Warning: The information on this page might be inaccurate due to a game update.
If you know any information on this page to be in error, please fix it by clicking thelink above.
Reason: Needs to have parameters updated due to changes in Quest.
Until now, the lush jungles of Xen'drik have hidden the aggression of the giants. Repel the invading force before it can press ahead to Stormreach!
|Takes place in:||Stormcleave Outpost|
|Bestowed by:||Alciana d'Deneith|
|NPC contact:||Alciana d'Deneith|
|Quest acquired in:||Anvilfire Inn|
|Free to Play:||Yes|
Alciana d'Deneith recruited you to join the defenders of Stormcleave Outpost, a House Deneith fortress under heavy siege by the Xen'drik giants and their minions. Speak with Alciana to arrange transport to Stormcleave. Then sally forth from the outpost and find a way to break the back of the invading army!
- Stormcleave Outpost is an outlying fortification built upon an ancient giantish ruin discovered and claimed by House Deneith. The outpost serves as a supply depot for House Deneith's expeditions in Xen'drik, but has been under heavy attack for weeks by the army of a fire giant named General Xanti'lar.
- You can reach Stormcleave Outpost by speaking with Alciana d'Deneith in Anvil Fire Inn. Once there, you are to report to the outpost commander for a full briefing on the situation, and to provide relief in any way you can.
- The first part of the quest resembles (but not exactly) an outdoor zone, with various groups of scorpions, wolves, trolls, minotaurs, and ogres to slay. The larger fortress in the inner part of the area is concerned with the primary goal of the quest.
- Find and speak with the gate warden
- Kill 25 of Xanti'lar's minions
- Kill the giant Ortadar
- Collect the Jurmo'ta Shard
- Kill the giant Insgadreer
- Collect the Wul'ta Shard
- Kill the giant Pious Grew'el
- Collect the Vilbu'ta Shard
- Kill Minotaur Lord Helos
- Collect the Elsb'ta Shard
- Activate the rune pillars (Activate 6)
- Activate the gateway to Xanti'lar's Lair
- Kill General Xanti'lar
- Inform the outpost commander of your success. (This completes the quest)
- (Optional) Kill the minotaur Onyxhorn +5% Bonus.
- (Optional) Kill the minotaur Gorehoof +5% Bonus.
- (Optional) Kill the giant Ulagash +5% Bonus.
- (Optional) Kill the troll Nuushmaar +5% Bonus.
- (Optional) Destroy six crates full of magefire cannon parts +5% Bonus.
- (Optional) Collect the pilfered outpost supplies - Collect 12 +20% Bonus.
- (Optional) Return the outpost supplies to Corporal Delvascon - Return 12 +10% Bonus.
- (Optional) Destroy the giants' dimensional gate +10% Bonus.
- (Optional) Further cull Xanti'lar's army - Kill 40 +20% Bonus.
- (Optional) Defeat the giant's raiding force - Kill 18 +10% Bonus.
What to Expect
- Spawning/respawning monsters
- Rune (optional, requires an 18+ INT check)
- Quest item collection (mandatory: 4 shards and optional: 12 supply crates)
Tips and Misc
- WARNING: Do not turn around and walk back up the path facing opposite from the starting area or you will be auto-booted out of the quest!
- Fight your way through the encounters to make your way to the outpost. Standing near a warded gate into the fortress ruins itself stands the gate warden. After talking with him, he will release the ward, allowing your party to pass freely.
- There are no respawns in this quest, just a huge amount of encounters. You'll encounter a few spawning monsters after you activate the rune pillars, during the Pious Grew'el battle, and at the end if you do the gate optional.
- You will have to cover very long distances so have Striding items or Haste potions and spells at hand.
- Scattered around the fortress ruins are 6 large rune pillars (not those around the giant head in the amphitheater). Activating the puzzle piece on their bottom will spawn two fire mephits in succession (Who frees me from this seal? My brethren will not allow this defilement!). Slaying both of the mephits activates the pillar fully (My death frees the seal and lights the way to Xanti'lar.). Once all 6 pillars have been activated, the way to Xanti'lar's lair is open.
