All adventure packs are free for a limited time! Until April 23, use the code
DUNGEONCRAWL in the DDO Store to unlock a plethora of free quests!
More info: https://www.ddo.com/news/ddo-free-dungeoncrawl
Game mechanics • Newbie guide • In development • DDO Store • Social Media
Challenges • Classes • Collectables • Crafting • Enhancements • Epic Destinies • Favor • Feats
Glossary • Items • Maps • Monsters • Places • Quests • Races • Reincarnation • Skills • Spells
Please create an account or log in to build a reputation and unlock more editing privileges, and then visit DDO wiki's IRC Chat/Discord if you need any help!
A Relic of a Sovereign Past
Tesyus, a legendary sword forged by the dwarves of Xen'drik, was lost many years ago. The faithful of the Sovereign Host hope to reclaim it.
|A Relic of a Sovereign Past|
💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
|Heroic XP:||♣3,260Solo/Casual ♦5,699Normal ♥5,966Hard ♠6,233Elite|
|Takes place in:||Black Anvil Mines|
|Bestowed by:||Sir Kinze MacDunnam|
|NPC contact:||Sir Kinze MacDunnam|
|Quest acquired in:||Temple of the Sovereign Host|
|Purchase:||Free to Play|
The Sword of Redemption was a holy artifact forged by the dwarves of Ironroot Mountains during the Age of Monsters. Over time, the sword found its way into the possession of the Sovereign Host. After being lost for more than two hundred years, the Host has received information that the sword is now in the hands of the dwarves of the Black Anvil Mines. Go to the dwarven stronghold and retrieve Tesyus.
Spoiler Warning: Spoiler material below this point!
- Obtain the sword Tesyus
- Defeat the High Priest of the Dark Six, Edgan Nightforge
- Defeat the Clanwarden, Griel Nightforge
- Find a way to unlock the door
- Open the door at the end of the barracks
- Use the switch behind the altar
- Use the switch beneath the rune
- Speak to Dolgrim Nightforge
- (Optional) Obtain the sword through non-combative means — Bonus (45%): Heroic( ♣1,467 ♦2,565 ♥2,685 ♠2,805 )
- (Optional) Defeat the duergar king, Dolgrim Nightforge — Bonus (10%): Heroic( ♣326 ♦570 ♥597 ♠623 )
- (Optional) Defeat Dolgrim's guards (Kill 6) — Bonus (10%): Heroic( ♣326 ♦570 ♥597 ♠623 )
- (Optional) Defeat Forge Master Daredin — Bonus (15%): Heroic( ♣489 ♦855 ♥895 ♠935 )
- (Optional) Kill all the duergar summoners (Kill 8) — Bonus (15%): Heroic( ♣489 ♦855 ♥895 ♠935 )
What to Expect
- 15 Poison Traps (fixed)
- Quest item collection (optional: 15 Adamantine Ores)
- Poison spewing statues also drain large amounts of STR if you are not careful (all trap control panels are beneath the statues that spray poison).
Tips and Misc
- Note that the quest giver, Sir Kinze MacDunnam, who also gives your post-quest reward, is found inside the Temple of the Sovereign Host in the southern part of House Deneith. The quest entrance is in the Black Anvil Forest, in the northeast area of House Kundarak Enclave. In your quest journal (default L), it is listed where the quest is found, under House Kundarak.
- Fortification +100%Fortification +100%: This suit of armor or shield produces a magical force that protects vital areas of the wearer much more effectively. When a critical hit or sneak attack is scored on the wearer, there is a 100% chance that the critical hit or sneak attack is negated and damage is instead rolled normally. is highly recommended for this quest. Duergar use Heavy Picks, which do quadruple damage on a Critical hit.
- Touch of Idiocy is effective in this quest. Due to the Duergar's low Charisma score, ToI will render them helpless. The casters are especially vulnerable.
- Dimension Door can save a lot of time as there are no re-spawns and running back down each corridor after clearing to the end is time consuming.
- One section of the caves allows you to collect adamantine ore. There are a total of 15 ore to collect, which can be used in the Stone of Change to harden items, or with a forge master to create several unique items:
- Items and ore amount (Since update 12, characters can own and use multiple items without restrictions.)
- At some point this quest was changed so that the duerger will randomly drop ore in addition to lumps of coal. They do so very infrequently.
- The key to enter this section is found in a randomly-placed chest in the northwest area. You can use 'q' (Q the default key for selecting interactables) to check for the chest without opening the doors there. It is not possible to simply pick the lock; you need the key.
- The levers in this section have to be manually targeted. The 'q' key will not highlight them. The "target" levers can also ONLY be opened with a ranged (or thrown) weapon. You cannot pull them with your hands, zap them with a wand. You can, however, shieldblock near a lever and use the duergar to trigger them while they try to hit you. Alternatively, one of the easiest ways (should you not have a ranged weapon in your inventory) is to use of one of the lumps of coal you will find lying around just before you get to this section of the map.
- If you attempt to copy the Tesyus using a Mirror of Glamering, you will lose the cosmetic along with the sword upon exiting this dungeon.
Walkthrough (largely thanks to Lost Leader)
Get some fire resist and head on in. Clear the huge main chamber; be sure to get all the duergar summoners on the ledges to stop the flow of elementals and gain some optional XP (15% Base XP). You will need ranged weapons or spells for that (one ledge is unreachable for melee, and a second requires a high jump). Summoners also self-heal quickly; if you don't have enough ranged DPS, you can ignore this optional and simply run through the chamber, although they will stop self-healing after a certain point.
