Spell points are the amount of magical energy your character has to expend on spells before the character needs to rest. As Hit Points are to a character's feature to stay alive, spell points are to a character's feature to cast spells.
The amount of spell points a spell consumes upon being cast is dependent on the level of the spell. The base cost is 10 spell points for a level 1 spell. For every level beyond 1, a spell costs an additional 5 spell points to cast. A level 2 spell would then cost 15 spell points to cast, a level 3 spell would cost 20, and so on (see table below). Many spell point costs were altered in Update 9 and no longer conform to the spell point cost "standards". There is currently a list of Spells With Non-Standard Costs.
|SP cost per cast||10||15||20||25||30||35||40||45||50|
Bonus spell points describes the ability which are used to increase bonus spell points(by (caster level + 9)*casting ability modifier). A multiclass character that uses different abilities earns spell points for each ability modifier, however if you use the same ability the class levels are added[ ].
| Casting ability /
Bonus spell points
|INT||CHA||WIS||WIS||WIS / CHA||WIS||WIS||CHA||INT||CHA|
Base spell points per class
|Level||Artificer||Bard||Cleric||Druid||Favored Soul||Paladin||Ranger||Sorcerer||Wizard||Warlock||Mental Toughness||Improved Mental Toughness|
Note that Artificers, Clerics, Druids, Favored Souls, Sorcerers, Warlocks, and Wizards receive the Magical Training feat at level 1. This feat grants 80 additional spell points (NOT included in the Base SP numbers, but listed as an addendum in the table), and can be taken only once per character. This means for instance that a Bard who multiclasses in Sorcerer will get +100 Base spell points and +80 Feat Bonus for a net total of +180 SP. But, a Cleric who multiclasses in a Sorcerer already has Magical Training and will only get +100 Base SP instead of +180.
Bonus spell points
Your casting ability grants you a number of bonus spell points equal to (caster level + 9) * (casting ability modifier). The table below directly gives the number of bonus spell points for any caster level up to 20 and casting ability up to 41.
Any casting ability bonus can contribute to your bonus spell points pool including enhancements, items, and temporary buffs. Note however that these bonuses increase your maximum total of spell points, but do not actually give you spell points. SP still need to be obtained by resting in non-encounter areas (which will remove temporary buffs), from Divine vitality being cast on you, or by drinking an elixir of mnemonic enhancement.
Note also that in the case of a multiclass character, the bonus spell points are added independently for each class; for instance a level 1 bard / level 1 sorcerer with 18 Cha will obtain 80 bonus spell points, instead of 44 for a L2 bard or sorcerer. In addition, these bonus spell points are obtained even for classes whose level would not normally be high enough to cast spells; for instance, a level 9 Cleric / level 1 Paladin with 20 Wis would gain (9+1)*5 (i.e. 50) bonus spell points from the single Paladin level.
|Level||Casting ability score (and modifier)|
Reducing spell point costs
Many powerful spells are very expensive in terms of spell point cost, particularly if combined with several metamagic feats. Fortunately, the game offers multiple ways to reduce SP costs.
- Spell-like ability: Many class enhancement trees offer SLAs that are cheaper to cast than normal spells. More importantly, most SLAs can be augmented by metamagic feats for free.
- Magical Efficiency: This powerful passive ability reduces the spell point cost of your spells by a percentage, often 5% or 10% (Enhancement bonus).
- Efficient Metamagic: Items and class enhancements that reduce the cost of metamagic feats.
- Spell Song Trance is a song available to Spellsinger bards and reduces spell point cost by 10% (Morale bonus).
- Turn the Page items: Litany of the Dead, Epic Litany of the Dead
- Lesser <metamagic> items: Lesser Heighten, Lesser Maximize
- Epic destinies
- Arcane Adept available in the Magister destiny: 10% (Enhancement bonus)
- Fragment of the Song: Clarity available in the Fatesinger destiny: 10% (5% Competence bonus and 5% Morale bonus)
- Reborn in Light available in the Exalted Angel destiny: 50% (situational)
- Epic Power reduces the spell point costs by 1% for each time the feat is taken. This feat is automatically given to all characters each time they gain an Epic level, so it reduces to spell point costs up to 10% at character level 30. This is not provided for SLAs.
