The Shadow Crypt
|Requires access to : Necropolis Part 2|
Nerezza's resting place is a twisted game of darkness and shadow. North becomes south, East becomes West, nothing is at seems.
|The Shadow Crypt|
|Takes place in:||The Shadow Crypt|
|Bestowed by:||The Herald|
|NPC contact:||The Herald|
|Quest acquired in:||The Necropolis|
|Patron:||The Silver Flame|
|Free to Play:||No|
The Herald of the Emerald Claw requires your assistance in stopping Brother Nerezza and obtaining the Twisted Apocrypha. You must discover the treacherous path through the Shadow Crypt to defeat Brother Nerezza.
Spoiler Warning: Information below this point can be considered spoiler material!
- Acquire 2 Small Blue Gears
- Acquire 2 Small Red Gears
- Acquire 2 Small Green Gears
- Acquire 2 Small Yellow Gears
- Open the way to Nerezza
- Defeat the Shadow Council (defeat 4)
- Slay Brother Nerezza
- Acquire The Twisted Apocrypha
- (Optional) Slay Gloom (15% of base XP)
- (Optional) Slay Twilight (15% of base XP)
- (Optional) Slay Login Yapow (15% of base XP)
- (Optional) Slay Rhonita Hourd (15% of base XP)
- (Optional) Slay Callin Fornan (15% of base XP)
- (Optional) Slay Timoty Jorem (15% of base XP)
- (Optional) Slay Myriel Everborn (15% of base XP)
- (Optional) Slay Dontre Lebram (15% of base XP)
- (Optional) Slay Caligin (15% of base XP)
- (Optional) Slay Dusk (15% of base XP)
- (Optional) Slay Lurid (15% of base XP)
- (Optional) Slay Murk (15% of base XP)
- Note: All optionals are rare spawns. You will generally only encounter 6-9 per instance.
What to Expect
- Maze (random layout)
- Spawning/respawning monsters
- Randomly placed quest items (mandatory: 8 gears and optional: 4 gears)
Tips and Misc
See Instance Paths for detailed information on paths.
There are 3 known configurations to this dungeon. Depending on the configuration you get, the directions you take from each room will land you in a different room. Each room has a chest that contains a gear. Your objective here is to collect two gears per color, that is red, blue, green, and yellow. To open the "big chest" at the end you need to acquire one additional gear per color.
A simple approach to finding all the gears is to just go the same direction every time you enter a room. Eventually most of the rooms will be explored. Once you have located the gears you need, follow the banners that can be found above an entry way to the lever room. The banners are glowing see-through banners and can be hard to find on many of the entry ways.
Tip to find the Banner Room. From the starting room, take the South Exit, then the East Exit, then the West Exit, and check the room that you arrive in. If the Banner isn't in that room, dimension door back to the start and then take the East Exit three times and check that room for the banner.
Nerezza will clone himself multiple times when hurt below a certain level. You need to either hurt him fast enough so that he doesn't get to clone, or use Firewall to hurt all the clones. If you can't hurt him before he clones, and you don't have access to the Firewall spell, have all your party members focus on the original Nerezza by keeping him targeted using the Tab key. It used to be that Nerezza still remained targeted after re-appearing, but that is no longer the case. You can identify the clones by seeing how much damage they take - clones have half as many hit points as Nerezza.
Nerezza also has special DR:
- Aggression bonus: 82 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 284 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Chests: 3 guaranteed, 1 optional "big chest"
- NPC rewards: Random item
Named Chest Drop
- Cloak of Protection - Cloak: , Spell Resistance (17), (Big Chest)
- Dusk - +5 Docent: Dusk, (Big Chest)
- Devout Handwraps - +3 Handwraps: Metalline, , (Big Chest)
- Phase Hammer - +4 Maul 1.25[1d10]: , Ghost touch, Greater Incorporeal Bane, (Big Chest)
- Shards of Light - 50 +3 Arrows: Infused with Positive Energy, Returning 75% (Left End Chest, Big Chest)
- Tenebrous Stiletto - +4 Dagger 1.25[1d4]: , Ghost touch, , Hide +11,
- Witching Hour - +4 Quarterstaff 1.25[1d6]: , Ghost touch, Nullification +54, Void Lore IV, (Right End Chest, Big Chest)
- Drifting Scourges
- Drifting Scourge Mages
- Dun Butchers
- Phase Spiders
- Shrouded Terrors
- Shrouded Terror Mages
- Umbral Gargoyles
- Umbral Worgs
- Brother Nerezza - Red-named vampire; end boss
- Caligin - Optional orange-named phase spider rare
- Callin Fornan - Optional orange-named phase spider rare
- Dontre Lebram - Optional orange-named phase spider rare
- Dusk - Optional orange-named phase spider rare
- Gloom - Optional orange-named gargoyle shadow rare
- Login Yapow - Optional orange-named shadow
- Lurid - Optional orange-named worg shadow rare
- Murk - Optional orange-named worg shadow rare
- Myriel Everborn - Optional orange-named spectre rare
- Rhonita Hourd - Optional orange-named shadow
- Shadow Guard - Red-named wraith; required kill
- Shadow King - Red-named wraith; required kill
- Shadow Knight - Red-named wraith; required kill
- Shadow Lord - Red-named wraith; required kill
- Spectre of Calla - Red-named spectre; required kill
- Timoty Jorem - Optional orange-named wraith rare
- Twilight - Optional orange-named gargoyle shadow rare