her carriage. The Priestess does not need to be protected, as she cannot die. (2,250 XP)
Bonus for solving all encounters: 14,400 XP
Druids of the King's Forest
- Lights OutInvestigate the suspicious tree - Using the tree will spawn Will-O'-Wisps; killing the wisps will give credit for the quest (1,500 XP)
- The Hag's Deceit (2,250 XP)Defeat the Hags - A Lost Villager will occasionally shapeshift into a hag; defeat her to win the encounter. No chest.
- Dinner GuestsPartake in the feast - A group of hunters has set up camp in the woods. They have promised you a safe place to rest, and offered a warm meal that will be ready to eat come night time. To start the quest, speak to the hunter after nightfall. They will turn into werewolves and attack. With either ending, you may click on the Roast Venison to gain Hunter's Feast effect; +20 bonus hit points and +1 morale bonus to attacks and will saves for 1 hour Appears on map as The Hunters' Feast (It seems that if the task info "Partake in the feast." with a period, it would eventually turn to "Dinner Guests") (2,250 XP)
- The Hunters' FeastPartake in the feast - A group of hunters has set up camp in the woods. They have promised you a safe place to rest, and offered a warm meal that will be ready to eat come night time. To start the quest, speak to the hunter after nightfall. They do not transform but merely offer you the feast. This ending does not give you credit for the encounter and no XP is awarded. With either ending, you may click on the Roast Venison to gain Hunter's Feast effect; +20 bonus hit points and +1 morale bonus to attacks and will saves for 1 hour Appears on map as The Hunters' Feast (It seems that if the task info "Partake in the feast" without period, it would eventually turn to "The Hunters' Feast") (2,250 XP)
- Wrath of the DryadThe war with the drow has had a devastating effect on some of the King's Forest denizens, including the generally peaceful Dryads. These ones in particular have taken their ethical codes to the extreme and are punishing anyone who dares lay harm on any creature in their forest. The Druids would appreciate you taking care of these overzealous Dryads. (1,500 XP)
- YarabagaDefeat Yarabaga and her pets - Kill the forest hag Yarabaga and her Dire Bears. One chest. In an apparent mistake, the hag is orange-named but is not named Yarabaga. (1,500 XP)
- The Corrupted GroveDefeat the corrupted Dryad - Expect Dryads and Vine Horrors (1,500xp)
- TrappedHelp the trapped fox; turns into Protect the fox from wolf attacks - Free a fox caught in a bear trap, and then protect him. Once complete, he changes into a druid. (2,250xp)
Bonus for solving all encounters: 14,400 XP
- Former NeighborsSave the villagers from the undead - Kill a drow necromancer and several zombies to save a villager. (1,500 XP)
- Slaves to Many MastersDefeat the Drow. Save at least one Villager. - Drow have taken some villagers as slaves. You came across them on their way back to the Underdark. Save as many of them as possible from a cruel fate. Drow Priestess, Drow Necromancer, Slaver and several chained slaves. Unchain at least one slave and kill all the drow to complete the quest (Collar DC). One method is to quickly kill the slaver and free a slave mid-fight; the priestess will sacrifice slaves to regain HP, but will ignore freed ones. Having a designated liberator serves the dual purpose of guaranteeing the encounter's success and shortening the fight with the priestess. Note that freed villagers can still be killed by regular attacks, and the necromancer likes AoEs - try to draw the drow away from the villagers before freeing them. (1,500 XP)
- The Lost VillagerHelp the lost villager - Although the Villager tells you, that you can bring him either to Eveningstar, or even the nearest Cormyr army encampment, at the moment only the forward outpost at the waypoint works. The villager has CR 15, has a very high Intimidate skill. (1,500 XP)
