All adventure packs are free for a limited time! Until April 23, use the code
DUNGEONCRAWL in the DDO Store to unlock a plethora of free quests!
More info: https://www.ddo.com/news/ddo-free-dungeoncrawl
Game mechanics • Newbie guide • In development • DDO Store • Social Media
Challenges • Classes • Collectables • Crafting • Enhancements • Epic Destinies • Favor • Feats
Glossary • Items • Maps • Monsters • Places • Quests • Races • Reincarnation • Skills • Spells
Please create an account or log in to build a reputation and unlock more editing privileges, and then visit DDO wiki's IRC Chat/Discord if you need any help!
The Faithful Departed
The Age of Giants claimed the lives of many elven refugees. The sacred site is where their remains are entombed.
|The Faithful Departed|
|Heroic XP:||♣1,154Solo/Casual ♦2,038Normal ♥2,152Hard ♠2,266Elite|
|Takes place in:||Tomb of the Ancients|
|Bestowed by:||Avanti Moonwillow|
|NPC contact:||Avanti Moonwillow|
|Quest acquired in:||Golden Wing Inn|
|Purchase:||Free to Play|
The Drow have been desecrating burial temples across Xen'drik.
Avanti Moonwillow, emissary of the Undying Court, has asked you to prevent the Drow from doing this to the Temple of the Ancients.
The Undying Court has also requested that you ensure the safety of the Venerated entombed inside.
You can find Transport to the Shrouded Vale from the House Phiarlan Enclave by talking to Odonis Arkim. The Tomb of the Ancients is located inside the Shrouded Vale.
- You can reach the quest entrance through the Shrouded Vale, a small outdoor zone. The entrance to Shrouded Vale is located in the northwest corner of House Phiarlan, behind the Chapter House and next to the caravan to Tangleroot Gorge.
Spoiler Warning: Spoiler material below this point!
- Purge the Tomb of scorrow (4 total)
- Kill the scorrow, Kas'san
- Kill the scorrow, Ak'xan
- Kill the scorrow, Calar
- Kill the scorrow, Takk, and his minions
- (Failure) Allow the Venerated to be destroyed (3 or more out of 4)
- (Optional) (Lore) Check the Book on the Pedestal — Bonus (15%): Heroic( ♣173 ♦306 ♥323 ♠340 )
What to Expect
- Traps (fixed, some undisarmable)
- Spawning/respawning monsters
- Protect NPCs (mandatory: 4 Venerated)
- Randomly placed quest item (mandatory: Key)
- Quest failure (if more than 2 out of 4 Venerated die)
- Random spikes and blades on corridors
Tips and Misc
- The bridge to the tomb entrance is missing most of its structure, but can be jumped with a horse and a modified jump skill of 34-ish. You can't use a horse inside the Vale area, but if you enter while mounted you will stay mounted for the outside bit until knocked off or you dismount. (Mounts add +20 to your jump skill so that's pretty easily achievable.) This lets you avoid most of the wandering around trying to get up to the tomb, and dealing with about half the drow.
- Once inside the tomb, your primary foes are scorpions, scorrow and drow. The scorrows make heavy use of poison, which inflicts a heavy CON damage; and the drow make heavy use of blindness as well. If your party is equipped with anti-blindness and anti-poison equipment, it will make life much easier here.
- The spiders in the tomb are no friend to the drow either.
- You fail this quest if 3 out of 4 Venerated die. Several things you should heed when dealing with the Venerated:
- Though the Venerated will appear as if a red-name mob, they are actually going to be attacked by the real mobs; the red-name is mainly there to prevent clerics from healing them with Harm or Inflict Wounds.
- The Venerated will take damage from players' AoE spells, like firewalls – so be careful! They are in fact vulnerable to fire.
- Cloudkill and Circle of Death, however, are AoE spells that are safe to use, because non-living creatures are unaffected.
- The Venerated are not harmed by Death Aura, Lesser Death Aura, or Negative Energy Burst; but unfortunately, neither are they healed. [confirmed]
- Do not use charm spells to bring scorrows or drow under your control, they will keep attacking the Venerated.
- Do not use hirelings either for the very same reason.
- Note that hirelings can be safely used if you command them to stay a good distance from where you will be encountering the Venerated. The locations of the Venerated are noted on the map (white squares with black dot). This allows you to use hirelings to help battle the rest of the creatures you face.
- Note that hirelings might be safely used if you command them to defend you only. This would allow them to fight any of your attackers and heal you. Do not use hirelings with AoE attacks (AoE healing, too?) in this fashion. Also, defensive hirelings need more testing, but so far so good (1 run, overlevel (level 21) with a bard hireling. Helped in all four Venerated fights without ever attacking the Venerated).
- The Venerated will become passive NPC's when their associated attackers are killed (the drow that immediately set upon them when they emerge). That includes the final Venerated, though the other drow in the last room will still attack him if they are alive.
- The Venerated are mummies, so beware of catching Pernicious Mummy Rot. They will cast a Fear spell when they emerge to defend themselves that can affect you and the drow.
- Know that the final room is kind of a player trap. Essentially, the large room features a raised platform where scorrow will get to work immediately on dispatching the Venerated once you are there. Ignore the drow at the lower level, or you risk failing this quest because the scorrow are left unchallenged at the top of the platform.
- The final room is by far the hardest, but if you have saved at least 2 of the Venerated before the final room then you can take your time and pull mobs to you and just let the last Venerated die and still win. Running in and trying to zerg all the mobs will most likely result in lots of deaths.
- You can range a few drow from the ledge above before you actually "enter" the final room, and so not trigger the fight.
- Only the named scorrow, not any of the lesser drow scorpions, count towards the first objective.
- The Book on the Pedestal can be found in the room north of the shrine.
- Despite the "Lore" blurb in the objective, no Lore seems to actually be required.
- Aggression bonus: 69 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.( ♣115 ♦204 ♥215 ♠227 )
- Onslaught bonus: 90 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.( ♣173 ♦306 ♥323 ♠340 )
- Conquest bonus: 111 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.( ♣289 ♦510 ♥538 ♠567 )
- Ingenious Debilitation bonus: 6? or more traps disarmed +30% Bonus.( ♣346 ♦611 ♥646 ♠680 )
- Mischief bonus: 61 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.( ♣92 ♦163 ♥172 ♠181 )
- Vandal bonus: 80 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.( ♣115 ♦204 ♥215 ♠227 )
- Ransack bonus: 98 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.( ♣173 ♦306 ♥323 ♠340 )
- Chests: 2
- 1 in a room with a Venerated (can spawn in multiple locations)
- 1 at the end for killing Takk (Drow Scorpion)
- NPC rewards: Random item
DDOwiki maintenance categories
DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories
Root > DDO game guides > Maps > Quests with maps
Root > DDO game guides > Maps > Quests with more than one map
Root > DDO library
Root > DDO meta
Root > DDO meta > DDO Official
Root > DDOwiki meta
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Free to Play quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by duration > Medium quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by favor reward > Quests with 4 base favor reward
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by level > DDO Compendium
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by level > Level 8 quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by location > House Phiarlan quests > Golden Wing Inn quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by name
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by patron > House Phiarlan patron quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by zone > Tomb of the Ancients quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > External links > YouTube links > Links to YouTube