This castle has lain in ruins since the end of the Goblin Wars. Now adventurers use it as shelter when they travel down the High Road.
|Requires access to : The High Road of Shadows|
|Takes place in:||Beckside Castle Ruins|
|Bestowed by:||Freda Gambosi|
|NPC contact:||Freda Gambosi|
|Quest acquired in:||Eveningstar|
|Free to Play:||No|
|Rest Stop is the 2nd quest in The Netherese Legacy .|
|The first four quests can be completed in any order to unlock The End of the Road.|
|Detour • Rest Stop • Lost in the Swamp • A Stay at the Inn • The End of the Road|
The Harpers have learned that Oriphaun hid one of the Nether Scroll pieces inside a ruined castle that adventurers often use as a camping spot.
Take the High Road to Beckside Castle and find the scroll piece.
- Reclaim the Nether Scroll Piece hidden inside the Castle
- Defeat Netherese Overseer Shadeskein
- Defeat the Shadow-Corrupted Water Elemental
- Access the Throne Room
- (Optional) Learn what you can from the other adventurers (14 total) — Bonus (9.8%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Find the missing Adventuring Party — Bonus (2%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Disable Netherese Staves safely (3 total) — Bonus (4.9%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Defeat the Umbral Gargoyle Lord — Bonus (14.7%): Heroic Epic
What to Expect
- incorporeal foes
- Traps (fixed)
- Spawning/respawning monsters
Tips and Misc
- To get "further in" (west) to the castle, speak to the dwarven vendor, Breagar Coppervein <adventurer supplies>, in the second room (north), and buy an "adventurer's torch" - one is enough. Place one in the empty torch sconce over the fireplace, west side of the first room, to open a secret door there.
- (Optional) The eastern loop contains no combat or traps, only a shrine and the "Learn what you can from the other adventurers" optional. This involves talking to 14 Adventurers in total.
- Three of the Adventurers, Tanya Brock <Paladin>, Slade Destinaxe <Paladin> and Lyrica Whitestone <Bard>, have extended dialogues. Make sure you click through the optional text until it registers: Talked to Adventurer and you see the count tick down on your objectives.
- (Optional) The only way to get the kill bonus' is to let Gaston keep calling Umbral Rats. This is also a good way to build up your Monster Manual (Vol. vi) kills for Shadows.
- (Optional) Tamper bonus comes from disabling the Spell Wards
- (Optional) The optional Disable (3) Netherese Staves usually requires more than 1 player character, as each staff has different options, requiring 3 of 4 different abilities: The same option cannot be chosen twice.
- One can be disabled with the Bear trap received from the disabled adventurer (in the first room) if you have the Trapmaking feat. The place Bear trap option is listed on all staves.
- One requires a Strength check, and then taking damage (approx 650 on Heroic Elite) (DC )
- One requires 50 SP from a divine caster - Channel Holy Energy
- One requires 50 SP from an arcane caster - Channel Arcane Energy
- A multiclassed character might be able to meet the requirement to get all three staves, as can Bards (who get all Lore feats during the class leveling process)
- The portcullis leading to the final room (north/central on the map) has 2 crystals that must be lit.
- One crystal is lit when the Shadow-Corrupted Water Elemental is slain (northwest area).
- There are several water elementals in this area - the red-named "shadow-corrupted" one is the (only) one you are required to defeat.
- The other crystal is lit when Keldan Shadeskein is slain. Keldan spawns (with his chest) in one of the small rooms with a staff, in the west or central of the castle.
- The map shows this chest in a specific room (in the west) - in fact, Keldan (and his chest) can spawn in any of the staff rooms.
- Near that final portcullis, in the hall leading to it, a "Lever" can be found inside the north wall, just out of reach. It may seem this is related - it is not, and can only be accessed from the final room.
- At the end fight, the Umbral Rats will keep spawning as long as Gaston Wyrst is alive. Under Heroic Elite spawn rate is about 25 a minute, Epic Hard's spawn rate is 10 a minute. This makes getting conquest pretty trivial and with sufficient time, the Shadow Monster Manual entry can be completed.