- Money or LifeSave the villager from bandits - Bandits are taking advantage of the fact that the Purple Dragon Knights are preoccupied with the war, and using the opportunity to strike against lone travelers. The villager has CR 15, armed with a shortsword, healable by your party. (2,250 XP)
- The AntidoteGet some Dryad Tree Sap for the Eveningstar Healer - Vials of Dryad Tree Sap can be gathered by defeating Dryads. (750 XP)
- Big Old RedDefeat Big Old Red and his pack - Kill some werewolves, including the red-named Big Old Red. This encounter spawns randomly around midnight, even if you are not nearby. If they are not killed during night, they become Sleeping Strangers (1500 XP)
- The Shopkeeper's SalvationFree the captured shopkeeper - A villager is in a cage surrounded by drow; killing the drow will grant your party access to a reagent vendor. (1,500 XP)
- Dividing the LootHelp the two parties resolve their conflict - Mediate between adventurers (lead by Jonabas Foreman) and bandits (lead by Devian Trell) over who should get some treasure. Diplomacy, Bluff, or Intimidate checks; deciding in favor of the Adventurers grants access to the chest upon successful completion. (750 XP)
Bonus for solving all encounters: 14,400 XP
Purple Dragon Knights
- Bolster the LinesHelp the outnumbered Purple Dragon Knights - Several Knights (and War Wizards) are under attack; help defeat their drow foes! (1,500 XP)
- The Knight's CollarRemove the Purple Dragon Knight's Slave Collar without harming him - Requires removing a slave collar from a Purple Dragon Knight. Chest and quest XP rewarded upon success. (750 XP)
- Silent HuntersDefeat the Drow hunters (1,500 XP)
- The Knight-AspirantAid Jobun Fyfe - Jobun wants to join the Purple Dragon Knights; however, to do so, he must slay the dragon Urklauth. And you must help him! Rewards some chests and five piles of gold (the piles of gold can be looted before the battle is over, however); Jobun is quite self-sufficient and can often defeat the dragon without much help from you. Instead of many other rare encounters, Urklauth can only be found in the clearance between Elminster's 28th and 33rd Message (3,000 XP)
- The Knights' PlightKill the Drow without killing the Knight - Drow have enslaved a Purple Dragon Knight; you must kill them without also killing him. The Knight will fight you and can be harmed, so watch your hires and AoEs. Completion is accomplished when all the Drow are dead; you don't have to free the Knight for your XP. (2,250 XP)
- The Warrior PriestessDefeat Gilcori Dun'Robar and her soldiers - A Drow Priestess and her minions! (1,500 XP)
- Ghost StoryHelp the mourning Knight - Sir Gilsby thinks he should have died along with his brothers-in-arms; however, he's given the opportunity to relive that day! Help him convince his comrades that the Drow are attacking (Bluff, Concentration, Intimidate, Perform, or Transformation: Undead check). (2,250 XP)
- Turning UndeadSome suspicious rustling in the bushes has caught your attention. Whatever's there isn't doing a terribly great job of hiding. It could be someone in need of your help. When you approach the bushes, a Purple Dragon Knight will appear. He needs water collected from the Sanctified Well (see map) to complete the quest. The quest item cannot be carried out of the zone. (2,250 XP)
Bonus for solving all encounters: 14,400 XP
- Blood for DemonsDeal with the Blood Ritual - Graven Milner must not die - A drow priestess is trying to summon demons; unfortunately, the ritual requires a blood sacrifice! Kill the Priestess before the ritual is completed. Dretch and renders may spawn. (3,000 XP)
- Volatile SuppliesDestroy the Drow supplies - break all the crates and barrels. (750 XP)
- Undead HeroesDefeat the Necromancers and their minions (1,500 XP)
- Deal with a DragonThe Green Dragon, Veraxiena, seems more curious than hostile at first. She may even be willing to come to some sort of agreement instead of fighting, e.g. you can bribe her with 25,000 PP. Of course, saying the wrong things may provoke her belligerent nature. Fight her if you must. One way or another, she poses a potential threat to an already overburdened populace. Instead of many other rare encounters, Veraxiena can only be found next to Elminster's 12th Message (3,000 XP)
