Warning: The information on this page might be inaccurate due to a game update.
If you know any information on this page to be in error, please fix it by clicking thelink above.
Reason: Needs to have parameters updated due to changes in Quest.
|Requires access to : The Necropolis, Part 4|
|Epic XP:||The Mark of Death|
|Takes place in:||Hall of Ascension|
|Bestowed by:||Sir Rohine Stiedra|
|NPC contact:||Sir Rohine Stiedra|
|Quest acquired in:||The Necropolis|
|Patron:||The Silver Flame|
|Free to Play:||No|
The Black Abbot awaits his rise to godhood and only you can stop his ascension.
You and your fellow adventurers are out to stop the Black Abbot from trying to ascend to godhood.
- Complete the Litany of the Dead story arc.
- Reflagging is never required for this raid.
- Destroy the Sarcophagi granting the Abbot immortality (total: 6)
- Defeat the Black Abbot
What to Expect
- Traps (fixed, undisarmable)
- Puzzles (mandatory: 3)
- Spawning/respawning monsters
- Requires extra player(s) (mandatory)
When you enter this quest, make sure you do not move too far past the end of the bridge until all your party members have made it across. The bridge otherwise disappears and can drop them into instant-death water. When you join forces with the Abbot, he will retire from the battle when he is reduced to around 70% of his maximum HP. At this point, three dimension door portals appear for 1 minute and 28 seconds, through which party members can go into each puzzle.
Doors are up for 90 seconds with one of the following four patterns at random:
The pattern stays the same in the same round but will change after each additional Abbot beatdown.
The three puzzles are:
- Iceball Wand Room - You and a partner equip a special wand, found upon entering the room, and take turns in creating ice islands over the deadly water to progress to the other side. Each island lasts for around 15 seconds and the cooldown is about the same for the wands, so you have to alternate the creation of the islands as you go across. Try to place the islands a reasonable distance apart and not under a bolt path from the traps that are present. Each wand has 10 charges; new wands are supplied on completion where you will find a portal to return you to the main encounter area. Bug: When both parties are standing on an island and one of you is going to cast an island next, try to make sure you do not stand on or behind the player casting the island. Otherwise, being too close can cause the DDO aim mechanic to fire the wand charge in a random direction. You could fail the challenge as you have no island to progress to when the one you're standing on dissipates.
- If you have a character with high heal amplification, moderately high hit points (600+), and Silver Flame Healing Potions in your party, have them solo the room: get in the room, get the wands (if the scout didn't pick them up) to use to avoid Inferno later, go to the far right of the initial platform and use a thrown weapon to break the first sarcophagus you can just see around the first corner, then swim the other end of the water using Silver Flame Healing Potions to heal along the way. Once safely on the end platform, turn around and break the 2nd sarcophagus. Pick up the end wands and go through the portal when ready.
- Asteroid Room - When the server is lagging, it may manifest as invisible or unbreakable asteroids. Four piles of boulders stand on the ground. Pick up the boulders and equip these as your main hand weapon. You then have to use mouse look and attack to aim these throwing rocks at incoming asteroids, before they hit you for ~200 damage. If you die, you are teleported to the main chamber.
- This room prevents you from casting spells or receiving positive or negative energy healing, but does allow use of non-spell effects that give temporary hit points (such as a Greater Heroism clickie). Neither the Primal Avatar Epic Destiny ability Rejuvenation Cocoon nor Undying Vanguard (Unyielding Sentinel) can be cast in the asteroid room.
- The 200 damage can be mitigated with PRR and although spells and healing are prevented, Epic Destiny abilities such as Reign (Fatesinger) and when below 50% HP Celestial Shield from Renewal (Exalted Angel) can be used to absorb damage without the loss of so much actual HP.
- (Combat): You are hit by impending doom.
(Combat): A feeling of dread permeates the room. You cannot be healed, repaired or cast spells while in this chamber.
- The puzzle completes after a certain number (how many?) of asteroids are destroyed with Boulders. Any ranged weapon can break the asteroids but only attacks with the Boulders count toward ending the puzzle. If you don't use any Boulders the asteroids just keep coming indefinitely. With all asteroids being broken by Boulders the puzzle ends after two and a half minutes. Once this puzzle is complete two more stacks of rocks will be available and then after a few more minutes two more stacks will also be available - those with no rocks left should pick them up to break the Abbots 'Encased' effect - remember to place them on your hotbar for quick use. Once this puzzle is complete anyone who also came to this area that did not pick up rocks should do so in turn whilst waiting for the other puzzles to complete so more party members have rocks to use for Abbots encased effect.
