Prove Your Worth
Warning: The information on this page might be inaccurate due to a game update.
If you know any information on this page to be in error, please fix it by clicking thelink above.
Reason: Needs to have parameters updated due to changes in Quest.
The Captain of the Ill Fate has constructed a series of trials that will challenge the most ardent adventurer.
|Requires access to : Three-Barrel Cove|
|Prove Your Worth|
|Epic XP:||Prove Your Worth (Epic)|
|Takes place in:||Rackam's Trial|
|Bestowed by:||Dirty Vingus|
|NPC contact:||Dirty Vingus|
|Quest acquired in:||Three-Barrel Cove|
|Patron:||The Free Agents|
|Free to Play:||No|
Dirty Vingus, the Captain of the Sterling Chance, wants you to gather information about a rival crew. Rackam is the Orc captain of the Ill Fate, notorious for having the best crew around. Vingus attributes this to the deadly obstacle course known as Rackam's Trial. Filled with insidious traps and dried bones of would-be pirates, it is a standing testament to the captain's madness. Find this trial in the ruins near the wreckage of the Lady Luck, down the cliffside road out of camp. After you complete the trial, report your findings back to Vingus.
- Speak with Rackam
- Survive the skirmish (4 iron defenders)
- Navigate the Agility Trial
- Survive the ambush (4 warforged deckhands)
- Maneuver down the Descent
- Solve Rackam's Conundrum
- Navigate through the Inferno
- Speak with Penzants
- Make your choice
- Survive Rackam's Trial
- (Optional) Escape Rackam's Trial +35% Bonus.
What to Expect
- Traps (fixed)
- Spawning/respawning monsters
- Puzzle (mandatory: tile and lever puzzles)
- Blade traps (down the sides) and spike traps (along the top) of the corridor south of the entrance; the spikes advance sequentially, allowing one to run along the top safely. The control panel is on the ledge at the start, and disables 2 rows of spikes.
- Fire traps in the northwest room; control panel is in the southeast corner, on the eastern wall on the upper lever; doesn't turn off all the traps.
- Fire traps around the chest in the center of the Inferno room; control panels on the floor to the north and south
- Dart traps before the second lever in the Inferno room; control panel is in the northwest corner, on the west wall
- Fire trap in the corridor past the Inferno room, coming out of the hole with the ladder; control panel is on the north wall just before it. There's no need to go down the ladder.
- Blade traps (along the side) and fire traps (at the top) along the last corridor; control panel is on the ledge just before them. As with the spikes, the fire traps are "walked" sequentially.
Tips and Misc
- After getting past the first traps, make sure your whole party is through the door before advancing; the door will close behind you and walls will open, revealing several iron defenders.
- Agility Trial & Manoeuvre down the Descent: Use Feather Falling to help you jump between ladders (and, at the very least, keep you from going splat), and just float down the Descent. While climbing up the Agility Trial, it may be helpful to change your angle of view so you're looking down. Alternatively, try hitting "T" to go into Mouse Look mode and center the dot on the ladder you want to jump to.
- If one or more of your party is unable to make the Ascent, it may be possible to skip it - as long as one person can do it, survive the deckhand ambush, and get down. The gate between Rackam's Conundrum and the west end of the hallway from the iron defender ambush can be opened from the Conundrum side. Beware the fire traps near the gate (by the skull-and-crossbones painted on the wall). These fire jets are disabled with a lever, reachable from the ambush side by crossing the deck above them after the gate is opened.
- A trick to navigate the ladders
- Put your camera into 1st person mode.
- Climb the ladders almost to the top.
- Rotate your camera so you face the ladder you want to transfer to.
- When you do this, using the "down" or "backward" key (default S) will make you climb the rest of the way up the ladder, until you reach the point where you hit the top, do the "get onto the platform" animation, then fall off of the ladder you're on.
- Your camera will still face the ladder you're looking to grab onto.
- Drift toward the ladder and you should be able to grab it almost immediately.
- The second section of sewer after the agility trial contains a deckhand ambush.
- Rackam's Conundrum:
- 0 - Rotate the puzzle tiles so that:
- North and southwest puzzle: south and east tiles are lit
- Southeast puzzle: north and west tiles are lit
- 1 - Click the north lever on the rug.
- 2 - Pull the red gem lever.
- 3 - Reset by pulling the green lever.
- 4 - Click the south lever on the rug.
- Positions of the circles all stay the same.
- 5 - Finally, pull the red gem lever again.
- If you make a mistake, Iron Defenders will spawn from the small doorway to the south.
- 0 - Rotate the puzzle tiles so that:
- Old Iron Sides will appear behind you as you get near the end of the corridor past the Conundrum.
- Navigate through the Inferno: Fire traps are visible (hence not labeled on the map). Watch out for the dart traps near the switch!
- It's actually possible, with a moderate jump (15 was successful), to jump from the barrels in the north room to the upper ledge and pull the lever on the eastern wall (next to the dart traps) to open the door, and skip the fire traps entirely.
- Use the shrines before continuing; down the northern corridor is a point of no return (without a Jump of 16, at least).
- Speak with Penzants: If you answer a question wrong, you'll be fighting (3-5 Deckhands will appear from the doors); you can heal/buff up between waves if you wish to fight.
- "Run fer the loot as quick as ye can"
- "The local tavern o'course"
- "Double the share of the crew"
- (doesn't matter, as you will be swashbuckling anyway)
- "Make Meeble walk the plank"
- If you make Meeble walk the plank, the quest is completed.
- Fezzik will attack if you free Meeble; he may attack even if you don't, though this is far from guaranteed. BUG: If you free Meeble before the Fezzik disappears, instead of opening the doors will slam shut, blocking you from succeeding in the quest.
- Since you need Fezzik's key to continue and get the Escape Rackam's Trial optional bonus (or do that last trap, if you failed one or more of the others and want to improve your Traps bonus), it's MUCH better to free Meeble, unless your party is nearly dead and you're worried you won't survive. It's an extremely simple fight, however; other than Fezzik (somewhat tougher than any other opponent in the quest, including Old Iron Sides, but not much) only 3-4 Deckhands spawn.
- Aggression bonus: 21 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 27 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 33 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Tamper bonus: 4 or more traps disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Neutralization bonus: 5 or more traps disarmed +20% Bonus.
- Ingenious Debilitation bonus: 6 or more traps disarmed +30% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 135 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 175 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 216 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Chests: Three
- One behind a hidden door in the southeast corner of the southeast square
- One in the center of the fire room (locked, the only way to unlock it is to disable the traps around it)
- One in the tunnel past the Inferno, after the drop down
- Collectables: Eight
- Adventurer's Pack past the blades south of the entrance, on the east side
- Adventurer's Pack on the upper ledge east of the skirmish
- Cabinet in the northeast corner of the southeast square, past the explosive barrels
- Mushroom in one of the Deckhand Ambush alcoves
- Moss in another of the alcoves
- Rubble on an upper ledge in the northwest corner of the Conundrum
- Adventurer's Pack on the lower level in the fire room, past some crates along the west wall
- Adventurer's Pack in the northern corridor
- NPC rewards: Random
|Old Iron Sides (view)||Construct||Iron Defender|
|Boatswain (Kobold) (view)||3||Reptilian||Kobold|
|Deckhand (Warforged) (view)||Living Construct||Warforged|
|Iron Defender (view)||QL3:QL5:||Construct||Iron Defender|
|Scurvy Dog (view)||Animal||Dog|
|Warforged Hunter (view)||Living Construct||Warforged|