Jump to navigation Jump to search
On behalf of Chief Ungurz, you strike into the depths of Splinterskull. The peace of Darguun will be bought with blood.
|Requires access to : Tangleroot Gorge|
|Takes place in:||Outer Splinterskull Fortress|
|Bestowed by:||Chief Ungurz|
|NPC contact:||Chief Ungurz|
|Quest acquired in:||Tangleroot Gorge|
|Free to Play:||No|
Enter the fortress of Splinterskull and kill twenty of Chief Yarkuch's hobgoblins.
Spoiler Warning: Information below this point can be considered spoiler material!
- Slay 20 Hobgoblin Guards
- (Optional) Slay Blademaster Chagg — Bonus (10%): Heroic
What to Expect
- Traps (fixed)
- Spawning/respawning monsters
- Ability check (optional; 16 Strength required to open a door)
- Locked doors (optional)
- Skill DCs and pictures of all traps, control panel locations, and locked doors can be found in the above links by hovering over the description text.
- Spike trap in the western storeroom, in the corner beyond the door; control panel is on the western wall
- Electrical trap in the small room off the throne room; control panel is just inside the door on the north wall
- Blade trap (on both walls) down the corridor past the second shrine; control panel is on the north wall
- Spinning blade trap further down the corridor; control panel is on the south wall immediately after the blade trap
Tips and Misc
- Get comfortable with this area. You'll be spending a lot of time here doing this chain...
- All hobgoblins (not just the guards) count towards the 20.
- Blademaster Chagg can appear in one of three locations: the throne room, the eastern cell block, or the western cell block.
- At the center of the eastern cell block is a pit with three Night Scorpions in it. There is a door that requires STR 16 to open with a chest on the other side.
- The storerooms are located off the cell blocks; in this quest they're locked, but you get a key to them in the next quest and they remain unlocked after that.
- The entire Outer Splinterskull Fortress is explorable, despite the DM warning that "it may be too dangerous to go on."
- The various chests all refill at each stage of the quest; however, the same chest in different stages counts as the "same" chest for purposes of the chest ransack counter - if you run Tangleroot once, then again on a higher difficulty, you will find the loot substantially reduced.
- In order to get any of the bonuses besides discreet, you must be stealthy. Don't kill *any* of the hobgoblins you don't have to.
- It is possible (but not at all worth it) to achieve a bonus for monsters killed by farming the three spiders in the northeastern spider cave.
- Discreet bonus: 24 or fewer monsters killed +5% Bonus.
- Aggression bonus: 61 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 80 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 98 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Tamper bonus: 2 or more traps disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Neutralization bonus: 3 or more traps disarmed +20% Bonus.
- Ingenious Debilitation bonus: 4 or more traps disarmed +30% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 52 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 68 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 84 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Notes: The devious and insidious cunning bonuses are unobtainable due to the 20 required kills.
- Chests: Five (last three are the same ones in all Outer Fortress quests)
- One in the western storeroom, behind a locked door
- One in the eastern storeroom, behind a locked door
- One in the room past the scorpion pit in the eastern cell block (requires STR 16)
- One behind the locked door in the central chamber
- One on the lookout ledge down the inner corridor past the second shrine
- Collectables: Nine (same spots in all Outer Fortress quests)
- Mushroom down the South-west tunnel
- Adventurer's Pack down the South-east tunnel
- Bookshelf in the alcove as you first enter the stronghold proper
- Adventurer's Pack in the spider pit in the western cell block
- Cabinet in the central chamber
- Mushroom just before the second shrine
- Mushroom on the lookout ledge
- Mushroom down the North-west tunnel around the loop
- Mushroom down the South tunnel around the loop
- NPC rewards: None
|Name ( picture • New Monster )||CR||Type||Race|
|Black Widow ( view • )||Vermin||Spider|
|Blademaster Chagg ( view • )||Goblinoid||Hobgoblin|
|Brown Spider Prince ( view • )||Vermin||Spider|
|Brown Spider ( view • )||Vermin||Spider|
|Darkfang Spider ( view • )||Vermin||Spider|
|Gray Ooze ( view • )||Ooze||Gray Ooze|
|Hobgoblin Cleric ( view • )||Goblinoid||Hobgoblin|
|Hobgoblin Guard ( view • )||Goblinoid||Hobgoblin|
|Hobgoblin Infiltrator ( view • )||Goblinoid||Hobgoblin|
|Hobgoblin Patrol Leader ( view • )||Goblinoid||Hobgoblin|
|Hobgoblin Slayer ( view • )||Goblinoid||Hobgoblin|
|Lesser Gray Ooze ( view • )||Ooze||Gray Ooze|
|Night Scorpion ( view • )||Vermin||Scorpion|
|Wolf ( view • )||Animal||Wolf|
|Worg ( view • )||Magical Beast||Wolf|