In DDO, characters can gain 20 class levels. These are called Heroic levels.
Update 29 introduced a third tier, Legendary, for levels 31+; however, this term applied only to game content (quests/adventure areas), not to player characters, until the Isle of Dread expansion increased the level cap to 32.
What are Epic levels?
Epic levels are a generic class in itself. You no longer gain Heroic levels in any class, but find a new class, "Epic," in your character sheet. While some game mechanics and player conversation may describe you, for instance, as a "Level 21 Wizard," in reality, the game sees you as a Level 20 Wizard with 1 Epic level. This also applies to multiclassed characters.
When you accumulate enough experience, take your epic levels by talking to a Fatespinner (epic trainer).
|21||+10||-||+1||Epic Feat||ED Tier 1-2||600,000|
|22||+10||+1||-||Epic Destiny feat||-||1,250,000|
|23||+10||-||+1||-||ED Tier 3, ED Core 2||1,950,000|
|24||+10||+1||-||Epic Feat||Ability increase||2,700,000|
|25||+10||-||+1||Epic Destiny feat||-||3,500,000|
|26||+10||+1||-||-||ED Tier 4, ED Core 3||4,350,000|
|28||+10||+1||-||Epic Destiny feat||Ability increase||6,200,000|
|30||+10||+1||-||Epic Feat, Legendary feat||ED Tier 5||8,250,000|
|31+||see Legendary levels|
- Epic Feats: Characters that are level 21 or higher may select Epic Feats or Heroic Feats as their level 21/24/27/30 feat selections.
- Epic Skills is a special feat automatically granted at each Epic level, giving +1 to all skills.
- Epic Power is a special feat automatically granted at each Epic level, giving +6 Melee and Ranged Power, +6 Universal Spell Power, and -1% to the Spell Point cost of all spells.
- Epic Knowledge is a special feat automatically granted at every second Epic level starting with level 22, giving +1 caster level and +1 maximum caster level with all spells (for a total of +5 to all casting classes at level 30).
- Epic Destiny Feats granted at levels 22/25/28 are a separate list from the Epic Feats and Heroic Feats.
- There's no spell point progress nor caster level progress, however some Epic Destinies have such benefits.
- Each epic level grants your summons, pets and hirelings: +5 Melee and Ranged Power, +10 Universal Spell Power, +5 PRR and +5 MRR. This does not appear on the character sheet, but does show on the summoned creature's inspection panel as Epic Summons.
Epic levels versus Epic Destinies
After taking your 20th level for the first time, visit the Fatespinner to claim the destinies and gain a few free fate points.