Charisma measures a player character's force of personality, persuasiveness, personal magnetism, ability to lead, and physical attractiveness. This ability represents actual strength of personality, not merely how one is perceived by others in a social setting. Charisma is most important for bards, paladins, sorcerers, and warlocks. It is also important for clerics, since it affects their ability to turn undead. Every creature has a Charisma score.
You apply your character's Charisma modifier to:
- Bluff, Diplomacy, Haggle, Intimidate, Perform, and Use Magic Device checks. These are the skills that have Charisma as their key ability.
- Checks that represent attempts to influence others.
- Turning checks for clerics and paladins attempting to turn zombies, vampires, and other undead.
- Healing capacity of Lay on Hands.
- Increasing the saving throws of a level 2 (or higher) paladin via Divine Grace.
- Increasing the benefits of Divine Might for Cleric, Favored Soul and Paladin.
- Spell Difficulty Class (DC) for Sorcerer, Bard, and Warlock spells.
- Difficulty Class (DC) for many racial SLA/Enhancements, e.g.:
- Purple Dragon Knight Cormyrian Knight Training adds 1/3 of Charisma Modifier to Tactical Feats
- Purple Dragon Knight For Cormyr Enhancement's Damage Bonus
- DC on Bard Warchanter Enhancements: Frozen Fury, Spinning Ice
- DC on Warlock Enhancements: Devour the Soul, Hurl through Hell, Stricken
- Force of Personality Feat allows Charisma to be used for all Will Save rolls, instead of Wisdom
Bards, favored souls, sorcerers, and warlocks get bonus spell points based on their Charisma scores. The minimum Charisma score needed to cast a bard, sorcerer, or warlock spell is 10 + the spell's level.
You can also apply your Charisma Modifier to your Melee attack rolls and/or damage rolls through the use of:
- Swashbuckler Tier 3 enhancement Different Tack (Damage Rolls Only)
- Purple Dragon Knight Tier 1 Enhancement - Cormyrian Knight Training (Short Swords, Long Swords, Bastard Swords, and Great Swords only)
- Named Weapons will also allow you to use your Charisma Modifier. Such as Item:Elyd Edge or Item:Epic Elyd Edge. They are rare, however.
The following Feats have a minimum Charisma Requirement:
- Force of Personality Requires Charisma 13
Note: Feat Pre-reqs Only take into account the following bonuses:
- Base Stat value at Character Creation
- Level-Up stat point raises
- Inherent Bonuses from Ability tomes
Raising Charisma Scores
You can raise your Charisma score from different sources, among them:
- During character creation, you can add up to 10 points to your basic Charisma score, which means:
- At the 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th, 20th, 24th, and 28th, you are allowed to raise a single ability by 1 point.
- The Stat point raises are often referred to as "level-ups". These increases count towards Feat Pre-requisites.
Inherent bonuses stack with all other bonuses and also count towards Feat Pre-requisites.
- A Manual of Leadership and Influence will raise the Charisma score by the appropriate value. For more information, refer to Tomes. These bonuses will show on your character sheet in the Feat section.
Unless noted otherwise, Feat Bonuses stack with each other and other sources of bonuses.
- General Feats
- Completionist feat - available at level 3 to completionists. Bonus of +2 to all abilities.- available at level 3 to completionists. Bonus of +2 to all abilities.
- Great Ability - Epic feat available at level 21,24,27, or 30. Bonus of +1 to Charisma. May be selected multiple times.
- Racial Past Life Feats - The second Past Life Feat for Dragonborn and Half-Elf is +1 Charisma. These are auto-granted at level 1, but do not count for feat pre-requisites. For more information see: Racial Reincarnation.
- Class Feats
- Class Enhancements
- Bard: Spellsinger, Swashbuckler, Warchanter Enhancement - Charisma - Provides +1 Charisma at Tier 3 and Tier 4.
- Cleric: Divine Disciple, Radiant Servant, Warpriest Enhancement - Charisma - Provides +1 Charisma at Tier 3 and Tier 4.
- Favored Soul: Angel of Vengeance, Warpriest Enhancement - Charisma - Provides +1 Charisma at Tier 3 and Tier 4.
- Angel of Vengeance Capstone - Ascendancy - Provides +2 Charisma.
- Paladin: Knight of the Chalice, Sacred Defender Enhancement - Charisma - Provides +1 Charisma at Tier 3 and Tier 4.
