Game mechanics • Newbie guide • In development • DDO Store • Social Media
Challenges • Classes • Collectables • Crafting • Enhancements • Epic Destinies • Favor • Feats
Glossary • Items • Maps • Monsters • Places • Quests • Races • Reincarnation • Skills • Spells
Please create an account or log in to build a reputation and unlock more editing privileges, and then visit DDO wiki's IRC Chat/Discord if you need any help!
The Sane Asylum
|The Sane Asylum is the 2nd quest in the Reign of Madness story arcStory arcs are chains of quests that make up a story line.|
Completing everything in a story arc often yields a nice reward..
|The first three quests can be completed in any order to unlock The Lord of Eyes.|
|Acute Delirium • The Sane Asylum • The Lord of Stone • The Lord of Eyes|
Xorian creatures have captured one of the Twelve's informants and are holding him prisoner in an asylum here in the Embers District.
| Requires access to adventure pack|
|The Sane Asylum|
|Heroic XP:||♣3,110Solo/Casual ♦5,386Normal ♥5,590Hard ♠5,793Elite|
|Takes place in:||The Embers Asylum|
|Bestowed by:||Horace Neble|
|NPC contact:||Horace Neble|
|Quest acquired in:||The Tower of the Twelve|
|Purchase:||Reign of Madness or VIP|
According to Horace Neble, Xorian creatures are infiltrating the city of Stormreach. The Twelve had an informant spying on the creatures, but now the informant has been captured and is being held in an insane asylum in the Embers District.
You must find and free the informant. Travel to the Marketplace and then look for the Embers Asylum.
- Note: The quest giver is found inside The Tower of the Twelve, but the quest itself is located on the far west edge of The Marketplace.
Spoiler Warning: Spoiler material below this point!
- Speak with Durk
- Gain entry into the asylum
- Find the source of madness
- End the daydream
- Confront the nightmare
- Challenge the reality
- Defeat Nurse Ratchet
- (Optional) Find all the secret daydream passages — Bonus (12%): Heroic( ♣373 ♦646 ♥671 ♠695 )
- (Optional) Defeat The Right Eye — Bonus (12%): Heroic( ♣373 ♦646 ♥671 ♠695 )
- (Optional) Defeat The Wrong Eye — Bonus (12%): Heroic( ♣373 ♦646 ♥671 ♠695 )
- (Optional) Free the Mind Flayer by unraveling its prison — Bonus (50%): Heroic( ♣1,555 ♦2,693 ♥2,795 ♠2,897 )
What to Expect
- Collapsible floors
- Puzzle (optional: semi-random tile puzzle)
- Spawning/respawning monsters
- One fire trap that can be disarmed or avoided
Tips and Misc
- The quest entrance is located on the far western edge of The Marketplace, west of the Phoenix Tavern
- Altar of Insanity: This quest drops Brain Sample and Watcher's Eye.
- There are two ways to reach inside of the asylum – the side door involves less combat but passes a trap.
- The central "square" of the map (that has the three drop points) is a bit of a maze which changes layout as you kill the nightmare, reality, and daydream (in that order).
- There are two ways to free Fred (Yep, our beloved feat respec NPC) – either solve the puzzle or kill two beholders ('Right Eye' and 'Wrong Eye').
- Once the beholders are killed, the puzzle disappears.
- The beholders no longer disappear once the puzzle is solved.
- To get all the chests, solve the puzzle first and kill the beholders after.
- The beholders can be accessed by entering tunnels that are revealed by dropping floors when entering two of the cells after killing nightmare but before killing reality.
- Puzzle solutions:
- There are two possible puzzle variants. You can easily identify them by looking at the tile east of Fred (see pictures; the tile pattern will be either a straight line or at a right angle). For example image 'Puzzle 1 Point of view' shows the right angle patterned tile by Fred, whereas the image 'Puzzle 2 Point of view', shows the straight line pattern tile. Multiple solutions have been reported.
- Solving the puzzle is required for a chance to get the Sustaining Symbiont. After solving the puzzle, ask Fred for a reward in order to get the chest, e.g. choose the dialogue option: "You're really bad at praising, Fred. Maybe you should try rewarding, instead."
- Nurse Ratchet's special attack does more damage as her health drops (DDO Forums).
- Nurse Ratchet self-heals. Bring enough DPS.
- On elite the orderlies have many forms of crowd control, including mind blast, dominate, dancing ball and hold. Buff appropriately.
- Once Nurse Ratchet is dead, the party is teleported to the asylum reception and the asylum is locked.
- When grinding the quest for either the Shard of Xoriat or the Sustaining Symbiont, do NOT speak to Durk. You can get to both chests without actually completing this objective. Once you have looted the chests, simply recall out and reset the instance.
- Speed run: Talk to Durk. Take the trapped path, invisible. Kill Receptionist. Go to the North-west corner, kill Nightmare. Go to the South-west corner, kill Reality. Go to the North-east corner, kill Daydream. Go north, solve puzzle, and complete quest.
- Nurse Ratchet is most likely a reference to Nurse Ratched, the sadistic nurse from the novel and film One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.
- Durk says (Say): Durk the Deranged says, 'Don't let the Sane Asylum sneak up on you. It's worse than a gazebo, it is.' This is a (yet another) reference to the Deadly Gazebo.
- Aggression bonus: 43 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.( ♣311 ♦539 ♥559 ♠579 )
- Onslaught bonus: 56 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.( ♣467 ♦808 ♥839 ♠869 )
- Conquest bonus: 68 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.( ♣778 ♦1,347 ♥1,398 ♠1,448 )
- Chests: 3 or 4 (All can be had in a single run if done correctly)
- One by the optional daydream tunnel shrines
- One for solving the puzzle and asking Fred for a reward (may contain Sustaining Symbiont)
- One (appears a little down the corridor from Fred) for killing Right and Wrong Eye
- One for completing (may contain Shard of Xoriat)
- NPC rewards: Standard
Named Chest Drop
||Sustaining Symbiont (edit)||Trinket||
||15||Bound to Account on AcquireBound to Account on Acquire: This item is Bound to Account on Acquire||The Sane Asylum, Fred's chest|
||Shard of Xoriat (edit)||Trinket||
||15||Bound to Account on AcquireBound to Account on Acquire: This item is Bound to Account on Acquire||The Sane Asylum, end chest|
- Reign of Madness chain quests
- Reign of Madness quests
- Long quests
- The Embers Asylum quests
- The Tower of the Twelve quests
- The Twelve patron quests
- Pay to Play quests
- Pages sourced by DDO forums
- Quests with collectables/none
- Quests by name
- Compendium:Level 17 quests
- Level 17 quests
- Quests with 7 base favor reward
- Quests with maps
DDOwiki maintenance categories
DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories
Root > DDO game guides > Maps > Quests with maps
Root > DDO library
Root > DDO meta
Root > DDO meta > DDO Official
Root > DDOwiki meta
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Pay to Play quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by adventure pack > Reign of Madness quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by duration > Long quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by favor reward > Quests with 7 base favor reward
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by level > DDO Compendium
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by level > Level 17 quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by location > The Twelve quests > The Tower of the Twelve quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by name
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by patron > The Twelve patron quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by story arc > Reign of Madness chain quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by zone > The Embers Asylum quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > External links > Pages sourced by DDO forums