Mounts can be summoned in almost all wilderness adventure areas (they do not work in The Restless Isles or The Waterworks), all public areas, and select quests (typically ones containing other quests like Gateway to Khyber.) They grant a bonus to run speed:
- Normal mounts move at 180% the base character run speed
- Fast mounts move at 200% the base character run speed.
Mounts have been introduced in Update 44.
In terms of game mechanics, mounts are items. Double-click them to add them to your mount stable. The stable is server-wide, available for all your characters on the server. You can access it on the horseshoe tab of your inventory screen. From there, you can drag the mount to your hotbar. Use the hotbar button to mount.
Mounting and dismounting
- Mounting triggers a progress bar of around 3 seconds, although you are not required to stand still during that time. If you are auto-running while the progress bar is shown, you will continue to run (at higher speed) once the mount action is complete. (Note that taking damage during this period will interrupt the bar and you'll need to start again.
- Mounting is not possible while swimming, although mounts can swim if you enter water while already mounted.
- Mounting in mid-air is possible (e.g. with Feather Fall), and the mount speed increase is applied immediately if you are moving forward while falling.
- To dismount, press the block key. By default, this is the ⇧ Left Shift. You also dismount automatically if your character takes damage or attempts to cast a spell. Characters may not engage in combat while mounted, although some passive damaging auras (such as Magus Chill Aura) continue to tick and deal damage to nearby enemies.
- The player characters' movement speed is replaced with the movement speed of the mount (VIP speed bonus still applies while mounted).
- Mounts grant a bonus of 20 points to Jump (skill).
- Like players, mounts will wade slowly in knee-deep water, but because their legs are longer, this requires much deeper water than that which would slow down a player. As a result, mounting while wading provides the additional benefit of cancelling slow-wading mode while adding its own speed bonus.
- Horses have no effect on swim speed, although they also begin swimming in deeper water than players.
Rune arm automatic charging is suppressed while mounted.
Several /emotes (e.g. /dance) will work for mounts.
Mounts are available from multiple sources:
- Purchase a base certificate for 15 Quaal Feather Tokens.
- Upgrade the base certificate to a fast one with an Enchanted Horseshoe.
- Note: Once the certificate is consumed, the mount is added to your stable, and it can no longer be upgraded.
- Event rewards: Hardcore League, The Night Revels...
- The Reaper's Steed from the Night Revels is probably the easiest mount for a free-to-play account to obtain, although it is of course only available around late October and early November. It is however fairly likely that similar mounts will later be released for the Snowpeaks Festival and Anniversary Party events.
- Select raids:
- Daily Dice, gold roll 96+: Fast White Stallion, Fast Midnight Stallion, ...
- DDO Store has some mounts
- DDO Market: some expansion bundles include mounts
Fast Midnight Stallion ML:1 Speed 100% BTA
Fast White Stallion ML:1 Speed 100% BTA
You do not have to buy different horses for each race, the horse you summon will scale to your character's current size. This includes later reincarnations (which make characters appear slightly physically larger for their second and then third/subsequent incarnations) and race changes over lives.
The size of the mount has no effect on speed or combat.
Most (all?)needs verification taverns don't allow mounts to be ridden inside them - this includes open-air taverns, as well as the Drow camp in the Isle of Forgotten Dreams. Rather than dispelling the mount automatically, they instead apply a special status condition known as Mount Suppression. Mount Suppression dispels your mount's appearance and the jump and speed bonus while in a tavern, but as soon as you exit, the mount appears again.
Pressing the dismount key (Shift by default) will dispel your suppressed mount, and you will be put back into mount suppression if you summon a mount while in a tavern.