Game mechanics • Newbie guide • In development • DDO Store • Social Media
Challenges • Classes • Collectables • Crafting • Enhancements • Epic Destinies • Favor • Feats
Glossary • Items • Maps • Monsters • Places • Quests • Races • Reincarnation • Skills • Spells
Please create an account or log in to build a reputation and unlock more editing privileges, and then visit DDO wiki's IRC Chat/Discord if you need any help!
|Impossible Demands is the 1st quest in the Menace of the Underdark: The Darkening story arcStory arcs are chains of quests that make up a story line.|
Completing everything in a story arc often yields a nice reward..
|The first three quests can be completed in any order to unlock The Battle for Eveningstar.|
|Impossible Demands • The Unquiet Graves • The Lost Thread • The Battle for Eveningstar|
Many farmhouses have been ransacked by the Drow - there have been no survivors.
| Requires access to adventure pack|
|Epic XP:||♣6,254Solo/Casual ♦10,773Normal ♥11,122Hard ♠11,472Elite|
|Takes place in:||Midler Farmhouse|
|Bestowed by:||Helena Falagon|
|NPC contact:||Helena Falagon|
|Quest acquired in:||Eveningstar|
|Patron:||Purple Dragon Knights|
|Purchase:||Menace of the Underdark|
The Drow have captured a farm house on the outskirts of the King's Forest and are holding its inhabitants hostage. Go to the Midler Farmhouse and see what can be done. The Farmhouse lies just west of Eveningstar in the King's Forest.
Spoiler Warning: Spoiler material below this point!
- Talk to Priestess Vicala Szind
- Defeat Priestess Vicala Szind
- (Optional) Save a hostage from under Vicala's nose — Bonus (5%): Epic( ♣313 ♦539 ♥556 ♠574 )
- (Optional) Save more hostages from under Vicala's nose — Bonus (15%): Epic( ♣938 ♦1,616 ♥1,668 ♠1,721 )
- (Optional) Save all the hostages from under Vicala's nose — Bonus (20%): Epic( ♣1,251 ♦2,155 ♥2,224 ♠2,294 )
- (Optional) Defeat Warleader Speitar — Bonus (15%): Epic( ♣938 ♦1,616 ♥1,668 ♠1,721 )
- (Optional) Defeat the spider Akorstra — Bonus (15%): Epic( ♣938 ♦1,616 ♥1,668 ♠1,721 )
- (Optional) Save all hostages without being spotted by the Priestess — Bonus (50%): Epic( ♣3,127 ♦5,387 ♥5,561 ♠5,736 )
- Spell wards (fire)
Tips and Misc
- The first fight (usually) consists of not quite defeating Vicala. She then escapes, and begins patrolling a circuit around the house. You must then find her (after any optionals) and kill her once and for all.
- If Vicala is low on hit points, she "sacrifices" a nearby prisoner and regains full health. Vicala cannot generally be slain if there are any live prisoners nearby for her to sacrifice.
- With sufficient DPS (especially on lower difficulties), one may be able to slay the Priestess in the front room before she sacrifices the hostage.
- Vicala's patrol pattern starts from the main inner hall, near the entrance, either north up the inner stairs and around to the outer stairs (South-west corner, where you walk up from the quest entrance), or else down to the basement (North-east corner). Either way, she then patrols a path from the top of the outer stairs, down the inner stairs, down the basement stairs, and back again. If she discovers you and you run back to the main outer hall, she closes the inner hall doors and returns to the pattern.
- On Casual and Normal difficulties, the Priestess will appear on your map as a red box. On Hard and Elite you must rely on the "nearby sound" warnings, making the final optional (and the bonus chest) painstakingly difficult and irritating to attain, but not impossible.
- A patient player can determine the time it takes for the Priestess to leave and return to a specific point between rooms. That gives a window of time to kill enemies, disable traps, and rescue prisoners.
- You can free hostages by killing their guards and talking to them.
- Once you tell a hostage to flee, it will attempt to escape from the front door using the closest stairs.
- Fleeing hostages spotted by the priestess will fail that optional objective, as well as causing the hostage to die and the priestess to gain her powerup.
- The easiest hostages to rescue are in the upper room closest to the outer stairs (South-west corner) as it takes the Priestess almost 2 minutes to complete a walk cycle.
- Likewise, timing the Priestess's walk away from the basement and back should give ample time to tell the basement hostages to escape.
- Timing is most crucial for the last hostages in the upper rooms (North-west corner). They try to escape by the inner stairs, which puts them in the Priestess's path. Clear all enemies below that path first (this is also needed to clear a path for the basement and main room hostages). Then time the Priestess's walk from when she passes the room to when she stops and turns at the outer stairs. You'll have that much time to tell the hostages to escape.
- Don't let any hireling, summons or party member get in the path of an escaping hostage! That might bug their escape and cause these optionals to fail as you cannot speak to them again to leave – and the Priestess will still sacrifice them.
