All adventure packs are free for a limited time! Until April 23, use the code
DUNGEONCRAWL in the DDO Store to unlock a plethora of free quests!
More info: https://www.ddo.com/news/ddo-free-dungeoncrawl
Game mechanics • Newbie guide • In development • DDO Store • Social Media
Challenges • Classes • Collectables • Crafting • Enhancements • Epic Destinies • Favor • Feats
Glossary • Items • Maps • Monsters • Places • Quests • Races • Reincarnation • Skills • Spells
Please create an account or log in to build a reputation and unlock more editing privileges, and then visit DDO wiki's IRC Chat/Discord if you need any help!
Mineshaft IV is the heart of the duergar's mining operation on Ataraxia's Haven.
|Heroic XP:||♣1,788Solo/Casual ♦3,140Normal ♥3,300Hard ♠3,459Elite|
|Takes place in:||Mineshaft IV|
|Bestowed by:||Leros Levithas|
|NPC contact:||Leros Levithas|
|Quest acquired in:||Ataraxia's Haven|
|Free to Play:||Yes|
Leros Levithas told you about the Duergar's incessant strip mining of Ataraxia's Haven. Of particular interest was Mineshaft IV, a location where the Duergar have reportedly found adamantine. Leros asked you to go there, disrupt their mining operation and destroy the Duergar foreman leading the dig.
Spoiler Warning: Spoiler material below this point!
- Explore the duergar mine
- Disable the steam furnaces that keep the Foreman's Chamber sealed - 3 total
- Slay Overseer Drukh
- Slay Overseer Heggir
- Slay Overseer Nifnin
- Slay Foreman Tanrel
- (Optional) Destroy the duergar mining supplies - 35 total — Bonus (20%): Heroic( ♣358 ♦628 ♥660 ♠692 )
- (Optional) Destroy the duergar explosives - 10 total — Bonus (20%): Heroic( ♣358 ♦628 ♥660 ♠692 )
- (Optional) Destroy the duergar water supplies - 40 total — Bonus (20%): Heroic( ♣358 ♦628 ♥660 ♠692 )
- (Optional) Slay Detritus — Bonus (20%): Heroic( ♣358 ♦628 ♥660 ♠692 )
- (Optional) Slay Scour — Bonus (20%): Heroic( ♣358 ♦628 ♥660 ♠692 )
What to Expect
- Overlapping floors
- Ability checks (mandatory: 3, require Strength checks (The valve Strength requirements may have been lowered or removed as Strength: 10 was sufficient on Elite[Unverified"The valve Strength requirements may have been lowered or removed as Strength: 10 was sufficient on Elite" has not been verified in-game. Please verify it!])
None – but that dark area straight ahead from the entrance is a hole, not a shadow. (Note: the fall won't kill you, as there's water on the bottom)
Tips and Misc
- Useful buffs:
- Acid resist against the duergar scouts' arrows
- Fire resist against the Adamantine Defenders' fire breath
- Heavy Fortification is highly recommended for this quest. The duergar use Heavy Picks, which do quadruple damage on a critical hit.
- Some people prefer dropping down the shaft and clearing their way up.
- You can usually pull melee mobs out of the open areas to avoid much of archer fire.
- Turning the huge valves: ♠10Elite (or less) STR, required to complete quest.
- Water breathing may help for shrine/Foreman access.
- Overseer Drukh and the water supplies (vases) are in the topmost furnace room.
- Overseer Heggir and the explosives (explosive barrels) are in the central furnace room.
- Overseer Nifnin and the mining supplies are in the deepest furnace room.
- Scour may appear (along with another rust monster) between the topmost and central furnace rooms.
- Detritus may appear between the deepest furnace room and the Foreman's room.
- The end fight is extremely tough, with the Overseer and about a dozen duergar – try to lure them close to the shrine to make sure you can run back (this also will help keep Detritus inactive until the duergar are taken care of.)
- When you finish out of the quest, the Duergars outside are likely to have respawned.
Walkthrough (thanks mainly to DDO Forums)
- Way #1: Bottom up
- Get some feather fall on, it's time to go for a flight. Or, if you feel like a high dive, just jump off. The dark patch ahead is a pit that drops all the way down the shaft to a pool of water. On reaper difficulty, this may attract reapers as you fly past them. Start down there and we can work our way back up.
- From the bottom of the drop, there are two ways you can swim. West will take you up the mine shaft. Under the water to the south takes you to a shrine and to the, currently locked, main base of the duergar.
