Shadow of Hate
Monster Manual classification: Unknown
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Color Type: Orange - Named Enemy
Organization: Normally solitary or pair; Normally accompanied by multiple other monsters of a single variety (variety varies with location)
- DR/Cold Iron
- Immune to fire, electricity, poison
- Resistant to acid, cold
- Vulnerable to light
- Affected by Evil Outsider Bane and Chaotic Outsider Bane
Rend Curse melee attack lowers Maximum HP on hit; Multiple stacks can quickly accumulate; Remove Curse removes one stack, increasing Max HP (HP loss due to decrease still needs to be healed)
- An Invitation to Dinner — In Ground Floor Dining Room, with Spectres; In Rahadin's Office, with Rahadin; In Icon of Ravenloft location, with backup dependent on location (Fire Mephits if encountered near Treasury (3rd Floor))
- A Raven at the Door
- Fairly large monsters, that can fill and block a doorway, if someone engages them in the right place, preventing the Shadow of Hate's allies from getting past until the Shadow is down (N.B. not a foolproof solution, but it can help).
- Shadows of Hate are too large to fit through some smaller doorways at all, so can be pulled to those locations (if available) and ranged or ignored until other threats are dealt with.
- Rend Curse combined with attacks from companion monsters can quickly reduce Maximum HP and Actual HP total, allowing characters to be one-shotted by attacks that would not normally be an issue. Stunning Shadows of Hate (or using other forms of CC) can allow the other monsters to be killed first, making the fight versus the Shadows of Hate less deadly.