There are many ways to recover spell points.
- Resting at a Rest Shrine
- Ethereal Rest Shrine Statuettes can be purchased from the DDO Store or by turning in a Large Eberron Dragonshard Fragment. Note that the shrine is Bound to Character, but the Eberron Dragonshard Fragments are not bound and can be traded, purchased on the Auction House, etc.
- Rest of the Eladrin Statuette from the DDO Store or from turning in 3 Small Eberron Dragonshard Fragments.
- Waiting in a public area (Inn or around town) regenerates 1 HP + 5 SP per 6 seconds, or 4 HP + 10 SP if you have the Blessing of the Silver Flame permanent favor reward effect. More if you are inside an Inn and drink a beverage.
- Draught of Sparkling Apple Cider from turning in 1 Commendation: Villagers of Eveningstar restores 120 (approx) Spell Points over 20 seconds
- Mnemonic Elixirs can be found in chests, picked as quest end rewards, traded, purchased on the Auction House, or purchased on the DDO Store.
- Shard Trinket of Mnemonic Enhancement from turning in 3 Medium Eberron Dragonshard Fragments.
- Essence of Cunning potions regenerate 1 SP per 6 seconds for 15 minutes for a total of 150 SP over time and can be purchased in Amrath for about 1000 pp each if you attain 75 favor with The Yugoloth.
- Festivult Silver Coin turn-ins include Dal Quor, the Region of Dreams Jelly Cakes, which disease the consumer and regen SP over time.
- Xachosian Larvae from Xachosian Eardweller disease the consumer and regenerate SP over time.
- Archivist's Necklace from Korthos has 2 charges per day of Minor Mnemonic Aid which restores 10 to 35 SP.
- Ring of Spell Storing from General Tanankh's chest in the Sands of Menechtarun has 3 charges per day of Spell Store which restores 25 SP.
- Epic Ring of Spell Storing has 3 charges per day of Major Mnemonic Aid which restores 105 to 600 SP.
- Mysterious Bauble from The Weapons Shipment in Amrath has 1 charge per day of Major Mnemonic Aid which restores 105 to 600 SP.
- Vile Blasphemy from the Ascension Chamber raid in the Upper Necropolis has 3 charges per day of Power Drain (clicky) which restores 2d6 SP every 6 seconds for 66 seconds.
- Twisted Talisman from The Last Stand in The Red Fens has 3 charges of Blood Sacrifice which restores 50 SP in exchange for 25 HP. These charges recharge 1/day.
- Epic Twisted Talisman has 5 charges per day of Blood Sacrifice.
- Greensteel items can be crafted with the Concordant Opposition property that give a 4% chance to gain 30 SP each time the wearer is damaged in battle.
- Halcyon Boots have a 5% chance to grant 15 temporary spell points when the wearer is damaged in battle.
- Torc of Prince Raiyum-de II from the Zawabi's Revenge raid has the Transform Kinetic Energy property that gives about a 5% chance to gain about 20 SP each time the wearer is damaged in battle.
- Toven's Hammer has the Transform Kinetic Energy property
- Class/Race abilities
- Artificers can grant temporary spell points using Palliative Admixture.
- Bards with the Spellsinger II enhancement can sing the Spellsong Vigor song on themselves or party members to return 2 SP every 2 seconds for the length of the song.
- Bards with the Spellsinger II enhancement have a percent chance equal to their Perform skill that each song will also do a Spellsong Burst that returns 19-25 SP to every party member near the bard.
- Clerics can use the Divine Vitality enhancement only on other party members to return some SP to them.
- Echoes of Power ensures that no caster can truly run out of spell points.
- Fey Energy Tap