Inferno of the Damned (epic)
|Requires access to : The Necropolis, Part 4|
|Inferno of the Damned|
|Heroic XP:||See Inferno of the Damned|
|Takes place in:||Inferno of the Damned|
|Bestowed by:||Tengir Greathall|
|NPC contact:||Tengir Greathall|
|Quest acquired in:||The Necropolis|
|Patron:||The Silver Flame|
|Free to Play:||No|
Tengir has heard of an abandoned temple in the heavily forested Northeast region of the Orchard of the Macabre. Several cultists of the Black Abbot were spotted entering the ruins, and Lineya is curious as to what its importance is. She would like you to scout it out and return with a report of what you found. This dungeon takes place in Eberron, and in a near mirror of itself in the Inferno of the Damned. (The Inferno is a hell type of realm.)
- Explore the Inferno of the Damned
- Find the North Flame Guardian
- Light the North torches
- Defeat the North Flame Guardian
- (Inferno) Find the North Flame Guardian
- (Inferno) Extinguish the North flames
- (Inferno) Defeat the North Flame Cinderspawn
- Find the East Flame Guardian
- Light the East torches
- Defeat the East Flame Guardian
- (Inferno) Find the East Flame Guardian
- (Inferno) Extinguish the East Torches
- (Inferno) Defeat the East Flame Cinderspawn
- Find the South Flame Guardian
- Light the South torches
- Defeat the South Flame Guardian
- (Inferno) Find the South Flame Guardian
- (Inferno) Extinguish the South flames
- (Inferno) Defeat the South Flame Cinderspawn
- Find the West Flame Guardian
- Light the West flames
- Defeat the West Flame Guardian
- (Inferno) Find the West Flame Guardian
- (Inferno) Extinguish the West flames
- (Inferno) Defeat the West Flame Cinderspawn
- (Inferno) Return to the central chamber
- (Inferno) Defeat Cinnis
What to Expect
- Traps (random, some undisarmable)
- Spawning/respawning monsters
- All in random hallways
Tips and Misc
In addition to the shrines marked on the heroic map, the epic dungeon has a pair of shrines in the entry room.
A few things to know before you get started:
- In order to light (in Eberron) and put out (in the Inferno) the torches in this quest, you will need access to fire and cold spells. Fireball, Faerie Fire, Burning Hands, Scorch, Ice Storm, Freezing Sphere, Flame Strike, Flaming Sphere and Sun Flasks work. Ray type spells such as Scorching Ray and Niac's do not work. Wall of Fire will NOT work for lighting torches and as of U13 Cone of Cold no longer works for putting them out. Winter's Wrath wand does not work to extinguish torches.
- Note: It is possible to kite around the fire/ice mephits to light and extinguish torches, but it is difficult. (Try standing on the torch after you lure one in, or if your jump isn't high enough, try to keep the torch between you and the mephit). For the last two torches to extinguish you can tempt mephits through the flame barrier and then kite them back to both sets of torches to extinguish them.
- The walkthrough will follow the numbers on the third map above. For example when you enter you will go to #1 on the Eberron side. Once ported over refer to the Inferno map and follow the paths to #1. Green paths indicate you will be moving from the Inferno to Eberron or vice versa, white paths indicate a pathway within a given plane.
- Breaking a portal will teleport everyone near it to the other side. If you break a portal in Eberron it will teleport to its mirror location in the Inferno, and vice-versa.
- When killing an Acolyte in Eberron, he will take you with him to the other side in the Inferno. You must strategically kill Acolytes in our realm, to place you in special places in the Inferno, if you are going to get the chests, key and rest shrines.
- Everything you kill on the Eberron side will have its spirit travel into the Inferno side, where you will need to face its undead counterpart, including the orange-named fire elementals who become orange-named cinderspawn (the big blue creatures). Although the cinderspawn don't look like other undead, they have the Undead type and disruption weapons deal extra damage against them.
- There are many randomized traps in this dungeon, so a rogue is definitely a benefit here.
The quest will be easier and faster if someone can cast Flesh to Stone and one cast of Dimension Door. Upon entering the dungeon, it is advised to have resistance to fire on everyone, and cold on the melees. Acid and Lightning are beneficial as well. Any other favorite buffs should be done at this point, and then it is time to move out.
This walkthrough will guide you through one of the most efficient routes through The Inferno of the Damned.
- Move to #1 on the map above. West then your first left to a closed door. You will see priests praying to an altar on the other side. Get their attention by simply gathering the whole party by the gate and wait for the prayers to stop. They will stand up and move to attack, opening the door to get you. Move Inside Their Room! You must fight inside their room, and quickly locate the Acolyte. Be sure everyone is standing near him when he dies. The best way to achieve this is to cast flesh to stone on him (though any immobilizing crowd control will work), have everyone huddle around him, then kill him. This will send you to the Inferno side, where you are inside a room with a locked chest, and you will be able to open the door from this side.
