The Chamber of Insanity
From DDO wiki
The Chamber of Insanity is haunted by powerful wraiths whose gibbering voices have driven strong warriors to madness.
|The Chamber of Insanity|
|Takes place in:||Chamber of Insanity|
|Bestowed by:||Kranig Stoneshield|
|NPC contact:||Kranig Stoneshield|
|Quest acquired in:||Ever Full Flagon|
|Free to Play:||Yes|
Explore the Chamber of Insanity in the Kundarak Ward.
Spoiler Warning: Information below this point can be considered spoiler material!
- Locate and destroy the Shade of Madness
- Locate and destroy the Shade of Despair
- Locate and destroy the Shade of Hatred
- Locate and destroy the Shade of Agony
- Kill the Soulless One
What to Expect
- Traps (fixed)
- Spawning/respawning monsters
- Runes (optional: require INT and WIS checks)
- The levers in the four corner rooms are each protected by a poison trap; the control boxes are to the left of the lever (as faced from the center of the room).
- The chest in the alcove is protected by a blade trap and also a spinner trap
Tips and Misc
- Be prepared for incorporeal undead enemies - there are 4 wraith minibosses, plus the end fight - bring ghost touch/ghostbane weapons, or casters who can affect incorporeal undead.
- When you pull the levers in the corner rooms, three things happen: the door behind you closes, the poison trap in the center of the room activates, and a Shade appears. If you stand around the edges of the room and pull the lever from the back, you can easily avoid the poison, which continues to burst until the shade is defeated. Slaying the shade also opens both doors, not just the one you opened to enter - and there are wights just beyond the new door.
- If you kill the necromancers quickly enough, they don't get a chance to raise the zombies.
- The runes to get to the southeast alcove chest are Intelligence and Wisdom (17 required on Elite); you need to use both of them to open the door. And then it's trapped... twice.
- For the end fight, if you fight from the ramp nearest the shrine, you can easily run back there to resurrect yourself.
- The chest in the central room is warded; you need to kill the three guards as well as the Soulless One to open it.
- This quest is actually difficult to solo, despite being listed as average difficulty. The shades are difficult to hit, and their phases of fading and reappearing just make it harder.
- Aggression bonus: 7 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 23 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 28 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Tamper bonus: 3 or more traps disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Neutralization bonus: 4 or more traps disarmed +20% Bonus.
- Ingenious Debilitation bonus: 5 or more traps disarmed +30% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 14 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 19 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 23 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Chests: 2
- 1 trapped in a rune sealed alcove in the southeast corner
- 1 at the end for killing the Soulless One (Spectre)
- Collectables: Five
- Cabinet in the north corridor, just outside the northwest room
- Adventurer's Pack in the eastern corridor, across from the shrine
- Adventurer's Pack in the northeast corner of the southeast room
- Alchemy Table in the south corridor, along the southern wall in the central area
- Mushroom in the south corridor, in the southwest corner of the central area
- NPC rewards: Random
|Soulless One (view)||Undead||Spectre|
|Shade of Agony (view)||Undead||Wraith|
|Shade of Despair (view)||Undead||Wraith|
|Shade of Hatred (view)||Undead||Wraith|
|Shade of Madness (view)||Undead||Wraith|
|Arcane Skeleton (view)||Undead||Skeleton|
|Armored Wight (view)||Undead||Wight|
|Dwarf Zombie (view)||QL?:QL3:||Undead||Zombie|
|Elf Necromancer (view)||Elf||Elf|
|Elf Zombie (view)||QL:1; QL:2/3:||Undead||Zombie|
|Halfling Zombie (view)||Undead||Zombie|
|Human Necromancer (view)||Humanoid||Human|
|Wight Priest (view)||Undead||Wight|
|Wight (view)||QL2:; QL3:||Undead||Wight|
|Zombie (view)||QL1:; QL2/QL3:||Undead||Zombie|