The House of Broken Chains
|The House of Broken Chains is the 1st quest in the Menace of the Underdark: City of Portals .|
|The first three quests can be completed in any order to unlock The Portal Opens.|
|The House of Broken Chains • The House of Rusted Blades • The House of Death Undone • The Portal Opens|
|Requires access to : Menace of the Underdark|
|The House of Broken Chains|
|Takes place in:||House Avithoul|
|Bestowed by:||Mirini Elemys|
|NPC contact:||Mirini Elemys|
|Quest acquired in:||Eveningstar|
|Patron:||Purple Dragon Knights|
|Free to Play:||No|
Sneak into House Avithoul and start a slave revolt. Climb inside a slave-cart in Sschindylryn in the Underdark. The War Wizard's illusion spell will disguise you as a slave once you are inside. The Underdark can be accessed through Eveningstar Cavern. Sschindylryn can be entered far south of the entry portal and high above the cavern floor.
- Open the Slave Pens (5)
- Enter the Slave Quarters
- Defeat the Slavemasters (4)
- Slay Slavebreaker Solul
- (Optional) Free some slaves from their collars (5) — Bonus (10%): Epic
- (Optional) Free more slaves from their collars (10) — Bonus (10%): Epic
- (Optional) Free every last slave (16) — Bonus (10%): Epic
- (Optional) Break House Avithoul's Relics (3) — Bonus (10%): Epic
- (Optional) Defeat Solul without killing his slaves — Bonus (10%): Epic
Two of the three relic rooms are significantly trapped. The last one is guarded by an orange-named draegloth that, on slaying him, also yields a chest. One of the corridors leading to a slave pen has a single spell ward.
Tips and Misc
- The slave pen doors can be picked to avoid spawning guards that appear if the doors are destroyed. One of these north doors has a very high DC, especially on Epic Elite. On Epic Normal and Epic Hard, the Open Lock DC is 90. That same DC slave pen door was picked on Epic Elite with a 91.
- If you break the door down (via melee or spell blast), guards will respond. You do not get credit for "opening (that) slave pen" until all those guards are killed.
- There are several rooms where one or two (sometimes named) slavemasters keep control over their charges. A stealthy approach to find these slavers and quickly assassinate them in some cases will prevent accidentally killing the controlled slaves, who will fight you until all slavers in the area are killed.
- In the southwest slaver rooms, there are powerful mobs of spiders that directly prohibit a stealth assassination. Carefully destroy both spiders and slavers here if you haven't met your freed slave optional. A party member in stealth (with Invisibility to lower any Spot checks of the nearby slaves) can pull most or all spiders to the outside hallway without attracting the slaves' attentions.
- A switch in a recess of the spider lair of this room opens the door to more spiders for Conquest seekers. A key found in this area can be used to reach one of the relic optional rooms with a chest. Careful: The number of spiders can be overwhelming.
(Optional) 3 Relics:
- The first optional relic room can be accessed from a ladder off the main slave pen yard (which you enter at the start of the quest). It's down a nondescript alley toward the northeast corner.
- The second can be accessed through a Secret door in the north-central slaver room.
- The third relic room can be accessed through a hidden corridor just off the hall to the end fight. You'll probably need a good Rogue or access to Dispel Magic to handle this corridor; pay attention to the Dungeon Master dialogue.
- Once all slavers are killed, the sealed door (adjacent to the western shrine) opens, with NPC slaves greeting and encouraging you for the final fight.
- The end-fight (in the northwest room) consists of a red-named slaver that compels mobs of slaves to attack you. A cunning party will figure out how to kite, charm or immobilize the slaves and a handful of their Drow guards while others in the party isolate the slaver to kill him without killing any of the slaves to achieve the final optional challenge. If careful, you can also pull the Assassins and Solul without pulling any of the slaves by using ranged weapons. However, this optional won't be assigned until you enter the final room; if you kill Solul without ever entering, the optional will be incompletable.
- Devious bonus: 32 or fewer monsters killed +7% Bonus.
- Aggression bonus: 144 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 170-172 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Tamper bonus: 5 or more traps disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Neutralization bonus: 6 or more traps disarmed +20% Bonus.
- Ingenious Debilitation bonus: 9 or more traps disarmed +30% Bonus.
- Perception bonus: 2 or more secret doors discovered +10% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 32 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 41 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 51 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Notes: The numbers for the traps bonus will change if you trigger the extra spell wards in the last hidden corridor.
- Chests: 2
- 1 for killing the Draegloth
- 1 end chest
- Collectables: 5
- Cabinet in the kitchen
- Adventurer's Pack in the labor rooms
- Bones in the silkery
- Cabinet near the north east relic
- Bones near end fight, south east corner
- NPC rewards:
Named Chest Drop
||Icerazor ( )||Sickle||
||21||or||The House of Broken Chains, End Chest ; Slavemaster Banister Avithoul's chest in The Underdark ; Menace of the Underdark: City of Portals, Quest chain end reward|
||Slaver's Hand Crossbow ( )||Repeating Light Crossbow||
||21||1 or 2||The House of Broken Chains, 1End chest ; |
1Slavemaster Banister Avithoul rare chest in the The Underdark ;
2Menace of the Underdark: City of Portals, Quest chain end reward
||Seal of House Avithoul ( )||Ring||
||21||The House of Broken Chains, Matron chest|
|Name ( picture • New Monster )||CR||Type||Race|
|Avithoul Blademaster ( view • )||Elf||Drow Elf|
|Collared Slave ( view • )||Elf||Drow Elf|
|Collared Villager ( view • )||Humanoid||Human|
|Deathjump Spider ( view • )||Vermin||Spider|
|Dolnozz ( view • )||Elf||Drow Elf|
|Ess'k ( view • )||Elf||Drow Elf|
|Grataun ( view • )||Elf||Drow Elf|
|Guard Captain Amalzen ( view • )||Elf||Drow Elf|
|Guard ( view • )||Elf||Drow Elf|
|Magroph Avithoul ( view • )||Evil Outsider||Demon|
|Ophur ( view • )||Elf||Drow Elf|
|Overseer Solul ( view • )||Elf||Drow Elf|
|Priestess of Lolth ( view • )||Elf||Drow Elf|
|Slavemaster ( view • )||Elf||Drow Elf|
|Underdark Assassin ( view • )||Elf||Drow Elf|
|Slave collar DC|