- Alt+Z to hide the ui, and give you a bigger and better view of your surroundings and of the incoming asteroids, so you can spot them easier.
- Phasing Tile Room - This puzzle sees the person who found the Beta Phase Goggles having to guide a teammate across a series of invisible platforms that phase in/out of existence. Take your time to examine the pattern and find a good route across. Ideally you will get a pattern that will allow your partner to run across without having to "change lanes". A good technique for this is for the person on the platforms to run sideways while looking at the person with the goggles. That person only runs when there are platforms available for the runner to be able to move to. Thus you mirror each other's movements across the pattern. As there are issues with voice chat latency, it's recommended that if you need your partner to change lanes that you use visually agreed cues such as jumping to move away a lane or block to move forward a lane, and so on. Once the first person is across, they then have to equip the Alpha Phase Goggles and use those to guide the other player across his hidden platforms. Once both characters are across, portals spawn to allow you to return to the main platform to continue battle with the abbot.
- A helpful technique is to also document the maneuvers you will be doing, for example:
- 1-4 stop, 5 stop, 6-9 stop, all the way.
- This lets your partner known when to expect to move/stop as they progress across the tile pattern. You can also count the tiles as your progress across if you have voice chat.
- Update 13 made the Tile puzzle more difficult on Hard and Elite difficulties, but this change was reverted later. Currently the tiles phase at the same rate on all difficulties:
- Some static blue tiles. Phasing tiles cycle:
- 9 seconds white
- 3 seconds fading to red
- 4 seconds missing
- Some static blue tiles. Phasing tiles cycle:
After the Abbot comes back to main platform, he uses 4 special attacks at various points:
- The Inferno - (Abbot text: "I call the inferno..." and he bursts into flames) The main platform is engulfed in flames, causing massive HP and SP damage. You have about 10 seconds from when he announces Inferno and when he casts it.
- You can cast 1 island platform of ice and then jump on it and wait a few seconds before jumping back in the fighting circular stone pad; if you wait too long, the platform will disappear, making you fall in the tainted water. If someone with the inferno effect on him jumps on your ice platform, the ice will instantly melt, making everyone on it fall into tainted water. While making the ice islands, avoid the SW because if you accidentally fall into the water you'll be instakilled by an environmental effect. Another way to at least partially avoid the effects of inferno is to equip a Pale Lavender Ioun Stone when inferno is called.
- Encasement - (Abbot text: "Engulf and Encase!") The Abbot can encase party members with a tight constricting rock which squeezes the life out of them.
- Throwing boulders from the asteroid room at the encased person will free him. Sometimes the encased one can free himself if he is caught while equipping a boulder and with the animation of throwing it. If someone encased is resurrected exactly where he died, he will be instantly encased again; therefore, if you do not move away before accepting resurrection you will be doomed to die again. Tier 5 of the Divine Crusader Heavenly Presence or the tower shield Ultimatum from Defiler of the Just grants you the immunity to the encasement. Being in midair while encased may also result in being able to jump off the encasement.
- Invisible ghosts - (Abbot text: "What you can't see...") Invisible wheeps and quells lurk around, draining you of HP and SP and casting Quell.
- Mordenkainen's Disjunction - (Abbot text: "Let's see how you do without your little toys!") Casts Mordenkainen's Disjunction on a random party member, suppressing magical effects on worn weapons and items.
- Ice Room has some bullet traps on the way.
- Deadly water - Touch it and take around 150-450 hp of evil damage per tick, one tick on first touching it and every 2 seconds thereafter, even if you have undead traits. It is possible for characters with extremely high hit points, healing amp and self-healing abilities to survive a swim through it. (Clerics' Divine Intervention will not help.)
Tips and Misc
Other than being resurrected by teammates, these can be helpful to avoid wipes:
- Rise of the Phoenix (once per rest, 15-minute cooldown)
- Reborn in Light (can be used multiple times per rest after reaching 25 charges, 15-minute cooldown)
- Cursed Blade of Jack Jibbers
- Iceball Wand - Wand: Iceball (caster level 1) 10 Charges, 15-second cooldown, 14.75-second duration
- Allows you to create icebergs on the water, used to cross the Ice room, then to avoid Abbot's Inferno by casting them into the water in the main chamber as soon as the Abbot calls Inferno.
