This castle has lain in ruins since the end of the Goblin Wars. Now adventurers use it as shelter when they travel down the High Road.
|Requires access to : The High Road of Shadows|
|Takes place in:||Beckside Castle Ruins|
|Bestowed by:||Freda Gambosi|
|NPC contact:||Freda Gambosi|
|Quest acquired in:||Eveningstar|
|Free to Play:||No|
The Harpers have learned that Oriphaun hid one of the Nether Scroll pieces inside a ruined castle that adventurers often use as a camping spot.
Take the High Road to Beckside Castle and find the scroll piece.
- This is the second quest in The Netherese Legacy story arc.
- Reclaim the Nether Scroll Piece hidden inside the Castle
- Defeat Netherese Overseer Shadeskein
- Defeat the Shadow-Corrupted Water Elemental
- Access the Throne Room
- (Optional) Learn what you can from the other adventurers (14 total) — Bonus (10%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Find the missing Adventuring Party — Bonus (12%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Disable Netherese Staves safely — Bonus (15%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Defeat the Umbral Gargoyle Lord — Bonus (16%): Heroic Epic
What to Expect
- incorporeal foes
- Traps (fixed)
- Spawning/respawning monsters
Tips and Misc
- To get "further in" (west) to the castle, speak to the dwarven vendor, Breagar Coppervein <adventurer supplies>, in the second room (north), and buy an "adventurer's torch" - one is enough. Place one in the empty torch sconce over the fireplace, west side of the first room, to open a secret door there.
- (Optional) The eastern loop contains no combat or traps, only a shrine and the "Learn what you can from the other adventurers" optional. This involves talking to 14 Adventurers in total.
- Three of the Adventurers, Tanya Brock <Paladin>, Slade Destinaxe <Paladin> and Lyrica Whitestone <Bard>, have extended dialogues. Make sure you click through the optional text until it registers: Talked to Adventurer and you see the count tick down on your objectives.
- (Optional) The only way to get the kill bonus' is to let Gaston keep calling Umbral Rats. This is also a good way to build up your Monster Manual (Vol. vi) kills for Shadows.
- (Optional) Tamper bonus comes from disabling the Spell Wards
- (Optional) The optional Disable (3) Netherese Staves usually requires more than 1 player character, as each staff has different options, requiring 3 of 4 different abilities: The same option cannot be chosen twice.
- One can be disabled with the bear trap received from the disabled adventurer (in the first room) if you have the Trapmaking feat.
- One requires a Strength check, and then taking damage (approx 650 on Heroic Elite) (DC )
- One requires 50 SP from a divine caster
- One requires 50 SP from an arcane caster
- A multiclassed character might be able to meet the requirement to get all three staves, as can Bards (who get all Lore feats during the class leveling process)
- The portcullis leading to the final room (north/central on the map) has 2 crystals that must be lit.
- One crystal is lit when the Shadow-Corrupted Water Elemental is slain (northwest area).
- There are several water elementals in this area - the red-named "shadow-corrupted" one is the (only) one you are required to defeat.
- The other crystal is lit when Keldan Shadeskein is slain. Keldan spawns (with his chest) in one of the small rooms with a staff, in the west or central of the castle.
- The map shows this chest in a specific room (in the west) - in fact, Keldan (and his chest) can spawn in any of the staff rooms.
- Near that final portcullis, in the hall leading to it, a "Lever" can be found inside the north wall, just out of reach. It may seem this is related - it is not, and can only be accessed from the final room.
- At the end fight, the Umbral Rats will keep spawning as long as Gaston Wyrst is alive. Under Heroic Elite spawn rate is about 25 a minute, Epic Hard's spawn rate is 10 a minute. This makes getting conquest pretty trivial and with sufficient time, the Shadow Monster Manual entry can be completed.
- Discreet bonus: 19 or fewer monsters killed +5% Bonus.
- Aggression bonus: 68 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 88 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 108 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Tamper bonus: 2 or more traps disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Neutralization bonus: 3 or more traps disarmed +20% Bonus.
- Ingenious Debilitation bonus: 4 or more traps disarmed +30% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 26 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 34 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 42 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Chests: 4
- After defeating Umbral Gargoyle Lord
- After defeating Keldan Shadeskein
- After defeating Shadow-Corrupted Water Elemental
- After defeating Gaston Wyrst (End Chest)
- Collectables: 4
- Adventurer's Pack on the tower roof, to the south
- Cabinet in the western elemental room, underwater
- Adventurer's Pack in the central room (with the hidden shrine), in the southwest corner
- Adventurer's Pack in the final room, just below the dropdown
- NPC rewards: Standard
Named Chest Drop
- ML16: 1.50 [1d8], , , Holy, ,
- ML17: 1.50 [1d8], , , Holy, ,
- ML18: 1.50 [1d8], , Greater Good, ,
- ML23: 2.50 [1d8], , Greater Good, ,
- ML24: 2.50 [1d8], , Supreme Good, ,
- ML25: 2.50 [1d8], , Supreme Good, ,
- ML16: 1.50 [1d8], , , ,
- ML17: 1.50 [1d8], , , ,
- ML18: 1.50 [1d8], , , ,
- ML23: 2.50 [1d8], , , ,
- ML24: 2.50 [1d8], , , ,
- ML25: 2.50 [1d8], , , ,
|Gaston Wyrst (view)||Humanoid||Human|
|Greater Fire Mephit (view)||OR Summoned by another mephit:||Fire Outsider||Mephit|
|Keldan Shadeskein (view)||Humanoid||Human|
|Netherese Wizard (view)||Humanoid||Human|
|Sellsword Archer (view)||Humanoid||Human|
|Sellsword Footpad (view)||Humanoid||Human|
|Sellsword Skirmisher (view)||Humanoid||Human|
|Shadow-Corrupted Water Elemental (view)||Elemental||Water Elemental|
|Summoned Shadow (view)||Undead||Shadow|
|Umbral Gargoyle Lord (view)||Undead||Shadow|
|Umbral Gargoyle (view)||Undead||Shadow|
|Umbral Rat (view)||Undead||Shadow|
|Water Elemental (view)||Elemental||Water Elemental|