The Black Loch
|The Black Loch is the 2nd quest in the Sentinels of Stormreach .|
|The first three quests can be completed in any order to unlock The Tide Turns.|
|Bargain of Blood • The Black Loch • Storm the Beaches • The Tide Turns|
The Blood Tide's ruthless attack on the Black Loch struck fear into the local inhabitants.
|Requires access to : Sentinels of Stormreach|
|The Black Loch|
|Takes place in:||The Black Loch|
|Bestowed by:||Tyn d'Deneith|
|NPC contact:||Tyn d'Deneith|
|Quest acquired in:||House Deneith|
|Free to Play:||No|
After the Blood Tide invaded the Black Loch the local residents hired House Deneith to drive the Blood Tide out.
Tyn d'Deneith is sending you to the Black Loch to deal with the problem, but she warns you that there is something unnatural about the Blood Tide invaders.
- Speak with Tyn d'Deneith
- Board the ship and slay the necromancer, Dheren Kiettuc
- Slay Dheren Kiettuc's four apprentices
- Open the door using a Green Key
- Open the door using a Red Key
- Open the door using a Blue Key
- Open the door using a Jeweled Key
- (Optional) Slay the Black Loch's Captain (rare) — Bonus (15%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Kill the failed zombie experiments - 20 total — Bonus (15%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Use the gold key to enter the vault — Bonus (15%): Heroic Epic
What to Expect
- Spawning/respawning monsters
- Spike trap just past the first shrine; control panel is on the wall to the south, in the center of the trap. The trap *can* be timed to run through, avoiding damage.
- A falling rocks trap so weak that most people don't even notice
Tips and Misc
- The four keys are each guarded by one of Dheren Kiettuc's apprentices and several zombies
- The Green Key is in the east-most passage
- The Red Key is in the south lobe of the passage north of the spike traps
- The Blue Key is in the western end of the southwest passage
- The Jeweled Key is in the eastern end of the same passage; this time, the apprentice is surrounded by living pirates, not undead ones
- With enough jump, it's possible to swim to the walkway by the ship and jump/climb up, bypassing the Blue and Jeweled Doors entirely; however, you still have to (eventually) go through them. It's a good shortcut for those wishing to simply get the Gold Key
- Due to the unique nature of the Undead in this quest, they can be manipulated with Intimidate, Bluff, and Diplomacy although it will not trigger sneak attacks.
- Despite coming across Failed Experiments earlier in the quest, you don't get the Optional to kill them until you stand on the pedestal in the Zombie Pen, in the northwest corner; the earlier Experiments don't count towards the 20.
- The Vault is in the westernmost room; the Gold Key is obtained after the fight with Dheren Kiettuc.
- The Black Loch's Captain may appear with the reinforcement guarding the Vault (very rare).
- This quest used to cause heavy lags and low frame rates even with advanced graphic cards. This was fixed with U39.
- The 3rd necromancer doesn't spawn correctly: This was fixed in U39 Patch 1.
- Mischief bonus: 17 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 22 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 27 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Notes: Aggression may only be possible on Epic
- Chests: Five with keys, 2–6 treasure chests, one epic chest
- One (shaped like a clam) under water beneath the first shrine (may be missing).
- One after killing the failed zombie experiments in the pen room.
- One per difficulty level (one for normal, two for hard, three for elite, four for epic) in the Vault
- 14 piles of gold can be gathered here as well.
- One possible in the Vault if the rare Zombie Captain appears.
- Collectables: Three
- Moss in the Zombie Pen, in front of the pedestal
- Moss just past the western shrines, on the eastern side of the tunnel
- Moss just past the blue door, on the southern side of the tunnel
- NPC rewards: Random item; choose from four
|Name ( picture • New Monster )||CR||Type||Race|
|Blood Tide Archer (hobgoblin) ( view • )||Goblinoid||Hobgoblin|
|Blood Tide Pirate ( view • )||Goblinoid||Hobgoblin|
|Blood Tide Skirmisher ( view • )||Goblinoid||Hobgoblin|
|Blood Tide Skulker ( view • )||Reptilian||Kobold|
|Blood Tide Sorcerer ( view • )||Elf||Drow Elf|
|Blood Tide Spiritcaller ( view • )||Orc||Orc|
|Dheren Kiettuc ( view • )||Humanoid||Human|
|Failed Experiment ( view • )||Undead||Zombie|
|First Mate ( view • )||Monstrous Humanoid||Minotaur|
|Human Necromancer ( view • )||Humanoid||Human|
|Karrnathi Apprentice ( view • )||Humanoid||Human|
|Zombie Captain ( view • )||Undead||Zombie|
|Zombie Marksman ( view • )||Undead||Zombie|
|Zombie Mate ( view • )||Undead||Zombie|
|Zombie Pirate ( view • )||Undead||Zombie|
|Zombie Wizard ( view • )||Undead||Zombie|
- Background on Karrnath on the Eberron Wiki page : https://eberron.fandom.com/wiki/Karrnath