Cannith Crafting, introduced in Update 9, allows players to construct completely customized weapons, shields, armor, jewelry, and clothing. This system was introduced in a state of live beta and was changed throughout Updates 9 and 10. The beta tag was removed with Update 11. The system was overhauled in Update 32 to align it with the Update 29 random loot changes. There are currently two Crafting Halls: one in House Kundarak (near the exit to The Marketplace) and one in House Cannith (near the Cannith Challenges crafters and across the plaza from the Auctioneer and Stormreach Teleporter).
- "Disjunct" an item at the Item Deconstruction Device, stripping all effects and leaving the raw item ready to accept crafted effects.
- Craft a Minimum Level shard at a shard crafting device, which determines the minimum level of the item. This in turn determines the power level of shards applied onto the item (and also applies the basic level-appropriate bonus if weapon/armor).
- Note: Crafting a Bound shard is significantly cheaper, but creates an item that is Bound to Account; creating an Unbound shard costs significantly more in material, but allows the item to be freely traded/mailed/auctioned/etc. between characters, accounts, players - anywhere. Use a Bound crafting station for Bound shards, or an Unbound station for unbound shards.)
- Craft shards (Bound or Unbound) of the effects you want to apply to the item at a shard crafting device.
- Craft the shards onto the item at an item crafting device.
- Dust of Disjunction is used to remove enchantments from random loot, leaving you with a blank item that is keyed for crafting. Material types and Augment Slots are retained on an item after disjunction.
- Dissolvers are used to turn random loot into essences. The item itself is destroyed in the process, however you often gain some platinum in the process.
- Cannith Essences are NOT increased on weapons, unlike platinum value, which is doubled on weapons.
- Only items with an Enchantment Level (a + followed by a number in the upper right corner) will yield platinum when being dissolved. Weapons & Armor always have this; Clothing & Jewelry rarely do. However, Masterwork Craftsmanship, Augment Slots, & Feather Falling will all give Clothing & Jewelry an Enchantment Level. The higher the number, the more platinum you'll receive (generally 60 platinum/level).
- Dissolvers need to be in your character inventory or ingredient bag; deconstructing using dissolvers in the Shared Crafting Bank will not produce platinum.
- Cannith Essences are found in chests and from disjuncting random loot using Dissolvers. Essences obtained prior to Update 32 can be converted to Cannith Essences at the crafting potion vendor.
- Collectables are used in all crafting recipes that create shards which are used to put effects onto items. These collectables can be found throughout the game and can be traded or purchased through the Auction Houses. Collectables come in four different category types: Arcane, Lore, Natural, and Cultural. An Arcane device of a given level range has the chance to drop all items in that range. Backpacks/rubble piles have the chance to drop all categories of collectables for a given tier. The tier and the collectible device are the only determination on the collectables received.
- Shards are created by using Cannith Essences, collectables, Purified Eberron Dragonshard Fragments, Marks of Yugoloth, and Marks of the Silver Flame in crafting recipes.
All Cannith Crafting recipies use collectables. There are 113 cannith crafting collectables.
Any collectable can be found in an Adventurer's Pack or Rubble. Collectables of each type can be found can be additionally found in
- Arcane: Alchemy Table, Cabinet, Crude Altar, Reagents Cabinet, and Scroll rack
- Cultural: Treasure Bags (dropped by mobs)
- Lore: Bookshelf, Cabinet
- Natural: Bones, Crude Altar, Fungus, Fungus Patch, Mold, Moss, and Mushroom:
Minimum Level shards
Minimum Level shards have a crafting difficulty of their level x 10 except for ML 1, which has a crafting difficulty of level 1. Unbound Minimum Level shards have a difficulty of their level x 10 + 50.
|Shard of Minimum Level||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||10||11||12||13||14||15||16||17||18||19||20||21||22||23||24||25||26||27||28||29||30||31||32||33||34|
Each craftable item has a prefix and a suffix enchantment slot. A Mark of House Cannith can be used to add a third extra enchantment slot. Extra enchantment slots are not available on items under minimum level 10. Where you can place specific shards is the same as on randomly-generated loot. (Enhancement bonuses on weapons, shields, and armor are applied automatically by Minimum Level. No other shards are required.)
Crafting higher level items and more powerful benefits is possible once you've gained enough crafting experience. You can attempt to craft a shard even if you aren't high enough level, but there is a chance for the crafting recipe to fail, costing you the ingredients used to craft. You can craft recipes if you have at least a 1% chance of success.
- Minimum Level shards have a crafting difficulty of their level x 10 except for ML 1, which has a crafting difficulty of level 1. Unbound Minimum Level shards have a difficulty of their level x 10 + 50.
- Scaling enchantment shards have a crafting difficulty level based on the group they are in:
- There are three groups of scaling enchantment shards. Group 1 has a minimum crafting level of 1, Group 2 has a minimum crafting level of 50, and Group 3 has a minimum crafting level of 100.
- Non-Scaling enchantments like fall independently along the Cannith Crafting difficulty level curve.
- Unbound versions of these shards add +150 to their crafting level, and Insightful versions of these shards add +175 to their crafting level; shards that are both unbound plus insightful add +325 to the base level.
|Group 1||Group 2||Group 3|
| +150 Unbound
|Exclusive to Cannith Crafting||Exclusive to Random loot|
Other craftable items
- Arrows and bolts can be created with a combination of Cannith Essences and Siberys Dragonshard Fragments.
- The Device Workstation can be used to make traps, grenades, and companion collars. Cannith Essences are used in some grenades, traps, and collar recipes.
