The Lost Thread
Warning: The information on this page might be inaccurate due to a game update.
If you know any information on this page to be in error, please fix it by clicking thelink above.
Reason: Needs to have parameters updated due to changes in Quest.
Mystra, the Goddess of Magic, vanished years ago, causing the Spellplague. Since then her temples have been left empty and abandoned.
|Requires access to : Menace of the Underdark|
|The Lost Thread|
|Takes place in:||Abandoned Temple|
|Bestowed by:||Cormul Haythorne|
|NPC contact:||Cormul Haythorne|
|Quest acquired in:||Eveningstar|
|Patron:||Purple Dragon Knights|
|Free to Play:||No|
One of the villagers, Ana Brabener, has been captured by the Drow. Go to the old Temple of Mystra inside the King's Forest and try to save her. Take the left fork out of Eveningstar, travel past a mill building with a rest shrine, and then go east through the swamp.
- This is part of the The Darkening story arc. You must complete it, Impossible Demands, and The Unquiet Graves (in any order) to enable access to The Battle for Eveningstar.
* Search for Ana in the temple
- Continue your search for Ana
- Remove Ana's slave collar
- Take Ana to safety
- (Optional) Free a slave +2.6% Bonus.
- (Optional) Free five more slaves +5.3% Bonus.
- (Optional) Free ten more slaves +13.3% Bonus.
- (Optional) Be a real hero, free twenty more slaves +13.3% Bonus.
- (Optional) Free the captured War Wizard +5.3% Bonus.
- Bear traps behind the secret door to the east (disabling them counts towards traps bonus)
- Fire Jets further down the secret corridor; cannot be disarmed
- Spell wards
Tips and Misc
- Unlocking collars is a straight strength check, or skill + d20 (Data here). (Strength check EE: 56 fails and 60 succeeds)
- Eldrin Szind will run to each corner of the archive and cast two each of water elementals, air elementals, salamander firebrands, and steadfast armor. To avoid him sacrificing any prisoners it is best to enter via the hidden passage.
- Puzzle/lever Room:
- Pull Gate Control 1 lever at top of stairs
- Go down through gate and pull Gate Control 5 & Gate Control 6 levers
- Path to exit should now to clear. These lever positions will keep the path clear:
- UP: gate control levers 2,4
- DOWN: gate control levers 1,5,6
- Lever 3 does not matter, it's only used to access the second extra prisoner cell.
- Lever 4 opens the wizard's cell, be prepared to fight the hidden slaver (don't kill the wizard to get the optional). Make sure you pull the lever again (leaving lever 4 UP) after the fight.
- Killing the slaver (hidden until damaged or spotted) will cause the slaves to stop attacking. However, if another slaver enters range, they will become aggressive again.
- The levers labeled Cell Lever can be used to exit out of cells if you're trapped, and the one at the top of the stairs will open the first prisoner cell. Using them does not affect the above puzzle solution.
- See also
- Ana has a few options that allow you to control her motions. Basic commands are: "Follow", "Stay here", "Go Back". For the backtracking option, Ana will teleport back to the last rest shrine you have visited with her.
- Defeating Phargred Avithoul (dungeon boss) will allow you to uncollar the villagers and purple knights that assist in the battle. While killing the villagers that are under duress will not hurt you (no hit to XP), you may not be able to complete the optional if you haven't already freed 20 slaves.
- Possible bug: killing the first group of slaves in the final fight too quickly (such as with an AoE insta-kill ability) may result in the boss never emerging from behind his magical barrier, and the quest becoming incompletable. Allowing enough time for the second set of slaves to emerge seems to avoid this problem.
- Discreet bonus: 36 or fewer monsters killed +5% Bonus.
- Aggression bonus: >52 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Tamper bonus: 6 or more traps disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Neutralization bonus: 14 or more traps disarmed +20% Bonus.
- Ingenious Debilitation bonus: 17 or more traps disarmed +30% Bonus.
- Perception bonus: 2 or more secret doors discovered +10% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 38 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 50 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 61 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Notes: The numbers required for the traps bonus will change as you continue.
- Chests: 4
- 1 east for defeating Eldrin Szind - contains Weathered Key
- 1 north for defeating Odezzt Avithoul
- 1 west behind a secret door
- 1 End Chest - can drop Commendations
- NPC rewards: ML~20 items
Named Chest Drop
||Ancient Gemstone ( )||Docent||20||or||The Lost Thread, End Chest ; Menace of the Underdark: The Darkening, Quest chain end reward|
||Archaic Device ( )||Rune Arm||20||or||The Lost Thread, End chest ; Menace of the Underdark: The Darkening, Quest chain end reward|
|Name ( picture • New Monster )||CR||Type||Race|
|Air Elemental ( view • )||Elemental||Air Elemental|
|Animated Armor ( view • )||Construct||Animated Object|
|Collared Ana Brabener ( view • )||Humanoid||Human|
|Collared Cormyr War Wizard ( view • )||Humanoid||Human|
|Collared Purple Dragon Knight ( view • )||Humanoid||Human|
|Collared Villager ( view • )||Humanoid||Human|
|Cormyr War Wizard ( view • )||Humanoid||Human|
|Drow Archer ( view • )||Elf||Drow Elf|
|Drow Slaver ( view • )||Elf||Drow Elf|
|Drow Warrior ( view • )||Elf||Drow Elf|
|Eldrin Szind ( view • )||Elf||Drow Elf|
|Odezzt Avithoul ( view • )||Elf||Drow Elf|
|Phargred Avithoul ( view • )||Aberration||Drider|
|Salamander Firebrand ( view • )||Evil Outsider||Salamander|
|Steadfast Armor ( view • )||Construct||Animated Object|
|Swarmhorde Spider ( view • )||Vermin||Spider|
|Water Elemental ( view • )||Elemental||Water Elemental|
|Slave collar DC|