- Monk: Henshin Mystic Enhancement - Charisma - Provides +1 Charisma at Tier 3 and Tier 4.
- Sorcerer: Air Savant, Earth Savant, Fire Savant, Water Savant, Sorcerer Eldritch Knight Enhancement - Charisma - Provides +1 Charisma at Tier 3 and Tier 4.
- Warlock: Enlightened Spirit Enhancement - Charisma - Provides +1 Charisma at Tier 3 and Tier 4.
- Patron Enhancements
- Harper Enhancement - Charisma - Provides +1 Charisma in Core 2 and 4.
- Racial Enhancements - Five races allow to raise the Charisma score via enhancements:
- Epic Destiny Enhancements -
- Draconic Incarnation Tier 1 - 6 Stat Increase - You can select a +1 Charisma increase at each level for 2 EDP. Maximum of +6 total.
- Fatesinger Tier 1 - 6 Stat Increase - You can select a +1 Charisma increase at each level for 2 EDP. Maximum of +6 total.
- Primal Avatar Spirit Boon - +2 primal bonus to Charisma while toggled on. Tier 5 Enhancement. Will not stack with other Primal Bonuses.
- Fatesinger Echos of the Ancestors - Provides a +1 bonus to Charisma for the Fatesinger selector.
- Exalted Angel Tier 1 - 6 Stat Increase - You can select a +1 Charisma increase at each level for 2 EDP. Maximum of +6 total.
- Divine Crusader Tier 1 - 6 Stat Increase - You can select a +1 Charisma increase at each level for 2 EDP. Maximum of +6 total.
- Unyielding Sentinel Tier 1 - 6 Stat Increase - You can select a +1 Charisma increase at each level for 2 EDP. Maximum of +6 total.
- Shiradi Champion Audience with the Queen Can provide Pleasure of the Queen for a +4 Royal Bonus to Statistics or Joy of the Queen - Love for a +10 Royal Bonus. 5 minute duration.
- Reaper Enhancements -
- Dire Thaumaturge Core Enhancement 2 adds +1 to Charisma. This stacks with all other sources.
- Dire Thaumaturge Tier 1, 2, 3, and 5 add +1 to Charisma while in a quest or raid instance on Reaper difficulty. This is a total of +4 to Charisma. It stacks with the Core 2 enhancement above and all other sources, but will not show on your character sheet until you enter a quest on Reaper difficulty.
Unless noted otherwise, bonuses within a single category do not stack.
- Enhancement Bonus
- Random Loot Items may come with the enhancement bonus of +1 - +17.
- Named Loot Items may come with the enhancement bonus of +1 - +18.
- Cannith Crafting Items may come with the enhancement bonus of +1 - +15.
- Slave Lords Crafting Items may come with an enhancement bonus of +5(heroic) or +17(Legendary) in the Prefix (Blue) Slot.
- Colorless Augment Slots can be slotted with a Charisma augment with an enhancement bonus of +1 - +8
- Exceptional bonus
- Globe of True Imperial Blood can be slotted into a Colorless Slot and provides +1 Exceptional Bonus.
- Diamond of Exceptional Charisma +1 can be slotted into a Colorless Slot and provides +1 Exceptional Bonus.
- Named Items may provide a +1 Exceptional Bonus to Charisma. Detailed List here: Category:Exceptional Charisma items
- Dragontouched Armor Tempest Runes may be slotted to provide a +1 Exceptional Bonus to Charisma.
- Legendary Green Steel items may be crafted with a +2 Exceptional bonus in Tier 3.
- Insight bonus
- Random loot may come with a +1 - +8 Insight bonus.
- Cannith Crafting items may come with a +1 - +7 Insight bonus.
- Named items
- Incredible Potential Tower of Despair crafting may add a +2 Insight Bonus to Charisma on Tower of Despair Rings.
- Legendary Green Steel items may be crafted with a +7 Insight bonus in Tier 2.
- Quality bonus
- Named items may come with a +1 - +4 Quality bonus.
- Slave Lords Crafting Items may come with a Quality bonus of +1(heroic) or +4(Legendary) in the Extra 2(Yellow) slot.
- The Devil's Handiwork Set provides a +2 Quality Bonus to Charisma.
- Epic The Devil's Handiwork Set provides a +3 Quality Bonus to Charisma.