Now head back to where you came out of the entrance cave. Get some acid and lightning resist as well as fire, and Blindness Ward and Death Ward can be important too. Take the first cave on your left (the southwest one). This is the church wing, filled with casters and death priests. Clear it out, defeat the main summoner, pull the lever on the pedestal and get some loot. Shrine up and head back to the main room (via foot or Dimension Door).
This time, take the second door on the left (northwest). This is the barracks. Either...
- a) Hack'n'Slash your way down the corridor.*
- * Watch out, 'cause those duergar champions use Heavy Picks that have an ×4 Critical multiplier.
- b) Sneak right down the center. Even in loud creaky armor you won't disturb the bad guys behind the doors if you are in sneak mode.
If you want to go for the optional adamantine ore (see next section), you will need to search out the barracks for the Silver key; the chest can be carefully targeted through the door if you wish to skip most of the fighting. There is also a shrine behind the second door on the right, but it is guarded inside.
Either way, work your way to the bottom, pull the rune lever there, grab your chest and head back up.
- Optional next part: If you want to collect the ore, skip the next (north) hall with the blackguards and go to the Locked door requiring the Silver key (North-east), back to the mines. Kill the duergar and collect the 15 pieces of ore from the floor as you go - look closely, use Q. Either split them up between those who want, or do a roll off for all. If you have enough pieces, you can trade them in for a special item with the smith in the back halls, or keep them and use them for Alchemical Adamantine Rituals to increase the hardness and durability of your items.
Last, head back to the blackguard hallway, the one due the north. Work your way up; disable the poison traps if you have a rogue. Without someone to disarm the traps, stick close to the pillars that spit poison; the jets are high above your head. When you reach the top, you have another option. When you talk to the King, you are given all sorts of charisma based interactions. If you have a high Intimidate you will get one route, where a high Diplomacy or Bluff will get you another. One route is to fight the king and get one chest, the other is to fight six blackguards and get a different chest. ….Or, you could purposefully fail the check, kill both and get both chests.
- Updated notes on how to gain the optional XP:
- Bluff, (Hard: 35:Fail; 40:Success), (Elite: 34:Fail; 40:Success) - The king gives you the sword, counts for obtaining the sword via non-combative means.
- Diplomacy, (Hard: 32:Fail; ——:Success), (Elite: 35:Fail; ——:Success) - The king gives you the sword, counts for obtaining the sword via non-combative means.
- Intimidate, (Hard: 25:Fail; 33:Success), (Elite: 19:Fail; 30:Success) - The king gives you the sword, counts for obtaining the sword via non-combative means.
- Fail either or Choose to fight: Fight the King and the Guards: (10% + 10% = 20% Base XP and two chests). Kill the guards first and the door to the second chest will open once the King dies.
Now grab Tesyus from the dais to complete the quest.
- In-quest item:
- Map notes:
- 1 - Key (found in a chest randomly placed in the west wing, unlocks the door to the east wing)
- 2 - Adamantine ore (15 pieces randomly placed in the east wing)
- 3 - Tesyus
- Use the first small map once you have done a 360-degrees run of the northern wing's ascending corridor and use the second small map after the second 360 degrees run.
- Aggression bonus: 97 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.( ♣326 ♦570 ♥597 ♠623 )
- Onslaught bonus: 127 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.( ♣489 ♦855 ♥895 ♠935 )
- Conquest bonus: 156 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.( ♣815 ♦1,425 ♥1,492 ♠1,558 )
- Tamper bonus: 8 or more traps disarmed +10% Bonus.( ♣326 ♦570 ♥597 ♠623 )
- Neutralization bonus: 10 or more traps disarmed +20% Bonus.( ♣652 ♦1,140 ♥1,193 ♠1,247 )
- Ingenious Debilitation bonus: 12 or more traps disarmed +30% Bonus.( ♣978 ♦1,710 ♥1,790 ♠1,870 )
- Mischief bonus: 111 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.( ♣261 ♦456 ♥477 ♠499 )
- Vandal bonus: 145 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.( ♣326 ♦570 ♥597 ♠623 )
- Ransack bonus: 178 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.( ♣489 ♦855 ♥895 ♠935 )
- Chests: Up to 4
- 1 for defeating Edgan Nightforge
- 1 for defeating Griel Nightforge
- 1 possible if you kill King Dolgrim (at a cost of less total XP)
- 1 possible if you defeat Dolgrim's guards (at a cost of less total XP)
- Collectables: 4
- Adventurer's Pack in the central chamber, to the east
- Crude Altar in the southwest corridor, in the eastern chamber
- Bookshelf in the northwest corridor, in the third room to the south
- Rubble in the northeast corridor, in the western section of the second off-shoot
- NPC rewards: Random item
- Rewards from adamantine ore turn-in
DDOwiki maintenance categories
DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories
Root > DDO game guides > Maps > Quests with maps
Root > DDO library
Root > DDO meta
Root > DDO meta > DDO Official
Root > DDOwiki meta
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Free to Play quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by duration > Very long quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by favor reward > Quests with 7 base favor reward
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by level > DDO Compendium
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by level > Level 12 quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by location > House Deneith quests > Temple of the Sovereign Host quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by name
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by patron > House Deneith patron quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by zone > Black Anvil Mines quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > External links > Pages sourced by DDO forums