- Surface BreachDefeat the Purple Worm - A Purple Worm has breached the surface and poses a serious threat to the people of Cormyr! The War Wizards will be grateful if you defeat it so they can focus their efforts on the war with the Drow. (2,250xp)
- Fugitive MedusaSlay Senkess, the fugitive medusa. A previous version of this encounter gave only 500 XP (1,500 XP)
- Plotting with PortalsSpeak to the Head War Wizard - Assist the head Cormyr War Wizard in repulsing Drow attackers coming in through the portal. Approx 4-5 waves. (2,250 XP)
- The Hag's Prize A Forest Hag have a War Wizard captured, but will free him if you can do a series of skill checks. See article for details. (750 xp)
Bonus for solving all encounters: 14,400 XP
King's Forest Denizens
- Slay 10 creatures in The King's Forest: 2,655 XP = 265.5 xp/kill
- Slay 25 creatures in The King's Forest: 3,576 XP = 238.4 xp/kill
- Slay 50 creatures in The King's Forest: 4,815 XP = 192.6 xp/kill
- Slay 100 creatures in The King's Forest: 7,020 XP = 140.4 xp/kill
- Slay 200 creatures in The King's Forest: 11,025 XP = 110.25 xp/kill
- Slay 400 creatures in The King's Forest: 18,855 XP = 94.28 xp/kill
- Slay 750 creatures in The King's Forest: 31,185 XP = 89.1 xp/kill
- Slay 1,500 creatures in The King's Forest: 63,990 XP = 85.32 xp/kill
- Slay 3,000 creatures in The King's Forest: 128,745 XP = 85.83 xp/kill
- Slay 5,000 creatures in The King's Forest: 178,500 XP = 89.25 xp/kill
- Slay 7,500 creatures in The King's Forest: 233,505 XP = 93.4 xp/kill
Elminster has left 40 messages for players to find. These are rumored to help defeat Lolth. Each Message is worth 1800 XP. Collecting all 40 earns a bonus of 18000 XP and clears the fog of war for the entire map.
- Find Elminster's 1st Message
- It may seem folly to say "Well met" when the Darkening approaches. But the years have shown me the best course is oft called foolishness by some. Fools care not for the odds, after all. And fools always believe in themselves. So I say to ye, "Well met!"
- Find Elminster's 2nd Message
- I've been Chosen of Mystra for many a lifetime. Now I have chosen ye to help preserve Mystra's memory, and all of Faerûn. I feel her absence every day, and strive to continue her legacy. Ye might do the same.
- Find Elminster's 3rd Message
- We both search for the Thread of the Weave. If I am such a mighty mage, as some say, what need have I of help? Well, even the powerful cannot do all things in all places at once. And ye should not under-value thy own power and worth!
- Find Elminster's 4th Message
- Ah, but I wish ye had seen Eveningstar before the Darkening! A place renowned for its stately charm. That these lands have been marred by evil is a tragedy. Thy visit is both well and ill timed, in that regard.
- Find Elminster's 5th Message
- This is the King's Forest, in Cormyr. Were it not for the Darkening ye might travel east to the trade crossroads of Arabel, or south to the capital city of Suzail. But war with the Drow has closed those roads. Moreover, describing the splendors of a kingdom is a pursuit best left for peacetime.
- Find Elminster's 6th Message
- The realm of Cormyr is known by some as the Forest Kingdom. Others call it the Land of the Purple Dragon. 'Tis after an old tale of a black dragon, so old his scales had washed to plum, whom Cormyr vanquished with arrows, order, and cunning.
- Find Elminster's 7th Message
- Ye walk in a land of kings. Cormyr has been ruled by monarchy since its founding. There may be those who wish for a rule by Council, yet such change remains a book yet written. Only the royal have held the pen used to write Cormyr's tale so far.
- Find Elminster's 8th Message
- Have ye registered with the authorities, as all who enter Cormyr must? No? Well, I care not whether ye followed the letters of laws. I've bent rules enough myself, when I saw need.
