Chains of Flame
|Requires access to : Demon Sands|
|Chains of Flame|
|Takes place in:||The Burning City|
|Bestowed by:||Jaefan Druz|
|NPC contact:||Jaefan Druz|
|Quest acquired in:||Zawabi's Refuge|
|Patron:||The Free Agents|
|Free to Play:||No|
Jaefan Druz told you about the slave-taking habits of the Firebrand gnolls. According to Druz, the Firebrands wield the evil magics of demons and efreet in order to seize victims and work them to death - or eat them alive! Druz wants you to free the slaves of the Burning City, hidden deep in the Menechtarun, and bring back the Orb of the Efreet. This artifact is treasured by the rulers of the Burning City, and it will prove that you have broken the power of the Firebrands.
Spoiler Warning: Information below this point can be considered spoiler material!
- Free at least 15 slaves
- Kill General Hruvayah
- Kill Rashad the Vizier
- Search the Efreeti Hoard
- (Optional) Free Gaspar Goldpike: (15% of base XP)
- (Optional) Speak to Valgrim Forge-Bound: (3% of base XP)
- (Optional) Kill Valgrim's elemental guards: (10% of base XP)
- (Optional) Free Valgrim Forge-Bound: (4% of base XP)
- (Optional) Transfer Erath's curse to a willing victim: (20% of base XP)
- (Optional) Kill the ogre mages in the library: (6% of base XP)
- (Optional) Speak to Erath the Blinded: (3% of base XP)
- (Optional) Free Erath the Blinded: (3% of base XP)
- (Optional) Free all 30 slaves: (24% of base XP)
What to Expect
- Traps (fixed)
- Overlapping floors
Fire, spikes (normal - elite), spinning blades, blowing off air-stream (epic only)
Tips and Misc
- After clearing the first bridge, take a moment to watch around the lava lake at the bottom of the Burning City, under the bridge. There's a Return Portal on a wall, just above the lake's surface. Make a mental note of its position. If you fall into the lava, head for it: if you're quick enough, you can use it to teleport just above the first bridge before you burn to death. The same applies to other bridges as well.
- To save Gaspar Goldpike, you need to have a Bluff of 21 (Normal) or better.
- Orb of the Efreet, key item acquired at the end of this quest instance, cannot be turned in to Zawabi right away. Talk to the quest giver Jaefan Druz and receive Orb of the Djinn first.
- At intersection #1, go west (ignore the path heading east).
- At intersection #2, go west (ignore the path heading east). Kill the overseer, get Key #1, free 3 prisoners.
- Return to intersection #2, open locked door #1.
- At intersection #3, head west (ignore the path heading north), kill the ogre mage, get Key #2 (optionally use bluff on the ogre mage to save the dwarf and get the Stolen Treasury Key from him).
- Return to intersection #3, head north, kill the overseer, get Key #3, loot the chest, free 3 prisoners.
- Return to intersection #1, open locked door #2, watch out for fire traps in the hall just after door, reach the first shrine behind a levered door to north.
- At intersection #4, free 3 prisoners, head north (right turn after bridge, ignore the path heading west-left), free 2 prisoners, open the door to the treasure room (use the Stolen Treasury Key or pick the lock - DC 56 on Normal) and loot the chest.
- Return to intersection #4, head west, watch out for spinning blade traps just after door #3, open locked door #3.
- At intersection #5, head north (ignore the west path), watch out for blade traps, kill the overseer, get Key #4, free 1 prisoner, pull the lever.
- Return to intersection #5, head west.
- At intersection #6, free 2 prisoners, head east (ignore the path heading west), talk to and rescue the minotaur, loot the chest.
- Return to intersection #6, head west, open locked door #4.
- At intersection #7, head north (ignore the path heading east), free 1 prisoner, watch out for spike and fire traps (same room).
- At intersection #8, free 1 prisoner, head south (ignore the path heading east).
- At intersection #9, free 1 prisoner, head south across the bridge (ignore the path heading north), kill the overseer, get Key #5, free 3 prisoners, loot the locked chest (DC 50 on normal).
- Return to intersection #9, head north, free 1 prisoner, pull the lever.
- Drop down to the bridge below, free 2 prisoners, head east (ignore the path heading west), reach the second shrine.
- Return to the bridge, head west.
- At intersection #10, head north (ignore the path heading west - this backtracks many rooms, watch out for spike/fire trapped room).
- At intersection #11, just past the spike/fire traps, head east (ignore the path heading south), open locked door #5, free 1 prisoner, talk to the blinded prisoner, take his curse, use Remove Curse potion or spell (the blindness will not renew after the remove curse is used), kill the ogre mages, free the blinded prisoner.
