In the Belly of the Beast
House Cay'Vorym welcomes all races to its secret arenas, where captured unfortunates are used in gladiatorial fights to the death.
|Requires access to : Menace of the Underdark|
|In the Belly of the Beast|
|Takes place in:||Secret Caverns|
|Bestowed by:||Sorina Parnock|
|NPC contact:||Sorina Parnock|
|Quest acquired in:||Eveningstar|
|Patron:||Purple Dragon Knights|
|Free to Play:||No|
Sorina Parnock says the Purple Dragon Knights are being kidnapped and taken to a Drow gladiatorial pit, where they are being killed for sport. Find the Cay'Vorim Fighting Pit in the Underdark, west of Sschindylryn, free any living Knights, and put an end to the bloodsport that happens there. The Underdark can be accessed through Eveningstar Cavern.
- Gain entry to the Cay'Vorym arena
- Find a way to shut down the arena
- Defeat Sineater
- Find and reassemble the weapon shards
- Put Feryl Cay'Vorym out of everyone's misery
- Cut your way out of the worm
- (Optional) Talk your way past Pelree Cay'Vorym — no XP
- (Optional) Steal Rhitez's amulet without being detected — Bonus (10%): Epic
- (Optional) Slay Idrigozak, the Illithid high roller — Bonus (10%): Epic
- (Optional) Slay Zeslyn, the Cay'Vorym purser — Bonus (10%): Epic
- (Optional) Slay Voltane, the slavemaster — Bonus (10%): Epic
- (Optional) Bargain with Feryl Cay'Vorym for the knights' freedom — Bonus (25%): Epic
- (Optional) Slay the purple worm in less than a minute — Bonus (10%): Epic
Tips and Misc
For whatever reason, this is one of the buggiest quests in the game - there are a dozen different things that can break, some of which need to be worked around to progress the quest and some of which may require restarting.
Getting to the quest:
- In the Underdark, there is a portal at the Ruins of Riz Malag explorer point. Once this has been found, it's available as an entrance point to the Underdark from the Eveningstar Cavern. This portal is very close to the quest entrance for this quest. Just follow the right hand path upwards to the Secret Caverns.
- If you do not have the Riz Malag portal, the run there from the Drow city is not too long. Here is a video.
- To gain entrance to the main cavern, you must get past the drow wizard gatekeeper Pelree Cay'Vorym. You can try a Haggle roll, Intimidate roll, or just start a fight.
- Bug: Pelree sometimes refuses to speak with you causing you to need to restart the quest.
- In the cavern, there are four competitors with their entourages. Each will offer you a deal, though the deals are frequently mutually exclusive.
- The drider champion Rhitez offers you a reward to kill his cousin, the drow slavemaster Voltane.
- The illithid high roller Idrigozak offers you a reward to switch the amulet of the drider Rhitez.
- Getting caught switching it will force you to fight Rhitez and any alerted guards.
- This objective can be done fairly easily by anyone with Invisibility and "wings" (such as Cannith Boots of Propulsion) - go invisible, wait for Rhitez to turn his back to you, switch the amulet, and "wing" out of his room.
- Bug: The objective to switch the amulet of the drider Rhitez will sometimes fail to complete, even if you don't get caught.
- The drow slavemaster Voltane offers you a reward to kill the drow purser Zeslyn Cay'Vorym, who refused to accept his bet against his brother.
- The drow purser Zeslyn Cay'Vorym offers you a reward for killing the illithid high roller Idrigozak's party.
- Each competitor whose objective you complete and do not kill will leave you a chest at the end of the quest. You can get at most 2 competitor chests, since completing three or more of the optionals will require killing at least two of the competitors.
- Each competitor you kill or befriend before the arena is one less competitor you face in the arena. It's highly recommended to take care of the competition beforehand on higher difficulties.
- You can get the experience for all four of the optional competitor objectives, though it does limit you to only one of the chests:
- Talk to all four competitors to be given the objectives.
- Steal the amulet from the drider Rhitez.
- Slay the illithid Idrigozak, the drow slavemaster Voltane, and the drow wizard Zeslyn Cay'Vorym.
- If you avoid dropping into the pit right away, you can make your way around the stands and bargain with Feryl Cay'Vorym to spare the caged Purple Dragon Knights. A successful check (Haggle and a lot of platinum, Diplomacy, or Bluff) saves the Knights, but you'll still have to drop into the pit to continue. If you fail the check or never talk to Feryl, the knights will assist you in the pit until they perish.
- Be prepared to face a massive wave of yuan-ti, several massive waves of drow, any competitors you didn't take care of, and a special surprise - up to dozens of enemies at a time. Effective crowd control can make things vastly easier, though keep in mind almost everything has spell resistance.
- Bug: When the stands collapse, spectators can fail to become active when they fall and/or fail to fall at all. When this happens, one person Dimension Dooring and standing just outside the door to the arena area (next to Zeslyn Cay'Vorym's room, not outside the pit cage) will cause bugged spectators to become active until that person moves. The inactive spectators make themselves transparent, so they'll be very difficult to see aside from their eyes.
- Bug: The purple worms sometimes go "invisible" and can only be damaged by bows or DOT spells. Aug 24, 2016: Only DOT spells worked. April 20, 2019: Falcon Strikes Can hit and make the worm bleed to death
- If you get to a point after Feryl Cay'Vorym falls where he's walking around aimlessly with Earthcarver and the quest is not continuing, there are inactive spectators or worms that still need to be killed. You can damage Feryl, but it won't accomplish much as he'll be restored to half HP if his HP is depleted.
In the Belly:
- Acid resistance (and if necessary Protection from Energy: Acid) is recommended. The stomach acid can hit for 50+ a tic on Elite.
- If you die, be wary of taking Raise Deads - the stomach acid will immediately damage you.
- Do not leave fallen comrades soulstones behind in the belly as that person will be stuck and unable to collect the end chest(s).
- The Earthcarver Shards can be used as a dagger while you're in the belly. Once all 4 shards are collected, they combine into a greatsword.
- Aggression bonus: >124 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 17 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 22 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 27 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Chests: Up to 3
- 1 always at the end
- Up to 2 additional chests at the end, one for each competitor whose task you completed and did not kill.
- Collectables: 3
- Bones right of the stairs to the arena
- Bones in the purple worm pit (after the floor falls away)
- Bones at the end of the worm's digestive track
- NPC rewards: Choice of +16 - +19 random items
|Convince Pelree Cay'Vorym that you should enter|
|Convince Feryl Cay'Vorym to release the knights|