- Two are provided at the start of the puzzle. Two more are at the end, and can be respawned indefinitely by moving about near their spawn locations.
- Beta Phase Goggles: Visibility 2
- Allows the wearer to see out of phase things, platforms and invisible monsters
- One set is provided at the start of the phase tile puzzle.
- Alpha Phase Goggles: Visibility 1
- Allows the wearer to see out of phase things, platforms and invisible monsters
- One set is provided mid way through the phase tile puzzle.
- Boulders (available in stacks of 50) - Equip in weapon hand
- Allows you to destroy incoming asteroids and on successful completion of the puzzle to break Encasement cast by the Abbot in later fights; can also be thrown directly at the Abbot, dealing ~200 damage.
- Four stacks of 50 are provided at the start of the asteroids puzzle.
- Two more stacks of 50 spawn upon completion, and respawn every ~2 minutes thereafter.
* Items above are all "Drops on Leaving Adventure" and "Drops on Death"
- Chests: One Warded Chest with chance to drop Raid Loot listed below.
- NPC rewards: Random rewards, list of raid loot with a 20th completion.
Named Chest Drop
Update 12 modified the raid loot to be upgradeable and changed it in some other ways. This list shows the new items. For reference on the pre-U12 stats, see Ascension Chamber loot history. Most items in inventory that were acquired before U12 are also upgradeable, see Fountain of Necrotic Might for details.
Chance at any named loot at all is 16% on Normal, 18% on Hard, 20% on Elite per person opening the chest (rates verified in Update 13.1, before Update 13 they were 16%/20%/25%).
If you get a named item, the distribution is (verified in Update 19.1, before Update 19 they were the same except tomes were 3.75% +3 ability tomes BtC and 1.25% +3 to +4 ability tomes BtA):
- 7%: Breeze - : (1d10+5 18-20/x2), , , Telekinetic, , DEX used for ATK/DMG mods
- 7%: Circle of Hatred - Ring: — 3 Charges (Recharged/Day:3), , , Exclusive
- Upgrade: → , Charges increase to — 5 Charges (Recharged/Day:5)
- 8%: Deific Diadem - Helm: — 3 Charges (Recharged/Day:3), ,
- Upgrade: Charges increase to — 5 Charges (Recharged/Day:5)
- 7%: Enduring Conviction - : , , , requires Good alignment or UMD of 30 (no need to be Lawful)
- Upgrade: →
- 7%: Litany of the Dead - Trinket, — 3 Charges (Recharged/Day:3), Taint of Evil, Litany of the Dead - Ability Bonus, Litany of the Dead - Combat Bonus
- Upgrade: Taint of Evil is removed
- 7%: Noxious Embers - Necklace: — 3 Charges (Recharged/Day:3), , ,
- Upgrade: → , Charges increase to (5/day)
- 8%: Purging the Pantheon - Belt: , Protection +5, — 3 Charges (Recharged/Day:3), Exclusive
- Upgrade: →
- 7%: Shroud of the Abbot - Robe: , , (Inflict Light Wounds on self each time being-hit), , ,
- Upgrade: → , adds
- 8%: Vile Blasphemy - Gloves: — 1 Charges (Recharged/Day:1), ,
- Upgrade: — 1 Charges (Recharged/Day:1) → — 3 Charges (Recharged/Day:3), Gains:
- 0.5%: +2 Ability tomes (BtC)
- 2%: +2 to +3 Upgrade Ability tomes (BtC)
- 2.5%: +2 to +3 Upgrade Skill tomes (BtC)
In addition to the named loot above, each character has a 0% chance on Normal, 11% chance on Hard, or 16% on Elite to get a:
- Seal of the Black Abbot (BtA) (Drops only on Hard and Elite)
Bug: For all items with clicky charges except the Litany of the Dead and Purging the Pantheon, the altar claims the items gain more charges than they actually gain (the amount of extra charges you don't get is equal to the base amount). This is likely just a display error, but could be intended that they do gain these charges. Either way, its a bug.
|Black Abbot (view)||(Scales as of U12)||Undead||Lich|
The above was automatically compiled via DPL, 14:28:03 result from cache, age: 17:32:45 of max 1 day - if you think that's not up-to-date, (please, use sparingly, since it puts some additional load on the server)