- Bug: If you go to end fight area before completing staves and elemental, the boss AI breaks, and the quest is not able to be completed.
- Discreet bonus: 19 or fewer monsters killed +5% Bonus.
- Aggression bonus: 68 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 88 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 108 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Tamper bonus: 2 or more traps disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Neutralization bonus: 3 or more traps disarmed +20% Bonus.
- Ingenious Debilitation bonus: 4 or more traps disarmed +30% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 26 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 34 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 42 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Chests: 4
- After defeating Umbral Gargoyle Lord
- After defeating Keldan Shadeskein
- After defeating Shadow-Corrupted Water Elemental
- After defeating Gaston Wyrst (End Chest)
- Collectables: 4
- Adventurer's Pack on the tower roof, to the south
- Cabinet in the western elemental room, underwater
- Adventurer's Pack in the central room (with the hidden shrine), in the southwest corner
- Adventurer's Pack in the final room, just below the dropdown
- NPC rewards: Standard
Named Chest Drop
||Forgotten Light (Level 16) ( )||Heavy Mace||
||16||Rest Stop, End chest (Heroic Normal)|
||Roadwatch Bow (Level 16) ( )||Long Bow||
||16||Rest Stop, Umbral Gargoyle Lord chest (Heroic Normal)|
||Roadwatch Bow (Level 17) ( )||Long Bow||
||17||Rest Stop, Umbral Gargoyle Lord chest (Heroic Hard)|
||Forgotten Light (Level 17) ( )||Heavy Mace||
||17||Rest Stop, End chest (Heroic Hard)|
||Forgotten Light (Level 18) ( )||Heavy Mace||
||18||Rest Stop, End chest (Heroic Elite)|
||Roadwatch Bow (Level 18) ( )||Long Bow||
||18||Rest Stop, Umbral Gargoyle Lord chest (Heroic Elite)|
||Roadwatch Bow (Level 23) ( )||Long Bow||
||23||Rest Stop, Umbral Gargoyle Lord chest (Epic Normal);|
Netherese Legacy, Quest chain end reward
||Forgotten Light (Level 23) ( )||Heavy Mace||
||23||Rest Stop, End chest (Epic Normal);|
Netherese Legacy, Quest chain end reward
||Roadwatch Bow (Level 24) ( )||Long Bow||
||24||Rest Stop, Umbral Gargoyle Lord chest (Epic Hard)|
||Forgotten Light (Level 24) ( )||Heavy Mace||
||24||Rest Stop, End chest (Epic Hard)|
||Roadwatch Bow (Level 25) ( )||Long Bow||
||25||Rest Stop, Umbral Gargoyle Lord chest (Epic Elite)|
||Forgotten Light (Level 25) ( )||Heavy Mace||
||25||Rest Stop, End chest (Epic Elite)|
|Name ( picture • New Monster )||CR||Type||Race|
|Gaston Wyrst ( view • )||Humanoid||Human|
|Greater Fire Mephit ( view • )||OR Summoned by another mephit:||Fire Outsider||Mephit|
|Keldan Shadeskein ( view • )||Humanoid||Human|
|Netherese Wizard ( view • )||Humanoid||Human|
|Sellsword Archer ( view • )||Humanoid||Human|
|Sellsword Footpad ( view • )||Humanoid||Human|
|Sellsword Skirmisher ( view • )||Humanoid||Human|
|Shadow-Corrupted Water Elemental ( view • )||Elemental||Water Elemental|
|Summoned Shadow ( view • )||Undead||Shadow|
|Umbral Gargoyle Lord ( view • )||Undead||Shadow|
|Umbral Gargoyle ( view • )||Undead||Shadow|
|Umbral Rat ( view • )||Undead||Shadow|
|Water Elemental ( view • )||Elemental||Water Elemental|