The Claw of Vulkoor
The Claw of Vulkoor has appeared deep inside territory belonging to the local fire giants.
|Requires access to : The Red Fens|
|The Claw of Vulkoor|
|Takes place in:||Claw Canyon|
|Quest acquired in:||The Red Fens|
|Free to Play:||No|
The Claw of Vulkoor has appeared near the Raveneye refugee camp. The Claw bestows a blessing upon any drow who uses it, but unfortunately it has appeared in territory belonging to hostile fire giants.
Croaker wants you to travel to Claw Canyon, west of the drow camp, and try to negotiate passage through the fire giants' territory.
- This is the second quest in the Red Fens quest arc.
- Speak with priestess Ionna
- Help the Drow find the Claw of Vulkoor
- Defeat the warlock, Sobrien
- Speak with cursed Ionna
- Retrieve Ionna's staff
- Gather the cursed scorpions
- Break the curse on the Drow
- Stick Ionna's staff into the octagon
- Don't leave Ionna's staff behind
- Climb to the top of the Claw of Vulkoor
- Break the curse on the Drow
- (Optional) Defeat the Chieftain Uggorn (rare) — Bonus (10%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Pass unnoticed by scorpion guardians — Bonus (15%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Pass unnoticed by roaming scorpions — Bonus (20%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Pacify all the scorpion guardians (all 7 guardians) — Bonus (10%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Pacify the first scorpion guardian — Bonus (1.5%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Pacify the second scorpion guardian — Bonus (1.5%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Pacify the third scorpion guardian — Bonus (1.5%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Pacify the fourth scorpion guardian — Bonus (1.5%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Pacify the fifth scorpion guardian — Bonus (1.5%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Pacify the sixth scorpion guardian — Bonus (1.5%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Pacify the seventh scorpion guardian — Bonus (1.5%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Do not rob the giant's tomb — Bonus (30%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Face the wrath of Prince Gornard — Bonus (8%): Heroic Epic
What to Expect
- Traps (fixed, some appear only on certain difficulties)
- Overlapping floors
- Spawning/respawning monsters
- Fire jets
Tips and Misc
- One of the few quests where you get significantly more XP by being stealthy. (About 89% optional xp, and 7% bonus xp for a completely stealthy approach versus 8% optional xp, and 25% bonus xp for killing and smashing everything in your path.)
- This optional for this quest is, essentially, Stealthy Repossession with scorpions. However, instead of a fail mechanic, you can get significant optional bonus XP if you do not kill the scorpions.
- If you try to stealth the quest, memorize the paths of the wandering scorpions, and either stay out of their way or get to one side and hold still before they get close. For the nesting scorpions, stay as far away as possible. In either case, they may be less inclined to react to a failed Listen check than a failed Spot (invisibility is useful) check, so if you have to get close, stay behind them.
- If you think you've failed and are about to be attacked, get as far away from the Guardians (or break line of sight) before you are forced out of Sneak mode. You can kill lots of monsters and still succeed (20 monsters is low enough for the 5% Discreet award), but you can lose out on XP for several optionals, may lose out on an optional chest.
- When you use the staff on one of the floor runes, the staff is left stuck in the rune. Be sure to retrieve it each time, as this is one of the mandatory objectives (and it also helps with the doors).
- Directly at the first door with a lever are 2 secret doors. One leads into a tunnel where an optional Fire Giant 'Chieftain Uggorn' may spawn in front of the Mirror Door. At the end of this tunnel is a third secret door. The fourth secret door is in the chamber of Prince Gornard. You must be able to either search and open the secret door in Prince Gornard's chamber in order to finish the quest, or loot the treasure to spawn Gornard (the passage will open upon his defeat).
- Avoid the fire trapped passage by taking the first secret door on the left, opening the hatch and dropping into the Mirror room where there is a shrine. The end of this passage comes out next to the end of the fire trapped passage, bypassing it. You will have to fight a few extra giants in this passage but it's much easier than running the fire traps in the other passage.
- If you can sneak up on the Fire Giant in the down-sloping tunnel before he can reach the lever, the fire traps will not go off.
