Chains of Flame
|Warning - The information on this page might be inaccurate due to game update.
If you know any information on this page to be in error, please fix it by clicking the "Edit" link above.
If you can verify that all the information on this page has been updated correctly, please edit this page and remove this template.
|Requires access to adventure pack: Demon Sands|
|Chains of Flame|
|Heroic XP:||♣2,556 ♦4,468 ♥4,676 ♠4,884|
|Epic XP:||♣13,518 ♦17,822 ♥18,134 ♠18,446|
|Takes place in:||The Burning City|
|NPC contact:||Jaefan Druz|
|Quest acquired in:||Zawabi's Refuge|
|Patron:||The Free Agents|
|Free to Play:||No|
Jaefan Druz told you about the slave-taking habits of the Firebrand gnolls. According to Druz, the Firebrands wield the evil magics of demons and efreet in order to seize victims and work them to death - or eat them alive! Druz wants you to free the slaves of the Burning City, hidden deep in the Menechtarun, and bring back the Orb of the Efreet. This artifact is treasured by the rulers of the Burning City, and it will prove that you have broken the power of the Firebrands.
Spoiler Warning: Information below this point can be considered spoiler material!
- Free at least 15 slaves
- Kill General Hruvayah
- Kill Rashad the Vizier
- Search the Efreeti Hoard
- (Optional) Free Gaspar Goldpike: (15% of base XP)
- (Optional) Speak to Valgrim Forge-Bound: (3% of base XP)
- (Optional) Kill Valgrim's elemental guards: (10% of base XP)
- (Optional) Free Valgrim Forge-Bound: (4% of base XP)
- (Optional) Transfer Erath's curse to a willing victim: (20% of base XP)
- (Optional) Kill the ogre mages in the library: (6% of base XP)
- (Optional) Speak to Erath the Blinded: (3% of base XP)
- (Optional) Free Erath the Blinded: (3% of base XP)
- (Optional) Free all 30 slaves: (24% of base XP)
What to Expect
- Traps (fixed)
- Overlapping floors
Fire, spikes (normal - elite), spinning blades, blowing off air-stream (epic only)
Tips and Misc
- To save Gaspar Goldpike, you need to have a Bluff of 21 (Normal) or better.
- Aggression bonus: 152 monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 198 monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Ingenious Debilitation bonus: 5 traps disarmed +15% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 108 breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 141 breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 173 breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
1. At intersection #1, go west (ignore the path heading east).
2. At intersection #2, go west (ignore the path heading east). Kill the overseer, get Key #1, free 3 prisoners.
3. Return to intersection #2, open locked door #1.
4. At intersection #3, head west (ignore the path heading north), kill the ogre mage, get Key #2 (optionally use bluff on the ogre mage to save the dwarf and get the Stolen Treasury Key from him).
5. Return to intersection #3, head north, kill the overseer, get Key #3, loot the chest, free 3 prisoners.
6. Return to intersection #1, open locked door #2, watch out for fire traps, reach the first shrine.
7. At intersection #4, free 3 prisoners, head north (ignore the path heading west), free 2 prisoners, open the door to the treasure room (use the Stolen Treasury Key or pick the lock - DC 56 on Normal) and loot the chest.
8. Return to intersection #4, head west, open locked door #3, watch out for spinning blade traps.
9. At intersection #5, head north (ignore the west path), watch out for blade traps, kill the overseer, get Key #4, free 1 prisoner, pull the lever.
10. Return to intersection #5, head west.
11. At intersection #6, free 2 prisoners, head east (ignore the path heading west), talk to and rescue the minotaur, loot the chest.
12. Return to intersection #6, head west, open locked door #4.
13. At intersection #7, head north (ignore the path heading east), free 1 prisoner, watch out for spike and fire traps.
14. At intersection #8, free 1 prisoner, head south (ignore the path heading east).
15. At intersection #9, free 1 prisoner, head south across the bridge (ignore the path heading north), kill the overseer, get Key #5, free 3 prisoners, loot the locked chest (DC 50 on normal).
16. Return to intersection #9, head north, free 1 prisoner, pull the lever.
17. Drop down to the bridge below, free 2 prisoners, head east (ignore the path heading west), reach the second shrine.
18. Return to the bridge, head west.
19. At intersection #10, head north (ignore the path heading west).
20. At intersection #11, head east (ignore the path heading south), open locked door #5, free 1 prisoner, talk to the blinded prisoner, take his curse, use Remove Curse potion or spell (the blindness will not renew after the remove curse is used), kill the ogre mages, free the blinded prisoner.
21. Head north through the door from the upper floor of the library, watch out for blade traps after the first bridge, open the last locked door with the Royal Firebrand Key that you received from the 16th freed prisoner. Kill the 2 bosses, loot the chest and search the Efreeti Hoard for the Orb of the Efreet.
Due to the complex quest design (too many overlapping floors in this case) the number of symbols placed on the map is kept to a bare minimum as to not confuse players.
In step 7 of the walk through, after heading North, you will fight a Fire Elemental and various Gnolls before reaching the two prisoners and the treasure room.
- Chests: Total 6 including 2 require open lock skill (55 DC).
- Valgrim (minotaur) chest, Erath's library chest, Vault chest (locked - requires 50 DC on hard) and End chest may contain named items.
- NPC rewards: Random item
Named Chest Drop
- Cape of the Roc - Cloak: Roc's Strength (3 3/day), Green Augment Slot, Feather Falling (End chest)
- Golden Greaves - Boots: Striding +20%, DR 3/-, Colorless Augment Slot (Valgrim chest)
- Hruvayah's Medallion - Necklace: Spell Penetration VI, Taint of evil, Yellow Augment Slot, Colorless Augment Slot (End chest)
- Ring of Baphomet - Ring: Bestow Curse (3 3/day), Wisdom -1, Charisma -1, Intimidate +11, Green Augment Slot, Yellow Augment Slot (Valgrim chest)
- Staff of Inner Sight - +5 Quarterstaff: Intelligence +6, Red Augment Slot, Purple Augment Slot (Erath's library chest)
- Unkor's Cleaver - +5 Battleaxe 1.50[1d10] STR/CON: Keen I, Red Augment Slot (Vault chest)
- Elder Air Elementals
- Elder Fire Elementals
- Firebrand Conjurers
- Firebrand Eremites
- Firebrand Gnolls
- Firebrand Lieutenants
- Firebrand Pyromancers
- Firebrand Ritualists
- Firebrand Sergeants
- Greater Dust Mephits
- Greater Fire Mephits
- Menechtarun Hyenas
- Menechtarun Packmasters
- Ogre Warlocks
- Firebrand Overseers - Orange-named gnoll; required kills - first one drops Key #1, second one drops Key #3, third one drops Key #5
- General Hruvayah - Red-named gnoll; end boss
- Kitchen Assistant - Named gnoll; can only be killed if the option to kill Unkor the Gourmet is chosen
- Rashad the Vizier - Red-named efreet; end boss
- Unkor the Gourmet - Orange-named ogre magi; either required kill or required bluff check for Key #2