- Artifact bonus
- Set bonuses Slave Lord's Sorcery Set provides +1 Artifact Bonus (Heroic 5 Piece Set) and +2 Artifact Bonus (Legendary 5 Piece Set)
- Alchemical bonus
- Profane bonus
- Litany of the Dead provides a +1 Profane Bonus to Charisma. -
- Epic Litany of the Dead provides a +2 Profane Bonus to Charisma. -
- Executioner's Platemail and Band of Insightful Commands provide a +1 Profane Bonus to Charisma. -
- Legendary Executioner's Platemail and Legendary Band of Insightful Commands provide a +2 Profane Bonus to Charisma. -
Bonuses from spells will not stack with bonuses of the same type from other sources
- Enhancement Bonus
- Eagle's Splendor - Provides a +4 Enhancement Bonus to Charisma
Unless otherwise noted, Temporary bonuses will not stack with bonuses of the same type from other sources.
- Guild bonus
- Alchemical bonus
- Profane bonus
- Abishai Destroyer When you consume all five Abishai Cookies, you receive a +4 Profane Bonus to Charisma for 10 minutes.
- Stacking bonuses - These bonuses are all temporary and seem to be Untyped and stack with all other sources
NOTE: This is accurate through U35
The theoretical Sustainable maximum for Charisma for a caster is 115/106 (Situational/Sustainable) in Exalted Angel/Fatesinger/Draconic Incarnation using a Drow Elf/Dragonborn Warlock or Bard 20. (Note: A Sorcerer, or Favored Soul is -2 Charisma from Max)
The theoretical Situational maximum for Charisma for a caster is 119/100 (Situational/Sustainable) in Shiradi Champion using a Drow Elf/Dragonborn Warlock or Bard 20. (Note: A Sorcerer, or Favored Soul is -2 Charisma from Max)
The Breakdown is as follows:
- 20 Base (Spend 10 build points to get max possible for Race)
- +7 Level-up
- +7 Tome
- +2 Racial Enhancement (6 AP)
- +9 Class Enhancements
- +2 Racial PL Feats for Dragonborn and Half Elf
- +2 Completionist Feat
- +1 Reaper Enhancement - Core
- +4 Epic Feat (Great Ability x4)
- +5 Twists (+3 twisted in from EDs, +1 twisted in from Epic Completionist bonus +1 Twisted in with Level 30 bonus Twist)
- +17 Item Enhancement Bonus (Item)
- +8 Insightful(Item, Random loot (Legendary Greensteel +7 max)
- +2 Exceptional(Legendary Greensteel)
- +4 Quality (Legendary Festering Mummy Wrappings)
- +2 Festive (Augment, e.g. Diamond of Spooky Charisma +2)
- +2 Artifact (Legendary Slave Lords Sorcery Set)
- +2 Guild Airship Buffs
- +4 Profane(Abishai Bonus. +2 Sustainable from Well Rounded or Litany)
- +3 Alchemical (+2Alchemical Weapon or +3 from Deneith Pot)
- +2 Competence (Bard Inspire Excellence song)
- +2 Yugoloth
- +2 DDO Store Potion
- Now pick one of two destinies - Primal Avatar for Sustainable Max. Shiradi Champion for Situational Max. You cannot be in two destinies simultaneously.
- +6 Tier 1-6 Charisma +1 Increase from Exalted Angel, Draconic Incarnation, or Fatesinger (all equal) (Sustainable) OR
- +10 Royalty (+10 from Audience with the Queen Shiradi bonus, lasts 5 minutes)(Not Sustainable)
The theoretical Sustainable maximum for Charisma for a non-Caster Character is 118/109 (Situational/Sustainable) in Divine Crusader or Unyielding Sentinel using a Dragonborn or Drow Elf Fighter 12/Bard 8.(Technically only 4 Bard levels needed)
The theoretical Situational maximum for Charisma for a non-Caster Character is 122/103 (Situational/Sustainable) in Shiradi Champion using a Deep Gnome using a Dragonborn or Drow Elf Fighter 12/Bard 8. (Technically only 4 Bard levels needed)
Note: It is assumed that the only reason to maximize Charisma on a non-caster would be because you are using Charisma as your damage modifier. As noted above, this is only available (sustainable) on Swashbuckler Bard and Purple Dragon Knight. A PDK would cost -1 Charisma. But would allow you to pair 12 Fighter with 4 levels of Paladin, Favored Soul, Cleric, or Warlock.
The only difference will be the Class & Patron Enhancements, in either case.
- +12 Class Enhancements
This yields a +3 Charisma difference from the Warlock/Bard Caster version above.