The House of Broken Chains
Warning: The information on this page might be inaccurate due to a game update.
If you know any information on this page to be in error, please fix it by clicking thelink above.
Reason: Needs to have parameters updated due to changes in Quest.
|Requires access to : Menace of the Underdark|
|The House of Broken Chains|
|Takes place in:||House Avithoul|
|Bestowed by:||Mirini Elemys|
|NPC contact:||Mirini Elemys|
|Quest acquired in:||Eveningstar|
|Patron:||Purple Dragon Knights|
|Free to Play:||No|
Sneak into House Avithoul and start a slave revolt. Climb inside a slave-cart in Sschindylryn in the Underdark. The War Wizard's illusion spell will disguise you as a slave once you are inside. The Underdark can be accessed through Eveningstar Cavern. Sschindylryn can be entered far south of the entry portal and high above the cavern floor.
- This is part of the City of Portals story arc. You must complete it, The House of Rusted Blades, and The House of Death Undone (in any order) to enable access to The Portal Opens.
- Open the Slave Pens (5)
- Enter the Slave Quarters
- Defeat the Slavemasters (4)
- Slay Slavebreaker Solul
- (Optional) Free some slaves from their collars (5) +5% Bonus.
- (Optional) Free more slaves from their collars (10) +5% Bonus.
- (Optional) Free every last slave (16) +5% Bonus.
- (Optional) Break House Avithoul's Relics (3) +5% Bonus.
- (Optional) Defeat Solul without killing his slaves +5% Bonus.
Two of the three relic rooms are significantly trapped. The last one is guarded by an orange-named draegloth that, on slaying him, also yields a chest. One of the corridors leading to a slave pen has a single spell ward.
Tips and Misc
- The slave pit doors can be picked to avoid spawning guards that appear if the doors are destroyed. One of these doors has a very high DC, especially on Epic Elite. On Epic Normal, a player failed with 89 but succeeded with 90. That same DC slave pit was picked on Epic Elite with a 91.
- Unlocking collars is a straight strength check, or skill + d20 (Data here).
- There are several rooms where one or two slavemasters keep control over their charges. A stealthy approach to find these slavers and quickly assassinate them in some cases will prevent accidentally killing the controlled slaves, who will fight you until all slavers in the area are killed.
- In one of the slaver rooms, there are powerful mobs of spiders that directly prohibit a stealth assassination. Carefully destroy both spiders and slavers here if you haven't met your freed slave optional. A party member in stealth (with invisibility to lower any Spot checks of the nearby slaves) can pull most or all spiders to the outside hallway without attracting the slaves' attentions.
- A switch in a recess of the spider lair of this room opens the door to more spiders for Conquest seekers. A key found in this area can be used to reach one of the relic optional rooms. Careful: The number of spiders can be overwhelming.
- Once all slavers are killed, a sealed door (adjacent to a shrine) opens, with NPC slaves greeting and encouraging you for the final fight.
- The first optional relic room can be accessed from a ladder in the slave pen room where you enter the quest. The second can be accessed through a hidden door in the north slaver room.
- The third relic room can be accessed through a hidden corridor just off the hall to the end fight. You'll probably need a good Rogue to handle this corridor; pay attention to the Dungeon Master dialogue.
- If two relics are destroyed, the Matron Mother will appear in front of the third.
- The end-fight consists of a red-named slaver that compels mobs of slaves to attack you. A cunning party will figure out how to kite, charm or immobilize the slaves and a handful of their Drow guards while others in the party isolate the slaver to kill him without killing any of the slaves to achieve the final optional challenge. If careful, you can also pull the Assassins and Solul without pulling any of the slaves by using ranged weapons.
- Devious bonus: 32 or fewer monsters killed +7% Bonus.
- Aggression bonus: 144 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 170-172 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Tamper bonus: 5 or more traps disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Neutralization bonus: 6 or more traps disarmed +20% Bonus.
- Ingenious Debilitation bonus: 9 or more traps disarmed +30% Bonus.
- Perception bonus: 2 or more secret doors discovered +10% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 32 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 41 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 51 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Notes: The numbers for the traps bonus will change if you trigger the extra spell wards in the last hidden corridor.
- Chests: 2
- 1 for killing the Draegloth
- 1 end chest
- Collectables: 4
- Cabinet in the kitchens
- Adventurer's Pack in the labor rooms
- Bones in the silkery
- Cabinet near the last relic in the slavemaster's tower
- NPC rewards:
Named Chest Drop
- Seal of House Avithoul - Ring: Random Ability Bonus ( , , or ), Sneak Attack Bonus +5, Exceptional Sneak Attack Bonus +3, Improved Deception [ML:21] (Chest Loot: Matron Chest)
- Slaver's Hand Crossbow - Repeating Light Crossbow: 2[1d8]+6, , , Nightshade Venom, Exceptional Sneak Attack Bonus +3, Constitution Poison (Virulent) [ML:21,BtCoE] (Chest Loot: End Chest)
- Icerazor - Sickle: 2[1d6]+6, Spellcasting Implement +18, Glaciation +102, Major Ice Lore, , , Freezing Ice [ML:21,BtCoE] (Chest Loot: End Chest)
|Magroph Avithoul (view)||Evil Outsider||Demon|
|Overseer Solul (view)||Elf||Drow Elf|
|Dolnozz (NoPic)||Elf||Drow Elf|
|Ess'k (NoPic)||Elf||Drow Elf|
|Grataun (view)||Elf||Drow Elf|
|Guard Captain Amalzen (view)||Elf||Drow Elf|
|Ophur (view)||Elf||Drow Elf|
|Priestess of Lolth (view)||Elf||Drow Elf|
|Collared Villager (view)||Humanoid||Human|
|Deathjump Spider (view)||Vermin||Spider|
|Guard (view)||Elf||Drow Elf|
|Slavemaster (view)||Elf||Drow Elf|
|Slave collar DC|