- Head north through the door from the upper floor of the library, watch out for blade traps after the first bridge(just before adventurer's pack), open the last locked door with the Royal Firebrand Key that you received from the 16th freed prisoner. Kill the 2 bosses, loot the chest and search the Efreeti Hoard for the Orb of the Efreet.
- Map notes
- Due to the complex quest design (too many overlapping floors in this case) the number of symbols placed on the map is kept to a bare minimum as to not confuse players.
- In step 7 of the walk through, after heading North, you will fight a Fire Elemental and various Gnolls before reaching the two prisoners and the treasure room.
- Breakdown of Slave Locations
- Lowest Level
- 3 - In room with Gnoll Overseer who drops 1st Burning City Key
- Kitchen Level
- 3 - In room with Gnoll Overseer who drops 2nd Burning City Key
- Level above 1st Shrine
- 1 - On platform through door after 1st shrine
- 2 - Across bridge, on East Platform of main block
- 2 - Through door at North/Right end of East platform and along North Platform (past treasure room) to far end
- 1 - Through door at South/Left end of East platform, through door half-way along South Platform and up steps; In room with Gnoll Overseer who drops 3rd Burning City Key
- 1 - Through door at far/West end of South platform and along West Platform (past Bridge and door to Minotaur) to far end
- 1 - Inside shelter immediately before far end of West Platform
- Library Level (2 levels up: Up 1 level, cross bridge to left, take curving passage up another level)
- 1 - On far side of bridge, at East/Left end of North Platform of main block
- 2 - On platform immediately below bridge to North Platform (North end of bridge); Requires jump down to platform, jump down to lower level, then run back up
- 1 - On platform below and to West of bridge to North Platform (North end of bridge); Requires jump down to platform, jump down to lower level, then run back up
- 1 - In central room, after room with Spike & Fire Traps
- 1 - In shelter at West end of South platform
- 3 - In room with Gnoll Overseer who drops 4th Burning City Key, across bridge to South of South platform
- 1 - Through door at far/East end of South platform; At North/far end of East platform
- 1 - At table in Library
- 2nd Shrine Level (1 level down: Use lever to lower drawbridge, then jump down to drawbridge or run back down one level)
- 2 - On platform next to room with 2nd Shrine; Requires run back up
- Level above Library
- 2 - On platform immediately below Walkway on West side of main block, one at South/near end, one at North/far end; Requires jump down to platform, jump down to lower level, then run back up
- Top level
- 1 - In shelter on platform immediately before room with Final Fight with Rashad/Hruvayah
- Aggression bonus: 152 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 198 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Ingenious Debilitation bonus: 5 or more traps disarmed +30% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 108 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 141 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 173 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Chests: Total 6 including 2 require open lock skill (55 DC).
- Valgrim (minotaur) chest, Erath's library chest, Vault chest (locked - requires 50 DC on hard) and End chest may contain named items.
- NPC rewards: Random item
Named Chest Drop
- Cape of the Roc - Cloak: — 3 Charges (Recharged/Day:3), , (End chest)
- Golden Greaves - Boots: , , (Valgrim chest)
- Hruvayah's Medallion - Necklace: Spell Penetration VI, Taint of evil, , (End chest)
- Ring of Baphomet - Ring: — 3 Charges (Recharged/Day:3), , , , , (Valgrim chest)
- Staff of Inner Sight - +5 Quarterstaff: , , (Erath's library chest)
- Unkor's Cleaver - +5 Battleaxe 1.50[1d10] STR/CON: , (Vault chest)
- Elder Air Elementals
- Elder Fire Elementals
- Fire Mephits
- Firebrand Conjurers
- Firebrand Eremites
- Firebrand Gnolls
- Firebrand Lieutenants
- Firebrand Pyromancers
- Firebrand Ritualists
- Firebrand Sergeants
- Greater Dust Mephits
- Greater Fire Mephits
- Menechtarun Hyenas
- Menechtarun Packmasters
- Ogre Warlocks
- Firebrand Overseers - Orange-named gnoll; required kills - first one drops Key #1, second one drops Key #3, third one drops Key #5
- General Hruvayah - Red-named gnoll; end boss
- Kitchen Assistant - Yellow-named gnoll; can only be killed if the option to kill Unkor the Gourmet is chosen
- Rashad the Vizier - Red-named efreet; end boss
- Unkor the Gourmet - Orange-named ogre mage; either required kill or required bluff check for Key #2