Dexterity measures hand-eye coordination, agility, reflexes, and balance. This ability is the most important one for rogues, but it’s also high on the list for Player Characters who typically wear light armor (rangers and barbarians), medium armor (barbarians), or no armor at all (monks, wizards, and sorcerers), and for anyone who wants to be a skilled archer.
You apply your Player Character’s Dexterity modifier to:
- Ranged attack rolls, including those for attacks made with bows, crossbows, throwing axes, and other ranged and thrown weaponss.
- Armor Class (AC), provided that the character can react to the attack.
- Reflex saving throws, for avoiding fireballs and other attacks that you can escape by moving quickly.
- Balance, Hide, Move Silently, Open Lock and Tumble checks. These are the skills that have Dexterity as their key ability.
You can also apply your Dexterity Modifier to your Melee attack rolls and/or damage rolls through the use of:
- Weapon Finesse General Feat (Attack Rolls only)
- Swashbuckler Tier 3 enhancement Different Tack (Damage Rolls Only)
- Ninja Spy Core 1 and Core 2 enhancements Basic Ninja Training and Advanced Ninja Training (Both)
- Tempest Core 2 and Core 3 enhancements Tempest and Graceful Death (Both)
- Assassin Core 1 and Core 2 enhancements Knife in the Darkness and Dagger in the Back (Both)
- Thief-Acrobat Core 1 and Core 2 enhancements Staff Control and Stick Fighting (Both, but only with Staves)
- Deepwood Stalker Tier 2 Enhancement - Improved Weapon Finesse (Damage Rolls only)
- Elf and Morninglord Tier 4 enhancement - Grace (Damage Rolls Only and Only with specific racial weapons)
- Named Weapons with the Finesse attribute will also allow you to use your Dexterity Modifier. Such as Item:Zephyr or Item:Treason. They are rare, however.
You can apply your Dexterity Modifier to your Ranged Damage rolls through the use of:
- Deepwood Stalker Tier 2 Enhancement - Improved Weapon Finesse (Bows and Throwing Weapons only)
- Halfling Tier 3 Enhancement - Skillful Thrower (Throwing Weapons only)
The following Feats have a minimum Dexterity Requirement:
- Manyshot Feat requires Dexterity 17
- Ten Thousand Stars Feat requires Dexterity 13
- Precision Feat requires Dexterity 13
- Improved Precise Shot Feat requires Dexterity 19
- Dodge Feat requires Dexterity 13
- Mobility Feat requires Dexterity 13
- Spring Attack Feat requires Dexterity 13
- Weapon Finesse Feat requires Dexterity 13
- Two Weapon Fighting Feat requires Dexterity 15
- Improved Two Weapon Fighting Feat requires Dexterity 17
- Greater Two Weapon Fighting Feat requires Dexterity 17
- Rapid Shot Feat requires Dexterity 13
- Shot on the Run Feat requires Dexterity 13
- Shuriken Expertise Feat requires Dexterity 13
- Mobile Spellcasting Feat requires Dexterity 13
- Combat Archery Epic Feat requires Dexterity 21
- Improved Sneak Attack Epic Feat requires Dexterity 21
Note: Feat Pre-reqs Only take into account the following bonuses:
- Base Stat value at Character Creation
- Level-Up stat point raises
- Inherent Bonuses from Ability tomes
Raising Dexterity Scores
You can raise your Dexterity score from different sources, among them:
- During character creation, you can add up to 10 points to your basic Dexterity score, which means:
- At the 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th, 20th, 24th, and 28th, you are allowed to raise a single ability by 1 point.
- The Stat point raises are often referred to as "level-ups". These increases count towards Feat Pre-requisites.
Inherent bonuses stack with all other bonuses and also count towards Feat Pre-requisites.
- A Manual of Quickness in Action will raise the Dexterity score by the appropriate value. For more information, refer to Tomes. These bonuses will show on your character sheet in the Feat section.
Unless noted otherwise, Feat Bonuses stack with each other and other sources of bonuses.
- General Feats
- Completionist feat - available at level 3 to completionists. Bonus of +2 to all abilities.
- Great Ability - Epic feat available at level 21,24,27, or 30. Bonus of +1 to Dexterity. May be selected multiple times.
- Racial Past Life Feats - The second Past Life Feat for Elf and Halfling is +1 Dexterity. These are auto-granted at level 1, but do not count for feat pre-requisites. For more information see: Racial Reincarnation.
- Class Feats
- Class Enhancements
- Artificer: Battle Engineer Enhancement - Dexterity - Provides +1 Dexterity at Tier 3 and Tier 4.
- Bard: Swashbuckler Enhancement - Dexterity - Provides +1 Dexterity at Tier 3 and Tier 4.
- Fighter: Kensai,Vanguard Enhancement - Dexterity - Provides +1 Dexterity at Tier 3 and Tier 4.
- Monk: Henshin Mystic, Ninja Spy , Shintao Enhancement - Dexterity - Provides +1 Dexterity at Tier 3 and Tier 4.
- Ninja Spy Capstone - Serenity - Provides +2 Dexterity.
- Ranger: Arcane Archer, Deepwood Stalker,Tempest Enhancement - Dexterity - Provides +1 Dexterity at Tier 3 and Tier 4.
- Rogue: Assassin, Mechanic,Thief-Acrobat Enhancement - Dexterity - Provides +1 Dexterity at Tier 3 and Tier 4.
- Sorcerer: Air Savant, Sorcerer Eldritch Knight Enhancement - Dexterity - Provides +1 Dexterity at Tier 3 and Tier 4.
- Wizard: Wizard Eldritch Knight Enhancement - Dexterity - Provides +1 Dexterity at Tier 3 and Tier 4.
- Pale Master enhancements Improved Shrouding - Shroud of the Master Vampire and Shroud of the Dread Wraith provide +2 Dexterity while in Vampire or Wraith Form.
- Patron Enhancements
- Harper Enhancement - Dexterity - Provides +1 Dexterity in Core 2 and 4 and at Tier 3 and Tier 4.
- Racial Enhancements - Five races allow to raise the Dexterity score via enhancements:
- Elf, Halfling, Drow Elf characters can increase their Dexterity by two
- Human, Half-Elf, Shadar-Kai, and Purple Dragon Knight characters can increase their Dexterity by one (Human Racial Enhancements, Half-elf Racial Human Enhancements)
- Any Half-Elf with can increase its Dexterity by one as a Tier 3 Enhancement
- Elf, Half-Elf, and Morninglord Arcane Archer Enhancement - Dexterity - Provides +1 Dexterity at Tier 3 and Tier 4.
- Epic Destiny Enhancements -
- Grandmaster of Flowers Tier 1 - 6 Stat Increase - You can select a +1 Dexterity increase at each level for 2 EDP. Maximum of +6 total.
- Shadowdancer Tier 1 - 6 Stat Increase - You can select a +1 Dexterity increase at each level for 2 EDP. Maximum of +6 total.
- Primal Avatar Spirit Boon - +2 primal bonus to Dexterity while toggled on. Tier 5 Enhancement. Will not stack with other Primal Bonuses.
- Fatesinger Echos of the Ancestors - Marital or Primal - Provides a +1 bonus to Dexterity for the Shadowdancer or Shiradi Champion selector.
- Shiradi Champion Tier 1 - 6 Stat Increase - You can select a +1 Dexterity increase at each level for 2 EDP. Maximum of +6 total.
- Shiradi Champion Audience with the Queen Can provide Pleasure of the Queen for a +4 Royal Bonus to Statistics or Joy of the Queen - Love for a +10 Royal Bonus. 5 minute duration.
Unless noted otherwise, bonuses within a single category do not stack.
- Enhancement Bonus
- Random Loot Items may come with the enhancement bonus of +1 - +17.
- Named Loot Items may come with the enhancement bonus of +1 - +18.
- Cannith Crafting Items may come with the enhancement bonus of +1 - +15.
- Slave Lords Crafting Items may come with an enhancement bonus of +5(heroic) or +17(Legendary) in the Prefix (Blue) Slot.
- Colorless Augment Slots can be slotted with a Dexterity augment with an enhancement bonus of +1 - +8
- Exceptional bonus
- Globe of True Imperial Blood can be slotted into a Colorless Slot and provides +1 Exceptional Bonus.
- Diamond of Exceptional Dexterity +1 can be slotted into a Colorless Slot and provides +1 Exceptional Bonus.
- Named Items may provide a +1 Exceptional Bonus to Dexterity. Detailed List here: Category:Exceptional Dexterity items
- Dragontouched Armor Tempest Runes may be slotted to provide a +1 Exceptional Bonus to Dexterity.
- Legendary Green Steel items may be crafted with a +2 Exceptional bonus in Tier 3.
- Insight bonus
- Random loot may come with a +1 - +8 Insight bonus.
- Cannith Crafting items may come with a +1 - +7 Insight bonus.
- Named items
- Incredible Potential Tower of Despair crafting may add a +2 Insight Bonus to Dexterity on Tower of Despair Rings.
- Legendary Green Steel items may be crafted with a +7 Insight bonus in Tier 2.
- Quality bonus
- Named items may come with a +1 - +4 Quality bonus.
- Slave Lords Crafting Items may come with a Quality bonus of +1(heroic) or +4(Legendary) in the Extra 2(Yellow) slot.
- The Devil's Handiwork Set provides a +2 Quality Bonus to Dexterity.
- Epic The Devil's Handiwork Set provides a +3 Quality Bonus to Dexterity.
- Artifact bonus
- Set bonuses Slave Lord's Might Set provides +1 Artifact Bonus (Heroic 5 Piece Set) and +2 Artifact Bonus (Legendary 5 Piece Set)
- Alchemical bonus
- Profane bonus
- Litany of the Dead provides a +1 Profane Bonus to Dexterity. -
- Epic Litany of the Dead provides a +2 Profane Bonus to Dexterity. -
- Executioner's Platemail and Band of Insightful Commands provide a +1 Profane Bonus to Dexterity. -
- Legendary Executioner's Platemail and Legendary Band of Insightful Commands provide a +2 Profane Bonus to Dexterity. -
Named weapons that use Dexterity for attack/damage
|Name||ML||Type||Attack mod||Damage mod|
|Sky Pirate's Dagger||4||Dagger||STR, DEX||STR, DEX|
|Staff of Nat Gann||4||Quarterstaff||STR, DEX||STR, DEX|
|Tiefling Assassin's Blade||4||Short Sword||STR, DEX||STR, DEX|
|Chieftain's Spear||4||Quarterstaff||STR, DEX||STR, DEX|
|Midnight Greetings||5||Kukri||STR, DEX||STR, DEX|
|Whirlwind||10||Great Sword||STR, DEX||STR, DEX|
|Zephyr||10||Short Sword||STR, DEX||STR, DEX|
|Flint||10||Dagger||STR, DEX||STR, DEX|
|Treason||14||Short Sword||STR, DEX||STR, DEX|
|Stormreach Guardian's Crossbow||14||Repeating Light Crossbow||DEX||N/A|
|Axe of the Unseen Blow||14||Hand Axe||STR, DEX||STR|
|Envenomed Blade||16||Short Sword||STR, DEX||STR, DEX|
|Epic Midnight Greetings||20||Kukri||STR, DEX||STR, DEX|
|Epic Staff of Nat Gann||20||Quarterstaff||STR, DEX||STR, DEX|
|Epic Zephyr||20||Short Sword||STR, DEX||STR, DEX|
|Epic Envenomed Blade||20||Short Sword||STR, DEX||STR, DEX|
|Rebellion||25||Short Sword||STR, DEX||STR, DEX|
|Legendary Stormreach Guardian's Crossbow||29||Repeating Light Crossbow||DEX||N/A|
Bonuses from spells will not stack with bonuses of the same type from other sources
- Enhancement Bonus
- Cat's Grace - Provides a +4 Enhancement Bonus to Dexterity
- Alchemical Bonus-
- Tenser's Transformation - Provides a +4 Alchemical Bonus to Dexterity
Unless otherwise noted, Temporary bonuses will not stack with bonuses of the same type from other sources.
- Guild bonus
- Alchemical bonus
- Profane bonus
- Hezrou Cookie When you consume a Hezrou Cookie, you receive a +4 Profane Bonus to Dexterity for 12 minutes.
- Stacking bonuses - These bonuses are all temporary and seem to be Untyped and stack with all other sources
NOTE: This is accurate through U38
The theoretical Sustainable maximum for Dexterity is 129/119 (Situational/Sustainable) in Primal Avatar using an Elf/Halfling Fighter 12/ Monk 8.
The theoretical Situational maximum for Dexterity is 137/117 (Situational/Sustainable) in Shiradi Champion using an Elf/Halfling Fighter 12/ Monk 8.
The Breakdown is as follows:
- 20 Base (Spend 10 build points to get max possible for Race)
- +7 Level-up
- +8 Tome
- +2 Racial Enhancement (6 AP)
- +16 Class Enhancements
- +4 Harper Enhancements (24 AP, Core 2 & 4, Tier 3 & 4 Dexterity +4)
- +2 Racial PL Feats for Elf and Halfling
- +2 Completionist Feat
- +4 Epic Feat (Great Ability x4)
- +5 Twists (+3 twisted in from EDs, +1 twisted in from Epic Completionist bonus +1 Twisted in with Level 30 bonus Twist)
- +20 Item Enhancement Bonus (Item: Van Richten's Spectacles)
- +9 Insightful (Item: Legendary Crumbling Gloves)
- +2 Exceptional(Legendary Greensteel)
- +4 Quality Item
- +2 Artifact (Legendary Slave Lords Might Set)
- +2 Guild Airship Buffs
- +6 Epic Destinies (e.g. +6 from Primal Avatar/Shiradi Champion for +6 Tier 1-6)
- +4 Profane(Abishai Bonus. +2 Sustainable from Well Rounded or Litany)
- +4 Alchemical (+2Alchemical Weapon or +4 from Tenser's Transformation)
- +2 Competence (Bard Inspire Excellence song)
- +2 Yugoloth
- +2 DDO Store Potion
- Now pick one of two destinies - Primal Avatar for Sustainable Max. Shiradi Champion for Situational Max. You cannot be in two destinies simultaneously.
- +2 Primal Avatar +2 from Spirit Boon (Sustainable) OR
- +10 Royalty (+10 from Audience with the Queen Shiradi bonus, lasts 5 minutes)(Not Sustainable)
- This option only requires 4 levels of Monk, technically. You can obtain the necessary Adept/Master/Grandmaster of Forms Feats without 8 Monk levels.
- You can, thus incorporate 4 Ranger, 4 Rogue levels or do a 14/6, 15/5, or 16/4 Fighter/Monk Split.
- If you Change the Race to Human or Half-Elf it costs you -1 Dexterity.
- If you want to eliminate the Monk entirely, it costs you -4 Dexterity.
- If you want to run in Shadowdancer or Grandmaster of Flowers it costs you -2 Dexterity.
- If you want to run pure builds: Fighter 20(-3 Dex), Rogue 20 (-11 Dex), Ranger 20 (-9 Dex), Monk 20 (-7 Dex)