- Find Elminster's 9th Message
- Knew ye not that harming cats has been forbidden by Crown law in Cormyr, from the first? It's been posted on law boards throughout the land for centuries. If there's no such sign between Eberron and here, 'tis only because its theft has not been brought to the attention of a Crown official.
- Find Elminster's 10th Message
- If ye've seen Eveningstar, ye already know 'tis a place worth fighting for. I've known many of the good folk who tend its shops and farms down the years. And I've seen many a brave soul come in search of adventure ... though I believe ye have come farther than most.
- Find Elminster's 11th Message
- These lands felt different before The Darkening. And not just the land is shaped by war. Nay, the people themselves are forever changed by things they see during dark times - some for the better, others for worse.
- Find Elminster's 12th Message
- The Darkening has brought fear and terror into the depths of Faerûn's beating heart, not just here, but throughout the land. I cannot say when it will end. Yet I know this much: that when darkness comes, 'tis up to the honest and the good to restore the light.
- Find Elminster's 13th Message
- This place was peaceful before the Darkening. Now peace is long fled, and savage creatures roam these glades. Even the dryads are angry, outraged by the damage done to their forest.
- Find Elminster's 14th Message
- The drow are linked to the Darkening, though just how remains clouded even to me. Still, ye cannot help but notice that where the drow go in the forest, the Darkening follows. And when the drow retreat, so too does the Darkening.
- Find Elminster's 15th Message
- The Darkening is a symptom of a greater illness, that being the desire for swift, brief power by any means necessary. Those who seek it do not believe it will be brief, but we who have seen these struggles time and again know the truth. So much bloodshed for such meager gain!
- Find Elminster's 16th Message
- I've heard whispers that a prophecy is at the heart of The Darkening. Evil acts are oft provoked by a message both cryptic and enticing. Be it prophecy or not, the Darkening seems made for the drow, since it lets them spread across the surface unchecked by the light of the sun.
- Find Elminster's 17th Message
- Ye might think that this battle is merely for Eveningstar, or for Cormyr. Yet I can tell thee that the Darkening is spread far more widely. Few lands in Faerûn are free from its touch.
- Find Elminster's 18th Message
- The belief that Good shall triumph over Evil is based as much on hope as on history. Good's triumph is not guaranteed, and in truth this struggle is one Good is slowly losing. That is why ye are here.
- Find Elminster's 19th Message
- I've seen many a threat fall before the will of those strong enough to face it. And I have seen many a new threat rise from the ashes of the old. Some call it a balance, a scale that tips back and forth. Bah!, 'Tis more like weeds in a garden; they'll grow to choke all unless ye make an honest effort to keep them at bay.
- Find Elminster's 20th Message
- At times I fear for us all - nay, I say it wrongly. I've seen too much to fear for myself. I fear for ye, for thy neighbors, for Faerûn and Eberron and all the worlds.
- Find Elminster's 21st Message
- Faerûn is a vast place, and the war against the Darkening rages in many locales. Eveningstar's part in the war is but one thread of a vast web, and like a web, it needs just one good pull to unravel. Just mind ye pull the right strand.
- Find Elminster's 22nd Message
- This drow attack is not like others I've seen. Mayhap ye're a sword that will slice through the Darkening to a brighter tomorrow. I hope thy blade is sharp. I fear a dull blade will doom us all.
- Find Elminster's 23rd Message
- Lolth has long haunted our nightmares. Who has not come hard awake in the deep of night after dreaming of countless creatures crawling on our skin? No doubt to the drow such dreams seem a blessing, not a curse.
- Find Elminster's 24th Message
- I feel much power inside these strange fragments ye call dragonshards. No wonder Lolth seeks them for her own plans. Why are they only found on Eberron, I wonder? Oh, but that is a sage's question, for another time. Right now we must make sure she cannot use them.
- Find Elminster's 25th Message
- I am pleased Lolth's schemes have created the bridge between our worlds, for that brought ye here in our time of need. I shall not beg thee for assistance. Let me merely mention that Eberron will surely disappear into the Demonweb if Lolth's plans are left unchecked.
