The Lost Thread
|The Lost Thread is the 3rd quest in the Menace of the Underdark: The Darkening .|
|The first three quests can be completed in any order to unlock The Battle for Eveningstar.|
|Impossible Demands • The Unquiet Graves • The Lost Thread • The Battle for Eveningstar|
Mystra, the Goddess of Magic, vanished years ago, causing the Spellplague. Since then her temples have been left empty and abandoned.
|Requires access to : Menace of the Underdark|
|The Lost Thread|
|Takes place in:||Abandoned Temple|
|Bestowed by:||Cormul Haythorne|
|NPC contact:||Cormul Haythorne|
|Quest acquired in:||Eveningstar|
|Patron:||Purple Dragon Knights|
|Free to Play:||No|
One of the villagers, Ana Brabener, has been captured by the Drow. Go to the old Temple of Mystra inside the King's Forest and try to save her. Take the left fork out of Eveningstar, travel past a mill building with a rest shrine, and then go east through the swamp.
- Search for Ana in the temple
- Continue your search for Ana
- Remove Ana's slave collar
- Take Ana to safety
- (Optional) Free a slave — Bonus (5%): Epic
- (Optional) Free five more slaves — Bonus (10%): Epic
- (Optional) Free ten more slaves — Bonus (25%): Epic
- (Optional) Be a real hero, free twenty more slaves — Bonus (25%): Epic
- (Optional) Free the captured War Wizard — Bonus (10%): Epic
- Bear traps behind the secret door to the east (disabling them counts towards traps bonus)
- Fire Jets further down the secret corridor; cannot be disarmed
- Spell wards
Tips and Misc
- † Concentration, Disable Device, Repair, Open Lock, UMD, and "unskilled" (flat low percentage chance). (Slave Collar DC)
- Start up the eastern side. You must reach the large room, aka the "lever room". (The western gate cannot be locked until after the end-fight room.)
- (Optional) In the first side room, Eldrin Szind will run to each corner of the archive and cast two each of water elementals, air elementals, salamander firebrands, and steadfast armor. To avoid him sacrificing any prisoners it is best to enter via the hidden passage.
- The hidden passage starts at the south end of the eastern hall. There are a half dozen bear traps and then 2 areas of (non-disarmable) fire jets. The passage leads north, first past a back door to the 1st side room (and the chest there), then further north up a ladder to the shrine room. The shrine room has a small drop-down, but there is no way back up.
- Puzzle/lever Room:
A series of Spell Wards near the stairs make the direct approach more difficult. Swing counter-clockwise to avoid the first few, before going up the stairs.
- There are 2 sets of 3 levers each, reading left-to-right we'll call these 1–3 (at the top of the stairs), and 4–6 (beyond the first gate). To simply proceed, and skip any optionals, you only need to pull 1, 5 and 6.
- Pull Gate Control 1 lever at top of stairs
- Lever 2, at the top of the stairs, should remain UP.
- Lever 3, at the top of the stairs, does not matter for forward progress, it's only used to access the second extra prisoner cell.
- Go down, through gate, and pull Gate Control 5 and Gate Control 6 levers
- Path to exit should now to clear. These lever positions will keep the path clear:
- UP: gate control levers 2,4
- DOWN: gate control levers 1,5,6
- (Optional) Lever 3, at the top of the stairs, only affects the side cell in the main room)
- (Optional) Lever 4 DOWN opens the wizard's cell; be prepared to fight the hidden slaver (don't kill the wizard to get the optional). Make sure you put the lever again (leaving lever 4 UP) after the fight.
- The levers labeled Cell Lever can be used to exit out of cells if you're trapped, and the one at the top of the stairs will open the first prisoner cell. Using them does not affect the above puzzle solution.
- See also
- Killing the nearby slaver (hidden until damaged or spotted) will cause the slaves to stop attacking. However, if another slaver enters range, they will become aggressive again.
- Warning: Characters late to enter the first northern room will find a closed gate that seems to be barring their way, and there may appear to be no way to open this gate; simply clicking on the gate will move the characters into the next room. However, there is no direct way back (short of Dimension Door, etc.).
- Ana has a few options that allow you to control her motions. Basic commands are: "Follow", "Stay here", "Go Back". For the backtracking option, Ana will teleport back to the last rest shrine you have visited with her.
- After rescuing Ana, begin working south down the western half of the map.
- Defeating Phargred Avithoul (dungeon boss) will allow you to uncollar the villagers and purple knights that assist in the battle. While killing the villagers that are under duress will not hurt you (no hit to XP), you may not be able to complete the optional if you haven't already freed 20 slaves.
- Possible bug: killing the first group of slaves in the final fight too quickly (such as with an AoE insta-kill ability) may result in the boss never emerging from behind his magical barrier, and the quest becoming incompletable. Allowing enough time for the second set of slaves to emerge seems to avoid this problem.
- Discreet bonus: 36 or fewer monsters killed +5% Bonus.
- Aggression bonus: >52 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Tamper bonus: 6 or more traps disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Neutralization bonus: 14 or more traps disarmed +20% Bonus.
- Ingenious Debilitation bonus: 17 or more traps disarmed +30% Bonus.
- Perception bonus: 2 or more secret doors discovered +10% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 38 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 50 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 61 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Notes: The numbers required for the traps bonus will change as you continue.
- Chests: 4
- 1 east for defeating Eldrin Szind – contains Weathered Key
- 1 north for defeating Odezzt Avithoul
- 1 west behind a secret door
- 1 End Chest – can drop Commendations
- Collectables: 5
- Adventurer's Pack right behind a secret door
- Bones near Odezzt Avithoul (east)
- Adventurer's Pack in a cell behind the locked door
- Adventurer's Pack on the ledge near the locked door
- Bones in a dead end of the bypass passage
- NPC rewards: ML~20 items
Named Chest Drop
||Ancient Gemstone ( )||Docent||20||or||The Lost Thread, End Chest ; Menace of the Underdark: The Darkening, Quest chain end reward|
||Archaic Device ( )||Rune Arm||20||or||The Lost Thread, End chest ; Menace of the Underdark: The Darkening, Quest chain end reward|
|Name ( picture • New Monster )||CR||Type||Race|
|Air Elemental ( view • )||Elemental||Air Elemental|
|Animated Armor ( view • )||Construct||Animated Object|
|Collared Ana Brabener ( view • )||Humanoid||Human|
|Collared Cormyr War Wizard ( view • )||Humanoid||Human|
|Collared Purple Dragon Knight ( view • )||Humanoid||Human|
|Collared Villager ( view • )||Humanoid||Human|
|Drow Archer ( view • )||Elf||Drow Elf|
|Drow Slaver ( view • )||Elf||Drow Elf|
|Drow Warrior ( view • )||Elf||Drow Elf|
|Eldrin Szind ( view • )||Elf||Drow Elf|
|Odezzt Avithoul ( view • )||Elf||Drow Elf|
|Phargred Avithoul ( view • )||Aberration||Drider|
|Salamander Firebrand ( view • )||Evil Outsider||Salamander|
|Steadfast Armor ( view • )||Construct||Animated Object|
|Swarmhorde Spider ( view • )||Vermin||Spider|
|Water Elemental ( view • )||Elemental||Water Elemental|
|Slave collar DC|