- Leave the chest for now, it requires a key. Leave the room, take a left past the first blue portal (If someone missed the Acolyte Express, they can use this portal to join you in Hell), and continue to the far south at #2. There is another blue portal here; Destroy it.
- Follow the path north and east, until you get to the Torch Room at #3. Light the torches using a fire spell, and destroy the summoned flame guardian.
- Travel back the way you came to #4. Destroy the red portal.
- Head north, first left, past the portal outside the locked treasure room. You will reach an area that drops to a lower level. Go ahead and drop down. These torches are not ready to be extinguished yet, so bypass them and head north. to #5. Use the blue portal to travel back Eberron.
- Head south to #6 and light the torches. Defeat the flame guardian.
- Travel back the way you came to #7. Destroy the red portal to travel to the Inferno side.
- Travel south to the blue torches at #8. Here you must put out the torches by using cone of cold or icestorm. Once they are out, defeat the cinderspawn (an undead elemental).
- Head back the way you came, to #9. Destroy the blue portal.
- Travel east, bypass the red portal and head north to #10. This room contains an Acolyte, so be careful. Once again, use flesh to stone to immobilize the Acolyte, then gather the party around him for the kill. (there is also a rez shrine on this side, if needed.) Once the Acolyte dies, he will pull you through with him into the Inferno side. (If nobody is close enough to be pulled through with him, you can use the portal to switch to Inferno side and use the lever through the bars to open up the gate.)
- Clear the shrine room, grab your loot, reset buffs and shrine up. Then head to the south, past the blue portal, continue east staying to the left. You will come to another drop point, drop down Search, clicky, true seeing, whatever, to get the secret door to the north at #11. Break the blue portal.
- Go south and ignite the torches at #12.
- Head back the way you came to #13. Break the red portal.
- Head south to #14 and extinguish the torches.
- Climb up the blocks and travel southeast to #15. Break the blue portal.
- Clear out the room, be very careful not to break the portal again. Once it is clear, have everyone gather to the gate on the west. Now, use range weapons and spells to destroy the portal, where it will not teleport you. This will get the attention of the guys behind the gate. When they come for you, be sure to fight them in the west hall, where they come from at #16. Be mindful of the Acolyte. Use Flesh to stone, immobilize him, and use him to teleport the group back to the Inferno.
- Here you will find the key to the locked chest in the beginning. Pick it up and move on. (Note: If the person carrying the key dies, it will drop to the floor. Be sure to pick it up if this happens.) Travel east past the blue portal and move to the south. There is a portal at the end of the hall (at #17), break the blue portal.
- Go northwest to the torch room at #18. Light the torches.
- Travel south until you reach a room with a rez shrine and an Acolyte at #19. Stone the Acolyte, surround him, use him to teleport to the Inferno.
- Rebuff and use the rest shrine. If any of your party missed the Acolyte Express transport, travel northeast to the portal to pick them up. Otherwise, or afterward, travel northwest from the shrine room. Grab your loot in the chest, then drop down to #20. Extinguish the blue flames and defeat the cinderspawn.
- Travel north to the central chamber, go east to #21. Extinguish the blue flames and defeat the last guardian cinderspawn.
- Travel back to the central chamber at #22. Cinnis the Cinderspawn will climb up from the ground. Defeat him, cold does extra damage and heal spells work nicely. Once he is dead, grab your end chest, but do not recall yet. You still have the locked chest to go and grab. Use dimension door to go to the beginning.
- Travel west and southwest, to the Inferno Portal at #23. Break it.
- Travel northeast and go grab your chest. This is where the pieces of the Shield have a chance to drop.
If you do not have Dimension Door: from the Inferno end (#22) travel north and go right at the split. Drop down and continue east. This will take you back to the portal (#15) next to where you picked up the key. Break this portal to head back to the Eberron side. From here you can travel back to the center and then west towards the Shield chest via the above directions.
Congrats, you are finished! Head back to the Necropolis and grab your end reward.
- Aggression bonus: 63 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 81 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 103 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 52 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 68 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 92 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Chests: 4 Total:
- 3 chests on the Inferno side
- 1 chest on the Inferno side that can be opened by key only (Contains chance at shield fragments)
- NPC rewards: Random item
Named Chest Drop
All items are ML 27 and .
- Epic Chord of Reprisals - Belt
- , , , , ,
- ( or ), ( )
- Epic Emerald Guard - Heavy Armor
- , — 1 Charges (Recharged/Day:1), , , , ,
- ( or ), ( ),
- Epic Glimpse of the Soul - Goggles
- , , , , Illusion Save +6, Enchantment Save +6,
- ( or ), ( )
- Epic Inferno Bracers - Bracers
- , , ,
- ( or ), ( )
- Epic Seraphim - Helm
- , , , , ,
- ( or ), ( )
- Mythic Seraphim - Helm
- , , , , , ,
- ( or ), ( )
- Silver Lining - Small Shield
- , , , , Hardened Spike
- ( , , or ), ( , , or )