- Some Rune Arms can be crafted on. The Minimum Level, charge tier, spell, imbue, and unique enchantments of rune arms stay after disjunction, while the other benefits of the rune arms are removed. Note that the Minimum Level cannot be raised after disjunction. Rune arms can have three enchantments crafted on them, just like random loot.
- BUG: It seems that when you deconstruct a rune arm, the description shows the "Minimum Level" has become much lower, but in fact it remains the same. (See Crafting Steps)
- Runestones can be crafted with a combination of Cannith Essences and Siberys Dragonshard Fragments.
The maximum crafting level is 400. The amount of experience required to gain a level increases as levels increase. You gain experience by crafting shards and deconstructing items into essences.
Experience gained prior to Update 32 was carried over to the new system.
- Three schools at level 50 (7,305 * 3 = 21,915) → level 138 in new system
- Three schools at level 100 (35,230 * 3 = 105,690) → level 203 in new system
- Three schools at level 150 (81,905 * 3 = 245,715) → level 260 in new system
- You have bound and unbound shard options to gain crafting experience. Go back and forth between both devices, sort by experience and choose your best option.
- Once you reach 50 House Cannith Favor, Minor Crafting Experience Elixirs (10%, 30 minutes) and +10% Crafting Success Boosters are available for in-game plat.
- The Fabricators Guild Tutorial rewards you with either a Greater Crafting Experience Elixirs (75%, 30 minutes, BtA) or 5 25% Crafting Success Boosters, BtC. Since burning through even 50,000 Cannith Essences can be done within 30 minutes time, you can run the tutorial quest with just two or three of your characters and select the elixir, and the Success Boosters on the character you want to level crafting in, and pass the potions to your crafter via the shared bank. The tutorial quest can be obtained from Maker in the Kundarak Crafting Hall, Felix d'Cannith in the Marketplace, or Vertigo in the Harbor.
- Major Crafting Experience Elixirs (100%, 30 minutes), from the DDO Store are recommended if you are going for fast leveling. They are cheap, and can be obtained for the equivalent of 200 favor in DDO points.
- If you uses Major Crafting Experience Elixirs, Major Success Boosters, and wait for a DDO Bonus Day for crafting experience, it is possible to level extremely fast by making only a few bound and unbound Minimum Level Shards of each level.
With so many effects, many of them scaling from Level 1-34, plus the recipes for those, and each going into different slots (prefix, suffix, & "extra") depending on the item... well, here are some links to tables to better see, at a glance, exactly what's going on...
Costs for ML shards and expendables
- ML Shards Costs, bound & unbound in essences
- Ammunition Crafting costs (all necessary ingredients for X effect ammo)
- Runestone Crafting costs (all necessary ingredients for X effect runestone)
- Collectables by name, listed by Tier (1-6) & rarity (Simple list of items)
- Collectables by image (linked), listed by Tier (1-6), rarity, & category/source (more complex graphic)
- Collectables by use in recipes - Have some collectables and don't know what they're for?
Effects and recipes
- Effects, listed by Item & prefix/suffix/extra slot - Planning your gear, or wondering what you can put in a specific item?
- Scaling Effect Values, Lvl 1-34 - How big is an effect at ML #? What are the cutpoints?
- Scaling Effect1 Recipes, bound & unbound (all necessary ingredients for X scaling effect shard)
- Non-Scaling Effect2 Recipes, bound & unbound (all necessary ingredients for X non-scaling effect shard)
- Note: Any effect is either "scaling" or "non-scaling" - there are no effects which can be both.
- Scaling effects vary their values when placed in lower or higher Minimum Level shard items, increasing with higher ML. Examples are Fortification, False Life, or any Skill or Ability bonus.
- Non-scaling effects do not change with Minimum Level. Examples are Water Breathing, Deathblock, Keen, and any "Efficient Metamagic" effects (like Empower or Extend) that reduce the cost of using that Metamagic Effect on spells by a fixed amount.
- As of Update 32, some, if not all, randomly-generated loot can be dissolved for Cannith Essences. Some older randomly-generated loot may not be dissolvable, but can still be disjuncted (old term "deconstructed") to be used as blanks.
- Unlike original Cannith Crafting, you don't need to craft an Enhancement Bonus shard for Weapons, Shields, or Armors (including Robes, Outfit, and Docents). A scaled Enhancement Bonus is applied automatically when you apply a Minimum Level shard.
- Removing a high minimum level augment from a lower minimum level Cannith crafted item does not immediately reset item's minimum level. Putting the item into shared bank and retrieving it again (or relogging) resets the minimum level properly.
- When crafting on an item with an augment slot, after disjuncting the item, it will be listed as having a minimum level, but it appears that a lower level shard can be applied. This may be a holdover from the old crafting system when crafting on a slotted item increased the overall level of the item.
- For reference, these listed minimum levels are:
- Colorless: ML 1
- Red/Blue: ML 2
- Yellow (ML 3)
- Green (ML 5)
- Purple & Orange slots should still only be found on named items
- For reference, these listed minimum levels are:
- Dissolving an item with an augment inserted will destroy the augment as well as the item.
- Cannith Crafting Tutorial
- (Table) Enchantments by slot
- (Table) Scaling enchantments by name
- (Table) Non-scaling enchantments by name
- (Table) Enchantment scaling
- (Table) Maximum scaling
- (Table) Crafting enhancements by required items
- (Table) Craftable ammunition
- (Table) Craftable runestones
- Cannith Crafting level progression (includes section on calculating success chance)
- Cannith Crafting items in the DDO Store