Game mechanics • Newbie guide • In development • DDO Store • Social Media
Challenges • Classes • Collectables • Crafting • Enhancements • Epic Destinies • Favor • Feats
Glossary • Items • Maps • Monsters • Places • Quests • Races • Reincarnation • Skills • Spells
Please create an account or log in to build a reputation and unlock more editing privileges, and then visit DDO wiki's IRC Chat/Discord if you need any help!
Characters carry items in their inventory, or pack. Items carried are shown in tabs that separate the inventory into blocks of 20 slots. Each character also has 16 equipment slots for items that are currently being wielded or worn. For carried items that are not currently being worn, there is no practical difference which tab holds an item, it's all one inventory. By default the inventory screen is displayed by pressing i.
Once all slots are filled*, a character will not be able to loot chests of additional items or accept trades from other players. In order to do so, something must be discarded, traded away, sold to a vendor, dropped in the mail (possibly to a different character in your account), or placed in the bank to free up an open slot.
- * Note that occasionally, newly acquired items will not stack with similar items, especially after trades or moving items from the Bank. Make sure you do not have 2 small stacks of similar items!
Since Update 7 it is possible to view inventory as a list with sorting and search functions.
Characters are limited in how many items they can carry by the number of inventory tabs that the character has access to:
- 3 tabs are unlocked for new characters when they start (60 slots) plus 16 dedicated equipment slots.
- 2 additional tabs can obtained in-game after achieving favor with The Coin Lords faction.
- The first tab is free once 75 favor is achieved.
- The second tab is available at 150 favor but must be purchased fromRyo Silverbrow with gold and a Collapsed Portable Hole or with Astral Shards.
- 3 extra tabs can be purchased* from the DDO Store at any time, separately for each character.
- * Purchased tabs are preserved when the character undergoes reincarnation.
- If your character purchases more tabs that can be applied, you may receive a BtA consumable that you can transfer to a different character via shared bank
Some small items, such as scrolls, arrows, gems, collectables and so forth, stack if the items are identical, allowing multiple of the same item to take up only 1 slot. Bags can also hold large numbers of different gems and/or collectibles in only 1 slot. The total number of small items in one slot can differ depending on the bag and/or item being stacked. Items can be dragged from one inventory tab to another. To split a stack, hold down Ctrl while dragging the stack to a different inventory slot.
Currency does not take up inventory, although there is a limit as to how much a character may carry.
Strength is also a consideration that affects the carrying capacity of a character, however this places penalties on in-quest action rather than limiting the number of available inventory slots. For purposes of carrying capacity, different items have different weights, so freeing up 1 slot by removing an item is not necessarily the same as freeing another.
- The starting 3 tabs and any tabs purchased from the DDO store (up to 3) persist across all forms of reincarnation.
- Any tabs obtained from Coin Lords favor are lost when the character undergoes a True Reincarnation, Racial Reincarnation or Iconic Reincarnation.
If you're running lifes for reincarnating purposes, it is probably not worth purchasing the second tab from Ryo Silverbrow with Astral Shards.
- Each Astral Shard costs maximum 7.5 DDO Points (or less when buying bigger amounts).
- 6 Astral Shards costs maximum 45 DDO Points.
- Inventory tabs in the DDO Store cost 595 DDO Points (and are frequently discounted by 25%).
On a longer perspective, if you cannot handle a life with only four tabs, you might want to buy an additional one from the DDO store.
The controls on the right side of the inventory screen allow you to access additional features:
- First two tabs allow switching between tabbed view and searchable list view
- Third tab allows you to access your creature companions
- Fourth tab allows you to access your mounts
- Augment Item: Open the augment item window
- Sentience: Open Sentient Weapon upgrade window
- Repair your equipment for Astral Shards
- Show/hide your weapon details