- Find Elminster's 26th Message
- There was a time, and not so long ago, that ye could walk these woods without fear for thy life. Now the Darkening has brought fell things into these green deeps. When the shadows fall, out come those that thrive in the darkest corners of night.
- Find Elminster's 27th Message
- Ye may have seen the Purple Dragon Knights and War Wizards defending Eveningstar and its people. Mayhap ye've already helped them. If so, a blessing upon ye!
- Find Elminster's 28th Message
- This dark night needs a flame, and I need ye to help me kindle it. Ye must find and protect the Thread of the Weave, for that is the key to undoing Lolth's plans here.
- Find Elminster's 29th Message
- 'Tis unfortunate the Dragonshards ye covet can also be used by the Spider Queen to gain hold over Faerûn. I place no blame, just remark that treasure in one world can lead to downfall in another.
- Find Elminster's 30th Message
- Press on, press on! Cast weariness aside during these dark times. Bards will love to recount thy tale in years to come, if ye succeed. And if ye fail—well then, the time of telling tales will be over.
- Find Elminster's 31st Message
- Whosoever finds the Thread of the Weave might determine the future of thy world. It must not be Lolth or her drow who rule the day! We must do the finding first.
- Find Elminster's 32nd Message
- The Drow must not lay their hands on the Thread of the Weave; naught but darkness and doom will follow. So ye must find the Thread first.
- Find Elminster's 33rd Message
- Some believe me incapable of error. Not so. I have made mistakes - many, if truth be told! It's in the learning from our errors that we prove ourselves worthy of respect.
- Find Elminster's 34th Message
- Many things I can see. And much I can do. But protecting the Thread of the Weave is a task for ye alone. I cannot do it. The risk is too great.
- Find Elminster's 35th Message
- It is not true that I always see the future. I look at life's vast tapestry and try to see the gaps where threads are missing. I do not always find them.
- Find Elminster's 36th Message
- Were I given the choice, would I become one of Mystra's Chosen once again? The answer is yes, yes a thousand times over! Mystra did so very much for me. I would willingly sacrifice as much—and more—for her.
- Find Elminster's 37th Message
- I've fought to protect all that is good for many lifetimes. 'Tis the power of Mystra that makes it so. I have seen such changes in these Realms. Changes beyond thy imagining!
- Find Elminster's 38th Message
- Ye see but one portion of a larger war. Even now the drow bring their evil and darkness to all Faerûn. Soon there will be no land that is not darkened by the struggle.
- Find Elminster's 39th Message
- The Darkening creeps across Faerûn, borne by the drow from the Underdark. This threatens both our worlds, so I think it only right that visitors such as thee stand the vanguard in this fight.
- Find Elminster's 40th Message
- I've seen many a kingdom rise and fall, yet I never would have predicted thy visit from another world. We both face hopeless odds, so I ask ye - why not face them together?
Monsters not otherwise included on the rare encounters list. Monster Information
Killing native fauna here does not add to your slayer count (but it does draw the wrath of Dryads).
- Air Elementals
- Acolytes of Lolth
- Bandit Archers - rare
- Bandit Bards - rare
- Bandit Sneaks - rare
- Corrupted Dryads
- Dretches - rare
- Drow Archers
- Drow Necromancers
- Drow Warriors
- Drow Wizards - rare
- Drow Zombies
- Dryad Trees
- Forest Hags
- Furious Renders
- Master Wizards - rare
- Raised Dragon Knights - rare
- Raised War Wizards - rare
- Slain Villagers
- Slavemasters - rare
- Swarmhorde Spiders
- Undead Necromancers
- Vine Horrors
- Water Elementals
- Werewolves - rare
- Astral Panthers
- Dire Bears - Orange named bears
DDOwiki maintenance categories
DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories
Root > DDO library
Root > DDO library > Zones
Root > DDO library > Zones > Wilderness Adventure Areas > Level 21 wilderness adventure areas
Root > DDOwiki meta
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests