Cannith Crafting overview
Introduced in Update 9, this crafting system allows players to construct completely customized weapons, shields, armor, jewelry, and clothing. This system was introduced in a state of live beta and had been changed throughout Updates 9 and 10 (source). The beta tag was removed with Update 11. There are currently two Crafting Halls: one in House Kundarak, near the exit to the Marketplace; and one in House Cannith, near the Cannith Challenges crafters and across the plaza from the Auctioneer and Stormreach Teleporter.
 General crafting process
Main Article: Detailed Crafting Steps
The general crafting process consists of three steps:
Step 1: Item Deconstruction
- Items with magical properties can be deconstructed into essences, or stripped of magical properties to create a blank item. Essences and blank items are not bound and can be freely traded. However, blank items created from items which are Bound to Account remain bound to account.
- Note: The deconstruction of any item lowers its durability and hardness to the base (unenchanted) level for that item. If it has damage it may lower the durability to the point where the item is damaged beyond repair. However, the durability and hardness will increase again as magical properties are added. This does not fix existing damage.
- Note: Haggle skill affects how much money is earned when deconstructing items for their essences. Raising haggle by 15 resulted in 14% more money earned. The exact returns might differ with different base haggle skill.
Step 2: Shard Creation
- Magical effect shards can be crafted from essences. Each shard represents one weapon, clothing or armor enhancement. Players may choose between Bound to Account and unbound versions of the same shard. Unbound shards have triple the cost and approximately double the level requirement of bound shards. See Shard Details for a list of all possible shards.
Step 3: Combining Shard and Blank item
- Blank items are combined with shards to create the final item. Unbound blank items combined with bound shards become Bound to Character On Acquire; unbound blanks combined with unbound shards become Bound to Character On Equip (so the crafted item can still be sold/traded before being equipped).
- Bound to Account blank items' bind status remain the same if combined with bound or unbound shards. See BtA base items to find out where to get these kind of items
All three steps require crafting devices and the deconstruction of items additionally requires vendor-purchased reagents. Players may visit either Crafting Hall to find crafting devices and reagent vendors, as well as a banker, an auctioneer, and a mailbox.
There are 3 schools of crafting (Arcane/Divine/Elemental). The crafting of shards requires an appropriate crafting level in the school, depending on the type of shard. The crafting level can be increased by gaining crafting XP, awarded for creating (lower level) shards.
 What you can and cannot do with Cannith Crafting
"Okay I've got a +1 Paralyzing Kama, but I don't have monk, so I'm going to deconstruct it and transfer the Paralyzing effect to my Khopesh." "Darn, +3 Acid Silver Longsword of Greater Lawful Outsider Bane! It's so close! I'm going to take this and swap Acid for Holy." The system doesn't work like this.
Look at it this way: Crafting Essences are like another kind of currency. You take your unwanted loot (which otherwise could be sold to vendors) to the Crafting Hall and disjoin them for Essences. Then, you need to spend your Essences to level up in your 3 crafting schools by creating random Shards. This is like purchasing crafting XP or manually applying XP to your character.
Then, say you want to add Holy prefix to your blank weapon, the bound Holy shard recipe requires level 37 in the Divine school. Once you reach level 27 in that school (10 below the level of the recipe), you can use your ingredients to create the shard with 50% failure chance. Your chance for success increases 5% per level in the relevant school, and at level 37 you succeed 100% of time. You also gain a 5% success bonus for each individual shard recipe each time you successfully create that shard.
Please note: Once an item's Enhancement level reaches its potential level, no additional enhancements can be added without raising the potential. (e.g. If you have an item with potential of +5, adding something like the Force Critical Ritual would make its enhancement +6. The Enhancement is greater than the potential, thus the item is no longer able to be crafted. To continue crafting on this item requires the application of shards that raise its potential (see Shards of Potential).
 Level progression
Crafting level is supposed to be capped at 200 in Update 14. XP requirement to advance in crafting goes steeper at higher levels.
See Level Progression for full details on experience and leveling with the crafting system
As of Update 23, the ability to use Crude Vial to craft Shard of Potential has been removed.
 Crafting components
 Craftable Item (Dust of Disjunction)
Strips all magical effects and qualities off a randomly generated item, and keys it for further crafting. Stone of Change buffs for weapons and armor are removed, but the base bound and attuned state remains. Item material, such as silver or adamantine, as well as guild augment sockets are not removed by this dust (NOTE: Metalline is an enchantment, not a material). The Masterful Craftmanship and Wondrous Craftsmanship special ability will be removed. The Cursed special ability (as in Curse of Clumsiness, for example) will be removed in functionality (both the penalty and the reduction in minimum level), but not in name; that is, deconstruction will yield a non-cursed normal craftable object with a cursed name. Non-named randomly generated Bound to Account items will retain their Bound to Account status. No xp or essences are gained when Dust of Disjunction is used.
Some character level requirements seem to not be removed on combined crafted, guild augment, and attuned items when disjoined. The process can be 'reset' by placing the item in the bank and removing it if the crafting item was attuned at level one, or crafting an appropriate level enhancement onto the recently stripped down item if it was attuned with previously existing level requirements.
 Enhancement bonus (Liquid Knife Potion)
|+1 Item||+1 Enhancement Spirit||Arcane|
|+2 Item||+2 Enhancement Spirit||Arcane|
|+3 Item||+3 Enhancement Spirit||Arcane|
|+4 Item||+4 Enhancement Spirit||Arcane|
|+5 Item||+5 Enhancement Spirit||Arcane|
 Prefix (Parfett's Leading Dissolver)
Anything before the item-type/name
 Suffix (Lorinda's Ultimate Remover)
Anything after the item-type/name
"Flexible" shards have been added to crafting recipes! These shards have loosened equipment slot restrictions when compared to their counterpart recipes and as such allow you to put effects on many more equipment slots than were previously available, though at a higher minimum level and greater ingredient costs. For example, a Dexterity +4 shard can only go on gloves, rings, and boots. A flexible Dexterity +4 shard allows you to apply the effect to any equipment slot except weapons and shields. These new recipes go from level 101 to 150 on the Crafting Device for Bound Shards and go from level 151 to 200 on the Crafting Device for Unbound Shards. (thanks to update 14 release notes)
 Crafting reagents
|Dust of Disjunction||When combined in a crafting device with a magical treasure item, the item will be stripped of all magical effects and qualities, but will then be keyed for further crafting. The dust basically produces a blank slate on which to craft new magical effects.||The item's material, such as silver or adamantine, as well as guild augment slots (if any), are not removed by this dust. They are intrinsically part of the item and remain after disjunction.|
|Liquid Knife Potion||With the help of a crafting device, this reaction can be controlled to remove and distill the magical enhancement bonus into Enhancement Spirit. This spirit can then be applied to other craftable equipment.||Used to strip any +1, +2, +3, +4, or +5 Enhancement bonus off of randomly generated loot and to obtain respective Enhancement Spirits.|
|Lorinda's Ultimate Remover||This bubbling, green concoction is used in crafting deconstruction recipes to dissolve 'suffix' treasure effects off of items and reduce them to their base magical essences.||Suffix effects are those that are listed after the main title of the object. |
Example: A Dagger of Deception has 'Deception' as its 'suffix' effect.
|Parfett's Leading Dissolver||This malleable, putty-like paste is used in crafting deconstruction recipes to dissolve 'prefix' treasure effects off of items and reduce them to their base magical essences.||Prefix effects are those that are listed before the main title of the object but exclude enhancement bonus values such as '+1'. |
Example: A +2 Flaming Long Sword has 'Flaming' as its 'prefix' effect.
 Amount of essences gained
Deconstruction of any item or shard always yields some Lesser Essences, and has a 1 in 3 chance of also yielding some Greater Essences.
This is a partial listing. Since Update 15, recipes up to level 12 deconstruction exist.
 Essence types
 Transmuting Essences
By talking to one of the Master Craftsmen and selecting Transmute Essences, you get to a special crafting window, allowing you to Transmute and Sunder Greater Essences.
- Sundering converts 1 Greater Essence into 5 Lesser Essences of the same type.
- Currently you must sunder 1 Greater Essence at a time. There is not an option to sunder 10 or 100 essences at once, yet.
As you can imagine, sundering large quantities of essences is very tiring for your clicking finger/wrist.
This being the case, there is an external scripting application that may help you to sunder large quantities with minimal clicking.
Please see Batch Sundering for details of how to do this.
- Currently you must sunder 1 Greater Essence at a time. There is not an option to sunder 10 or 100 essences at once, yet.
- Transmuting allows you to trade 2 Greater Essences into the next subtype of the same school, using a repeating system:
- Arcane: Arcane → Body → Mind → Arcane
- Divine: Divine → Good → Chaos → Evil→ Law→ Divine
- Elemental: Earth → Air → Fire → Water → Earth
 Crafting components from treasure and vendors
 Arrows used
See Crafting Arrows for the list of arrows used.
 Collectables used
 Soul Gems used
 End-reward ingredients
|Ing.||Found at||Used to craft|
|The Red Fens||Metalline Shard|
Mystical Dried Fish
|Sorrowdusk Isle||Dusk Shard|
|Ruins of Threnal|
|The Vale of Twilight|
|Resistance +5 Shard|
 Vendor ingredients
Some ingredients used in Cannith crafting can be bought from vendors that are also BtA. On rare occasions these ingredients can also be found in chests where they are unbound.
|Ing.||Sold by||Used to craft|
Mark of House Cannith
|Visgard d'Cannith||Shard of Masterful Craftsmanship I|
Mark of the Silver Flame
|Salariin Founts||Holy Burst Shard|
Mark of the Yugoloth
|Azdaf the Wary||Attack Bonus +4 Shard|
A good deal of level 71 and higher recipes use Purified Eberron Dragonshard Fragments as a ingredient. They can be regarded one of the most tedious ingredients to come by as the only sure source for them is trading ability tomes for them.
 Shards of potential and crafting effects
 Shards of potential
Shards of Potential increase the maximum enchantment level an item may receive. Without a Shard, a crafted item may receive enchantments leading to a base price modifier of up to +5; Shards of Potential may increase this maximum up to +15. The increased potential must be implemented one shard at a time, using a +6 Shard of Potential to push the enchantment limit from +5 to +6, then a +7 Shard of Potential to push the enchantment limit from +6 to +7, and so on. Shards of Potential cannot be deconstructed.
- Any stack of the same essences can be used to make them
- Any Crafting school (essences do not need to be related to crafting school)
 Shards, effects and ingredients tables
- For a full list of Cannith Crafting Shards, See: Cannith Crafting/Shard Details.
- For a full list of Cannith Crafting Arrows, See: Craftable Arrows
- For a full list of Cannith Crafting Bolts, See: Craftable Bolts
 Total enchantment modifier and minimum level
If the item is armor or weapon, further reduce the minimum level by 1.
You may reduce a crafted item's minimum level using Mark of House Cannith and Shard of Masterful Craftsmanship. Can reduce ML up to -2 levels. See the item description pages for more information. NOTE: If an item has an Absolute Minimum Level, that item's ML can never be reduced below the AML.
|Enchantment modifier|| For an item
with no minimum level
| For an item|
with existing minimum level
|+1||Minimum level 1||adds up to +2 to current minimum level||(Not to exceed level cap of 28)|
|+2||Minimum level 3||adds up to +4 to current minimum level|
|+3||minimum level 5||adds up to +6 to current minimum level|
|+4||minimum level 7||adds up to +8 to current minimum level|
|+5||minimum level 9||adds up to +10 to current minimum level|
|+6||minimum level 11||adds up to +12 to current minimum level|
|+7||minimum level 13||adds up to +14 to current minimum level|
|+8||minimum level 15||adds up to +16 to current minimum level|
|+9||minimum level 17||adds up to +18 to current minimum level|
|+10||minimum level 19||adds up to +20 to current minimum level|
|+11||minimum level 21||adds up to +22 to current minimum level|
|+12||minimum level 23||adds up to +24 to current minimum level|
|+13||minimum level 25||adds up to +26 to current minimum level|
|+14||minimum level 27||adds up to +28 to current minimum level|
|+15||minimum level 29||adds up to +30 to current minimum level|
 Missing and bugged properties
Because of unknown reasons, might be balance or coding
 Missing properties
- Not in system
- Any spell clickies that aren't in one of the spell boost (i.e. Bear's Endurance, Solid Fog) except Everbright,
- Force Burst
- Precision - Note that this gives the Precise Shot feat, and not the Precision feat.
- UMD Persuasion shards give +3 to all charisma based skills including UMD so this might not be considered missing.
- Every other effect that's not available on lootgen items.
- Any 2d6 damage bonus other than Vicious, such as Blazing or Greater Good.
- Certain top-tier enchantments, such as Jump +15 or Stunning +10, with +13 and +8 being available, respectively.
(List should be updated as more properties are found to be missing.)
 Bugged properties
- Anarchic on Handwraps, unlike non-crafted, adding Anarchic will give you negative level when the handwraps are equipped. This is Working As Intended (dev post), it is the non-crafted wraps that used to be bugged.
- Returning Throwing Weapons
- Update 11 patch 1 fixed it so that "All non-named returning throwing weapons are now craftable." (It also made all returning throwing weapons non-stackable and any stacks you already had in storage are now fused together and cannot be un-stacked.)
- Winter Festival added Cold Touch reportedly does not allow a Thrower to be disjoined, because Throwers that don't work in Cannith Crafting also don't work in the Risian Crafting Altar (or Stone of Change, so Bind/Attune doesn't help here either).
- Not sure if this is still true. Will see at next Winter Festival.
 Stone of Change
- Binding and Attuning costs 400 shards, regardless of minimum level of item
- Confirmed Fixed as of U13.1: Adding an eldritch Stone of Change ritual raises the necessary Potential by one and changes minimum level accordingly. - Now it still raises the total enchantment by +1, but ignores potential correctly.
- Adding Stone of Change Force Ritual to Handwraps breaks all other effects on the Handwraps. Strip and re-craft without the Force Ritual to avoid. Forum thread link
 Festival crafting
 Crafting Iron Defender/Druid Companion Collars
Cannith Crafting does not, by itself, allow for crafting directly to Collars (It does as of U22). However, handwraps (named, crafted or randomly-generated) can be turned into Iron Defender/Druid Companion Collars with the same abilities and enhancements by using any of the trapmaking Device Workstations (currently found in the Harbor, House Cannith, and some guild ships). U14: as reported in U14 release notes, named handwraps can now be converted into modules and they are now called "collars". Handwraps can be converted using essences instead of trap parts.
 Parts Required
The recipe for this requires any handwraps and an amount of mechanical trap parts that increases based on the total enhancement bonus of the handwraps.
|+1 ~ +3||10|
|+4 ~ +6||25|
|+7 ~ +9||50|
|+10 ~ +12||75|
|+13 or more||100|
 Important Notes:
- Collars may be disjoined and made craftable using the Cannith crafting system, but since no recipes exist that require them, the crafting process is not reversible without starting fresh with a different pair of handwraps.
- The Artificer's Iron Defender Homunculus will not be able to use modules that have an alignment requirement unless the homunculus has taken the corresponding homunculus enhancements for that alignment.
- The effectiveness of converting impact handwraps (for bludgeoning weapons) to a collar (not a bludgeoning weapon) is currently unknown.
 Cannith Crafting Q&A
Q: Does TRing reset crafting XP ?
- A: Actually, any kind of reincarnation does affect crafting skills. The crafting levels reached in each of the three schools are unaffected, but the individual crafting success increases given through multiple crafting of a given shard are all lost (along with the reduction in the crafting XP granted). DDO forum
Q: Can you craft stuff above your character level ?
- A: Yes, it is possible to craft shards and items the character is unable to use because of their minimum level. Character level has no effect on the crafting process.
Q: Can you craft stuff above your crafting level ?
- A: Yes, but it involves a chance to fail and lose ingredients. You can attempt crafting on shards that are up to 10 levels above your crafting level. Note that success boosters (purchased in the DDO Store or from House Cannith Favor) cannot expand this limit - they only make recipes more successful that you can already attempt.
Q: Where can I find crafting experience boosters, success boosters, and ingredient bags ?
- A: In the DDO Store try searching for crafting or ingredients.
- (Ingredient bags will hold all of your crafting supplies.)
Q: Can you make level 20+ items ?
- A: The upper minimum level limit is the level cap, even if the crafted item should have an even greater level.
Q: Can you overwrite prefixes or suffixes on a crafting prepared item ?
- A: No. This was removed but not documented sometime after update 12 (12.1?). It was still possible to downgrade some enchantments, but this was not intended and was fixed in update 13. Turbine is aware the feature was popular amongst crafters and is "considering" its future.
- Prior to U12: Yes, but the special requirement is that the shard must be in a bag. Without an official statement from Turbine, it is unknown whether property overwriting is intended functionality or not.
Q: Which effects can I put on which loot?
- A: Forum user EllisDee37 has compiled a nice guide to show which effects can go on which gear, prefixes and suffixes. DDO forum
Q: How can one tell if the shard they have created will be affixed as a prefix or suffix, or to denote such on purpose for a plan towards specific abilities?
- A: Check the shard name. The word "Shard" should be substituted to a given item for a better understanding. For example a Blindness Ward Shard will result in Blindess Ward Goggles once the shard is applied to craftable goggles, so Blindness Ward is a prefix. A Shard of Lesser False Life will result in a Belt of Lesser False Life if applied to a belt, so Lesser False Life is a suffix.
Q: My store-purchased Craftable Trinket isn't craftable at all!
- A: The +5 Craftable attribute on said trinket is initially broken, but it can be fixed by applying a Dust of Disjunction on the item.
U11 Q: will Masterful Craftsmanship I reduce my item minimum level to 18?
- U11 A: No levels are uneven and get subtracted before capping the item to 20, so it counts as 1 enchantment level lower.
 See also
- Cannith Crafting Tutorial
- Shard Details for all-in-one table.
- DDO Store Crafting