- Starting to the west, begin working your way up the mine shaft, clearing as you go. There are three side passages on the way up with a large duergar mining force, a foreman and a huge valve (strength based). You have to defeat the foremen and turn the valves in all three rooms. This will open the door underwater do the south.
- When you are ready, shrine up and head on through. Defeat the Overseer to complete the quest.
- Way #2: Top down
- Buff up and pull the lever next to where you come in. The rolling door will open and you get jumped by a bunch of duergar. Take them out and head on down.
- When you get to the first three-way intersection:
- South takes you towards the start of the quest (except it doesn't, because there's a big hole in between you and it)
- North takes you to a room with a large duergar mining force, a foreman and a huge valve (strength based). You have to defeat the foreman and turn the valve. Smash the vases for the optional (Destroy the duergar water supplies – these count towards breakables too). Head on back to the intersection and go west.
- Continue down the winding passage. You may encounter Scour, a named rust monster. He doesn't have a chest.
- Mind that you don't run off into space; the tunnel criss-crosses a few times, and that central shaft goes right through the passage in a couple of spots.
- Keep heading down, taking out the foremen in the other two side rooms. When you get to the bottom of the ramp and hit the water, put on some sort of underwater item and swim to the south for the shrine.
- Shrine up and head through the door. Take on all the guys, kill the Overseer and loot the chests.
- Aggression bonus: 50 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.( ♣179 ♦314 ♥330 ♠346 )
- Onslaught bonus: 67 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.( ♣268 ♦471 ♥495 ♠519 )
- Conquest bonus: 83 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.( ♣447 ♦785 ♥825 ♠865 )
- Mischief bonus: 45 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.( ♣143 ♦251 ♥264 ♠277 )
- Vandal bonus: 58 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.( ♣179 ♦314 ♥330 ♠346 )
- Ransack bonus: 72 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.( ♣268 ♦471 ♥495 ♠519 )
- Chests: 3
- 1 chest in the western (central mining) room
- 2 end chests for killing Foreman Tanrel (Duergar)
- Random (small) chance for Duergar to drop Adamantine Ore.
- Collectables: Four
- Mushroom in the South-east corner of the topmost room
- Mushroom in the South-east corner of the central furnace room
- Mushroom on the western wall (upper level) in the deepest furnace room
- Rubble in the South-west corner of the final room
- NPC rewards: Random item
|Name ( picture )||CR||Type||Race|
|Adamantine Defender ( view • edit )||♦9Normal ♥11Hard ♠14Elite||Construct||Iron Defender|
|Detritus (elemental) ( view • edit )||♦10Normal ♥12Hard ♠15Elite||Elemental||Earth Elemental|
|Duergar Miner ( view • edit )||♦9Normal ♥11Hard ♠14Elite||Dwarf||Dwarf|
|Duergar Scout ( view • edit )||♦11Normal ♥13Hard ♠16Elite||Dwarf||Dwarf|
|Duergar Surveyor ( view • edit )||♦11Normal ♥13Hard ♠16Elite||Dwarf||Dwarf|
|Foreman Tanrel ( view • edit )||♦11Normal ♥13Hard ♠16Elite||Dwarf||Dwarf|
|Large Rust Monster ( view • edit )||♦7Normal ♥9Hard ♠11Elite ●♥28Epic Hard||Aberration||Rust Monster|
|Overseer Drukh ( view • edit )||♦10Normal ♠15Elite||Dwarf||Dwarf|
|Overseer Heggir ( view • edit )||♦10Normal ♠15Elite||Dwarf||Dwarf|
|Overseer Nifnin ( view • edit )||♦10Normal ♥12Hard ♠15Elite||Dwarf||Dwarf|
|Scour ( view • edit )||♦8Normal ♠8Elite||Aberration||Rust Monster|
DDOwiki maintenance categories
DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories
Root > DDO game guides > Maps > Quests with maps
Root > DDO library
Root > DDO meta
Root > DDO meta > DDO Official
Root > DDOwiki meta
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Free to Play quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by duration > Long quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by favor reward > Quests with 5 base favor reward
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by level > DDO Compendium
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by level > Level 10 quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by location > Ataraxia's Haven quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by name
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by patron > House Kundarak patron quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by zone > Mineshaft IV quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > External links > Pages sourced by DDO forums
Root > DDOwiki meta > Unverified