- In a central area of the fortress ruins stands a ruined amphitheater, with a large stone head near the front, and 6 "indicator" pillars adorned with runes around it (not those scattered around the fortress). These runes correspond to the ones on the rune pillars you must activate. Once all 6 rune pillars have been activated (and their corresponding mephits killed - leaving mephits alive will cause the optional to not be completed), using the stone head lights the runes around the indicator pillars and opens a portal to Xanti'lar's chamber.
- Located in Northwest corner of map and southeast of the shrines near that corner.
- Note that once you cross the portal into Xanti'lar's Lair, you cannot exit until Xanti'lar is slain.
- Xanti'lar's Lair does not contain any rest or resurrection shrines.
- Xanti'lar is essentially invulnerable until one or more of his buffs are removed. Note: Power creep has made this no longer true. Xanti'lar can be killed at level on Elite, solo, without killing any of the mephits or the earth elemental. 7/21/2016
- To remove the buffs, you must kill the captured mephits and/or earth elemental that is bestowing the boss with the buffs. Killing the earth elemental will remove the boss's protection from physical damage, which is usually sufficient for taking the boss out.
- The Shards (collected earlier in the quest) open the barriers to the mephits/elemental buffing the General; simply walk up to them with the shards in your inventory. Check General Xanti'lar's page for details on the non-standard buffs.
- The Elsb'ta Shard gives access to the Greater Earth Elemental bestowing Stoneskin.
- The Wul'ta Shard gives access to the Mephits of Fernia bestowing Regeneration.
- The Jurmo'ta Shard gives access to the Mephits of Lamannia bestowing Fire Shield (Fire version).
- The Vilbu'ta Shard gives access to the Mephits of Risia bestowing Spell Resistance.
- The supply crates are extremely heavy (75 pounds each) so ideally have a character with high (20+) strength carry these to avoid being slowed down.
- You do not need to keep the supply crates to satisfy the "Collect the pilfered supplies" optional. You can pick them up and then immediately destroy them, if you do not wish to overburden yourself and don't intend to complete the "Return the outpost supplies" optional.
- To get the Giant's Raiding Force, talk to Sergeant Katani d'Deneith, in the outpost proper. She'll give you a brief history lesson on Stormcleave Outpost if you wish, but if you ask about the gate, the fight will start, which is composed of several waves of 2-3 minotaurs, trolls, or giants.
- Onyxhorn or Ulagash (but not both) may be found in the first cave.
- Gorehoof or Nuushmaar (but not both) may be found in the second cave.
- Discreet bonus: 49 or fewer monsters killed +5% Bonus.
- Aggression bonus: 119 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 173 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 212 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 6 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 15 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 19
- Note: 232 total monsters in this quest, but it's a rather massive quest so getting conquest can be very time consuming. or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Chests: 7 - 9
- 1 optional for killing Ulagash/Onyxhorn (Giant/Minotaur, they don't always spawn, mutually exclusive, found in the first cave, before the first shrine)
- 1 for killing Ortadar (Fire Giant)
- 1 locked chest past the magefire cannon crates, near a tent (Lock DC)
- 1 for killing Insgadreer (Hill Giant)
- 1 locked chest at a giant's camp just past Insgadreer (Lock DC)
- 1 optional for killing Nuushmaar/Gorehoof (Troll/Minotaur, they don't always spawn, mutually exclusive, found in the second cave, before Pious Grew'el)
- 1 for killing Pious Grew'el (Fire Giant)
- 1 for killing Lord Helos (Minotaur)
- 1 at the end for killing General Xanti'lar (Fire Giant)
- NPC rewards: Standard, Up to ML:7, Choose from 10
Named Chest Drop
Accessories are ML7, weapons and armor are ML6.
- Elven Chain - Chainmail: , , (Gorehoof)
- Essence of the Scout - +4 Docent: Silent moves, (Ortadar)
- Giant's Roar - +3 Longbow: , , (Xantilar)
- Helm of the Flame - Helm: , , (Insgadreer)
- Iron Cleaver - +3 Battleaxe: , (Ulagash)
- Lesser Boots of Striding and Springing - Boots: , , (Helos)
- Nuushmaar's Adamantine Tooth - +3 Rapier 1.50[1d6]: ,
- Onyxhorn - +3 Dagger 1.50[1d4]: , (Onyxhorn's chest)
- Robe of Winter - Robe: , , (Pious Grew'el's chest)