A Stay at the Inn
The Old Man's Face Inn is an ancient fixture of the tiny hamlet of Tyrluk. Apparently Oriphaun gave one of the Nether Scroll pieces to the inn's bartender.
|Requires access to : The High Road of Shadows|
|A Stay at the Inn|
|Takes place in:||The Old Man's Face Inn|
|Bestowed by:||Kordo Sweetspire|
|NPC contact:||Kordo Sweetspire|
|Quest acquired in:||Eveningstar|
|Free to Play:||No|
Somehow Oriphaun managed to hide one of the Nether Scroll pieces inside a crowded inn.
Take the High Road to Tyrluk, then enter the Old Man's Face Inn and look for the scroll piece.
- This is the fourth quest in The Netherese Legacy story arc.
- Find the Nether Scroll piece
- Find the Bartender
- Defeat the enemies in the courtyard
- Get the Inn Key from the Terrified Villager
- Clear out the Inn and find the Innkeeper
- Search the Barn for the Tavern Key
- Defeat the wizard Wyle and his Minions
- Speak to Tarys
- Defeat Tarys and his minions
- Free the Bartender from the crate
- (Optional) Confront the Innkeeper about his journal — Bonus (6%): Heroic Epic
Trap DCs (Epic)
- Bear traps after the Secret door
Tips and Misc
- In the Courtyard, after talking to the Terrified Villager the first time, there will be several waves of enemies. After they are dead, the Villager will give you a key to the Inn (west door from the courtyard).
- Inside the Inn, there are enemies patrolling the halls, and also in several of the rooms, who will come out if you pass by. All these must be killed before you can open the door to the Innkeeper (southwest corner). He will give you a key to the Barn (north door off the Courtyard).
- Inside the Barn, you'll have to defeat a few waves of Umbral Rats and Shadows. Once they are dealt with, pull the lever to cause a ladder to drop down. Go up and around the walks in the barn, fighting several more shadow creatures of various kinds, eventually ending in a battle against the wizard Wyle.
- Inside the barn chest is no loot, only the key to the Tavern (south from the courtyard) and some Tattered Journal Pages.
- If you loot the journal and return to the Innkeeper (in his office in the Inn), you can confront him about his past (choose the conversation path which tells him to "come clean..."), then kill him for extra XP and a chest.
- Before the fight, the Innkeeper will open a secret door where his chest is (see map), and then start the fight. He likes to use Severe Stunning Blow, so having a light monk with Grasp of the Earth Dragon may be helpful.
- Upstairs in the Tavern is the only shrine in the quest (and a short fight).
- The end fight is in the Tavern basement (although it can follow characters upstairs). It doesn't start until you speak to Tarys, giving you plenty of time to break stuff and buff up.
- Release the bartender, and follow him upstairs - you must be near him to trigger the end dialogue, which reveals the Nether Scroll (on the wall next to the chest).
- The quest doesn't end until you get the Netherese Scroll Fragment off the Tavern's board, if there's anything you'd like to do first (pretty much limited to confronting the Innkeeper or finishing any breakables, if you haven't already).
- Aggression bonus: 41 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 54 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 66 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 31 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 40 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 49 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Notes: Onslaught bonus only be achieved by not killing Tarys right away, and allowing umbral creatures to keep spawning; presumably, Conquest can be gotten this way as well. (Aggression/Onslaught may only be achievable on Hard/Elite; Tarys seemed to stop summoning creatures early in the fight on Normal).
- Chests: 4
- One in a secret room in the center of the Inn (behind a locked door; on Hard/Elite, it transforms into a mimic and has to be conquered first) (Lock DC)
- One in the barn (with the key to the Inn)
- One in a secret room behind the Innkeeper (obtained by confronting him about his journal)
- End chest behind bar (locked until you defeat Tarys and his minions/talk to the bartender)
- Collectables: 3
- Cabinet in the north room along the south corridor in the Inn
- Adventurer's Pack in a stall in the southwest corner of the Barn
- Cabinet in the cellar of the Tavern, in the southwest corner
- NPC rewards: Standard; choose from four
Named Chest Drop
||Bastion (Level 16)||Tower shield||
||16||A Stay at the Inn, Innkeeper optional chest (Heroic Normal)|
||Bastion (Level 17)||Tower shield||
||17||A Stay at the Inn, Innkeeper optional chest (Heroic Hard)|
||Bastion (Level 18)||Tower shield||
||18||A Stay at the Inn, Innkeeper optional chest (Heroic Elite)|
||Bastion (Level 23)||Tower shield||
||23||A Stay at the Inn, Innkeeper hidden chest ; |
Netherese Legacy, Quest chain end reward
||Bastion (Level 25)||Tower shield||
||25||A Stay at the Inn, Innkeeper hidden chest|
||Bastion (Level 24)||Tower shield||
||24||A Stay at the Inn, Innkeeper hidden chest|
||Bracers of Twisting Shade (Level 16)||Bracers||
||16||A Stay at the Inn, End chest (Heroic Normal)|
||Bracers of Twisting Shade (Level 17)||Bracers||
||17||A Stay at the Inn, End chest (Heroic Hard)|
||Bracers of Twisting Shade (Level 18)||Bracers||
||18||A Stay at the Inn, End chest (Heroic Elite)|
||Bracers of Twisting Shade (Level 23)||Bracers||
||23||A Stay at the Inn, End chest (Epic) ; |
Netherese Legacy, Quest chain end reward
||Bracers of Twisting Shade (Level 24)||Bracers||
||24||A Stay at the Inn, End chest (Epic Hard)|
||Bracers of Twisting Shade (Level 25)||Bracers||
||25||A Stay at the Inn, End chest (Epic Elite)|
|Branson Blackboot (view)||Humanoid||Human|
|Chest (monster) (view)||Aberration||Mimic|
|Netherese Wizard (view)||Humanoid||Human|
|Sellsword Archer (view)||Humanoid||Human|
|Sellsword Footpad (view)||Humanoid||Human|
|Sellsword Skirmisher (view)||Humanoid||Human|
|Shadow (Shadowfell) (view)||Undead||Shadow|
|Summoned Shadow (view)||Undead||Shadow|
|Umbral Gargoyle (view)||Undead||Shadow|
|Umbral Rat (view)||Undead||Shadow|
|Umbral Worg (view)||Undead||Shadow|