The Chamber of Kourush
Kourush the Astrologer was Raiyum's chief advisor. When the Wizard-King passed on, Kourush was entombed to serve him in the afterlife.
|Requires access to : Demon Sands|
|The Chamber of Kourush|
|Takes place in:||Tomb of the Astrologer|
|Bestowed by:||(Wilderness area walk-up)|
|NPC contact:||Wayfinder Skavyr|
|Quest acquired in:||Sands of Menechtarun|
|Patron:||The Free Agents|
|Free to Play:||No|
When exploring the Menechtarun, you located the Tomb of the Astrologer. Legend has it that Kourush the Astrologer was murdered and buried by the Wizard-King, Raiyum, at the same time that Raiyum himself achieved lich-hood. Search the tomb for Kourush's burial chamber and the treasures it must hold.
- Explore the tomb
- Destroy Kourush the Astrologer
- (Optional) Take the Seal of the Heavens — Bonus (10%): Heroic
- (Optional) Destroy 25 Servants' Coffins (Kill 25) — Bonus (10%): Heroic
- (Optional) Destroy 10 Guardian Mummies (Kill 10) — Bonus (20%): Heroic
- (Optional) Kill Packmaster Ruuh-Ooru — Bonus (15%): Heroic
- (Optional) Kill Zheeregh the Summoner — Bonus (15%): Heroic
What to Expect
- Spawning/respawning monsters
- Randomly placed quest item (mandatory: seal)
Tips and Misc
- Mummies are prevalent; be sure to bring plenty of Remove Curse and Remove Disease potions to combat the Mummy Rot (alternatively, a Disease Immunity item will block it; however, they will still cast their Mummy's Curse which makes healing 50% less effective, so Remove Curse clickies/potions are still a good idea).
- The two western corridors mostly have hyenas and gnolls, although mummy guardians may spawn from the sarcophagi at the top of the stairs; after that, however, you're facing undead.
- There are two shrines in the quest; one is always in the center, while the other is located in one of several random locations around the eastern loop.
- The sarcophagi may contain a Guardian Mummy, which will spawn upon breaking. Note: Even after the optional is completed, you may still encounter several more.
- The coffins may similarly contain a skeleton which will spawn upon breaking. Note: Some of them are hidden in niches in the eastern corridor.
- Kourush will appear in a random location around the eastern loop; the DM will give you an audio clue ("Kourush the Astrologer rises from his slumber and shambles toward you.") when you near the one containing him, giving you a chance to avoid him if you need the second shrine or are pursuing bonuses. Also, you have to break his sarcophagus, giving you a chance to fight any mummies in the room first – just beware fighting near it!
- The potential chambers (including the one where he is) will contain several sarcophagi, which will break upon entering the room; mummies might appear from them. Note: These do NOT count towards your breakables bonus; if you want that, you will need to target the sarcophagi from outside the room and break them from a distance.
- His chest can be looted before fighting him; the Seal of the Heavens will spawn upon Kourush's demise. It's ; only one appears per party/instance of the quest but the optional XP is acquired by everyone.
- Aggression bonus: 74 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 96 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 118 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 34- or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 45 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 56 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Chests: Two
- One in the center of the map, near the first shrine
- One in Kourush's chamber
- Collectables: Five
- Adventurer's Pack in the north room
- Crude Altar halfway down the eastern passage
- Crude Altar further south
- Adventurer's Pack still further south
- Adventurer's Pack in the middle of the southern corridor
- NPC rewards: Random +3–7 item; choose from 7 or guild renown. Talk to Wayfinder Skavyr in Zawabi's Refuge for your reward.
|Name ( picture • New Monster )||CR||Type||Race|
|Entombed Slave ( view • )||Undead||Zombie|
|Eternal Hunter ( view • )||Undead||Skeleton|
|Eternal Warrior ( view • )||Undead||Skeleton|
|Eternal Wizard ( view • )||Undead||Skeleton|
|Kourush the Astrologer ( view • )||Undead||Mummy|
|Menechtarun Ghast ( view • )||Undead||Ghast|
|Menechtarun Ghoul ( view • )||Undead||Ghoul|
|Menechtarun Hyena ( view • )||Animal||Hyena|
|Mummy Guardian ( view • )||Undead||Mummy|
|Mummy ( view • )||Undead||Mummy|
|Ruuh-Ooru ( view • )||Gnoll||Gnoll|
|Windlasher Ascetic ( view • )||Gnoll||Gnoll|
|Windlasher Berserker ( view • )||Gnoll||Gnoll|
|Windlasher Evoker ( view • )||Gnoll||Gnoll|
|Windlasher Harrier ( view • )||Gnoll||Gnoll|
|Windlasher Shaman ( view • )||Gnoll||Gnoll|
|Zheeregh ( view • )||Gnoll||Gnoll|