- The Priestess will not notice players in the upper rooms if they stay away from the doors.
- With Update 20, you cannot complete the hostage rescues once the priestess is slain.
- Speitar can be found in the western room.
- Akorstra can be found through a secret door in the North-west room.
- The quest (without optionals) can be completed in under 5 minutes by heading for the South-west room after the initial battle, freeing the hostages, and waiting in the hall for Vicala to come to you.
- The hostages are:
- Normon Milder, Quilynn Milder and Ricnan Milder in the central room
- Neris Milder and Ianhand Milder in the southwest room
- Graven Chandler and Jandove Milder in the northwest room
- Thoben Milder, Caryn Chandler and Wilaver Chandler in the eastern room
- Devious bonus: 5 or fewer monsters killed +7% Bonus.( ♣-0 ♦-0 ♥-0 ♠-0 )
- Onslaught bonus: 35 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.( ♣-0 ♦-0 ♥-0 ♠-0 )
- Tamper bonus: 4 or more traps disarmed +10% Bonus.( ♣-0 ♦-0 ♥-0 ♠-0 )
- Neutralization bonus: 5 or more traps disarmed +20% Bonus.( ♣-0 ♦-0 ♥-0 ♠-0 )
- Ingenious Debilitation bonus: 6 or more traps disarmed +30% Bonus.( ♣-0 ♦-0 ♥-0 ♠-0 )
- Mischief bonus: 8 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.( ♣-0 ♦-0 ♥-0 ♠-0 )
- Vandal bonus: 10 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.( ♣-0 ♦-0 ♥-0 ♠-0 )
- Ransack bonus: 12 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.( ♣-0 ♦-0 ♥-0 ♠-0 )
- Chests: 4
- 1 for killing Speitar
- 1 for killing Akorstra
- 1 end chest (north-east corner of entry room)
- 1 for completing the objective, "Save all hostages without being spotted by the Priestess" at end (can drop Commendations, Villagers being the most prevalent)
- Collectables: Two
- Cabinet in the south room on the upper floor
- Adventurer's Pack in the attic, in a corner beyond the dropdown
- NPC rewards: ML~20 items
Named Chest Drop
||Sacrificial Dagger (edit)||Dagger||
||20||Bound to Character on EquipBound to Character on Equip: This item is Bound to Character on Equip or Bound to Character on AcquireBound to Character on Acquire: This item is Bound to Character on Acquire||Impossible Demands, End Chest ; |
Menace of the Underdark: The Darkening, Quest chain end reward
|Name ( picture )||CR||Type||Race|
|Akorstra ( view • edit )||●♦24Epic Normal ●♥28Epic Hard||Vermin||Spider|
|Drow Archer ( view • edit )||♥19Hard ♠23Elite ●♦22Epic Normal ●♥26Epic Hard ●♠26Epic Elite||Elf||Drow Elf|
|Drow Warrior ( view • edit )||♦9Normal ♥11Hard ♠14Elite||Elf||Drow Elf|
|Drow Warrior ( view • edit )||♠23Elite ●♠45Epic Elite||Elf||Drow Elf|
|Drow Warrior ( view • edit )||♥19Hard ♠25Elite ●♦22Epic Normal ●♥30Epic Hard ●♠25Epic Elite||Elf||Drow Elf|
|Drow Wizard ( view • edit )||♦8Normal ♥10Hard ♠13Elite||Elf||Drow Elf|
|Drow Wizard ( view • edit )||♠25Elite ●♠46Epic Elite||Elf||Drow Elf|
|Drow Wizard ( view • edit )||♦17Normal ♥20Hard ♠25Elite ●♥31Epic Hard ●♠42Epic Elite||Elf||Drow Elf|
|Speitar Dun'Robar ( view • edit )||●♦25Epic Normal ●♥29Epic Hard ●♠46Epic Elite||Elf||Drow Elf|
|Vicala Szind ( view • edit )||●♦25Epic Normal ●♥29Epic Hard ●♠46Epic Elite||Elf||Drow Elf|
- Menace of the Underdark: The Darkening chain quests
- Menace of the Underdark quests
- Epic quests
- Medium quests
- Midler Farmhouse quests
- Eveningstar quests
- Purple Dragon Knights patron quests
- Pay to Play quests
- Quests by name
- Compendium:Level 21 quests
- Level 21 quests
- Quests with 7 base favor reward
- Quests with maps
DDOwiki maintenance categories
DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories
Root > DDO game guides > Maps > Quests with maps
Root > DDO library
Root > DDO meta
Root > DDO meta > DDO Official
Root > DDOwiki meta
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Epic quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Pay to Play quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by adventure pack > Menace of the Underdark quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by duration > Medium quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by favor reward > Quests with 7 base favor reward
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by level > DDO Compendium
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by level > Level 21 quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by location > Eveningstar quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by name
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by patron > Purple Dragon Knights patron quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by story arc > Menace of the Underdark: The Darkening chain quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by zone > Midler Farmhouse quests