- After getting past the sixth Guardian, you'll come across a fire giant kneeling next to some lava near a resurrection shrine. There's a rest shrine directly above it, which can be gotten to by following the ledge up.
- If you cannot find the secret door in the burial chamber, triggering and killing Prince Gornard (see next) will open that door.
- If you decide to loot the chests in the burial chamber (the clam counts as a chest), the skeleton of Prince Gornard will spawn. He is a giant skeleton who likes throwing blade barriers. On hard mode also several Scorpions will arrive as soon as he is defeated. If you open the secret door in Prince Gornard's chamber before defeating him, the last guardian will rush in after the fight and you will not be able to do the pacify guardian optional for him.
- Note: Upon quest completion, this 'area' gets deactivated if skipped.
- To pacify the final scorpion guardian standing on the octagon, as long as there are no champions with True Seeing / See Invisibility near:
- Get to a safe spot and use an Invisibility potion/scroll/clicky.
- Hide and move within sound detection range near the guardian, then unhide and move backwards. (You'll stay invisible, the guardian will hear your footsteps and start moving towards you)
- Jump away from the guardian towards the staff octagon and hide midair.
- While in sneak mode you can also place a Noisemaker within the sound detection range. Until the Noisemaker activates, you can take a good position for sneaking to the octagon, after the guardian moved towards the noise.
- Stealth to the octagon for success.
- You can actually use Ionna's Ancestral Staff as a weapon during the quest, but it will drop from your inventory upon completion.
- Wilderness area note: Upon finishing the mission, one or more Blessed Drow Scorpion Warriors will spawn in the Red Fens Wilderness Area. While they do not leave their location, they assist the party in combat if enemy mobs are drawn close enough.
- Devious bonus: 12 or fewer monsters killed +7% Bonus.
- Aggression bonus: 84 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Neutralization bonus: 2 or more traps disarmed +20% Bonus.
- Ingenious Debilitation bonus: 4 or more traps disarmed +30% Bonus.
- Observance bonus: 1 or more secret door discovered +8% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 26 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 34 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 42 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Chests: Zero to a possible maximum of 5 (Very difficult to get all, as you need to both be lucky enough to get the rare, stealthy enough, and strong enough to kill the skeleton)
- 2 chests and several gold piles for stealing from and slaying Prince Gornard (both can drop Dampened Cacophonic Verge*)
- (* Note - It's possible to get this item to drop in both chests, however, it is exclusive)
- 1 optional chest for passing unnoticed by roaming scorpions (chance to drop Dampened Shatterbow)
- (Note - This chest will spawn next to the last pressure plate and can be easily overlooked)
- 1 optional chest for pacifying all scorpion guardians
- 1 chest for slaying the rare spawn Chieftain Uggorn, spawns out of mirror by first shrine
- 1 additional Epic chest with Fragments of a Token of the Twelve on Epic difficulty only
- Collectables: Three
- Colossal Clam at the very bottom of the pit, behind some rocks
- Colossal Clam in the water near the western shrine
- Colossal Clam in the final chamber
- NPC rewards: Selection of 4 Random items with total enchantment bonus of +1 to +5, from a Helm of Inner Focus (Concentration +3) to a Clever Ring of Doom (+2 Int, Doom 3/day), BtA, less minimum level than usual - max ml:5.
||7||The Claw of Vulkoor, End reward|
||Necklace of Venom||Necklace||
||7||needs verification||The Claw of Vulkoor, End reward|
||Gloves of the Claw||Gloves||
||7||The Claw of Vulkoor, End reward|
Named Chest Drop
- Dampened Cacophonic Verge - Wand: Sonic Blast (CL:4, 50/50), [ML:5, , UMD:19] (Prince Gornard's Chest)
- Dampened Shatterbow - Longbow: , , , , [ML:7] (Scorpions Optional Chest)
|Prince Gornard (view)||Undead||Skeleton|
|Chieftain Uggorn (view)||Giant||Giant|
|Scorpion Guardian (view)||Vermin||Scorpion|
|Fire Giant (view)||Giant||Giant|
|Nesting Scorpion (view)||Vermin||Scorpion|
|Roaming Scorpion (NoPic)||Vermin||Scorpion|
|Scorpion Ambusher (view)||Vermin||Scorpion|