From DDO wiki
The Haunted Library was once home to a necromancer and his apprentice. Only with the Tomes of Flesh, Blood and Bone can the student command his master's minions.
|Takes place in:||Haunted Library|
|Bestowed by:||Menos Xuekaine|
|NPC contact:||Menos Xuekaine|
|Quest acquired in:||Drowning Sorrows Tavern|
|Free to Play:||Yes|
Locate Menos Xuekaine’s three tomes within the library.
- This quest serves as a prerequisite for The Keeper's Sanctuary
Spoiler Warning: Information below this point can be considered spoiler material!
- Acquire Tome of Bone
- Acquire Tome of Flesh
- Acquire Tome of Blood
- (Optional) Slay Spectre — Bonus (10%): Heroic
- (Optional) Slay Morrigan XiRazdyn — Bonus (25%): Heroic
What to Expect
- Traps (fixed)
- Collapsible floors
- Overlapping floors
- Points of no return
- Puzzle (mandatory: tile puzzle)
- Spawning/respawning monsters
- Cold trap on upper level, on the door east of the key-locked door; box is on the north wall before the door
- Unholy trap before the western shrine on the lower level; box is on the south wall before the sarcophagus
- Dart traps on either side of the door leading to the chest in the northwest room on the lower level; box is on the wall west of the door
- Fire trap behind the chest on the lower level; is on the wall west of the chest
- Spike traps on Northern tunnel after green key door; box is on the north wall
- Poison trap over the last tome chest; box is on the floor to the west
Tips and Misc
- You could encounter a strange bug where one of the gated rooms will spawn ghostly wights that don't move or attack and that cannot be easily destroyed. If you can't remove the wights, the gate will not reopen and you'll be stuck at that point. One workaround is to destroy the wights with a disruption weapon in order to continue.
- You will run into a wide variety of undead creatures in this quest. Most of them can be easily dispatched with fire spells/weapons; the blackbones, however, are immune to fire. Acid and electricity resists also come in handy here as enemy casters (primarily arcane skeletons) use these attacks a lot. Sonic resist also comes in handy to protect against soundburst stun from wight priests.
- Past the locked door will be a trapped door; behind that will be several undead, including archers. Make note of where the archers are: They're loosely defining a collapsing floor.
- It can be very helpful to stay above and range the undead at the bottom of the pit, before jumping down.
- Once on the bottom floor, immediately to the east of the drop-down point, the door with the "complex lock" can be picked or knocked with sufficiently high skill, enabling you to skip the western section at that level. This allows you to avoid several traps and ambushes.
- The puzzle that seals the door to the end boss generates wraiths any time one of the four glyphs are highlighted. Depending on the party size, the wraiths can create a dangerous swarm, even on Normal, should party members be killed and their bodies, as a result, spawn additional wraiths.
- There are two points of no return.
- The first one is the final room at the upper level of the dungeon; once you kill the last mob inside, the center floor will immediately collapse, leading to a lower level room which is also filled with many hostile undead. If you somehow forget to grab the first tome at the upper level and fall through the floor, you can only get back to it through Dimension Door or re-entry.
- The second point of no return is a collapsed stair leading further downwards in the middle part of the lower level, but a sufficient Jump (<=25 fails, but 30 works) will allow you to leap over the gap in the stairs and back upwards.
- Spectre will appear at the end of the northern tunnel; after opening the gate with the levers, make sure the entire party moves into the next room at once, as the gates will drop once more for an ambush.
- Morrigan XiRazdyn will appear in the final room.
- Aggression bonus: 82 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 107 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 132 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Tamper bonus: 3 or more traps disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Neutralization bonus: 4 or more traps disarmed +20% Bonus.
- Ingenious Debilitation bonus: 5 or more traps disarmed +30% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 68 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 89 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 109 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Chests: 4
- 1 in the southwest room after you drop down to the bottom floor; opening it triggers an ambush
- 1 optional for killing Spectre (Spectre, found past a bridge and past a door opened by two levers)
- 2 optional chests for killing Morrigan Xirazdyn (Wraith, found in the end room)
- Collectables: Five
- Alchemy table in the northwest room on the top floor, with the Tome of Bone
- Alchemy table in the eastern on the top floor, with the collapsing floor
- Mushroom to the west on the bottom floor, behind the hidden door south of the shrine
- Adventurer's Pack on the bottom floor, by the collapsing floor
- Cabinet just south of the stairs
- NPC rewards: Random item
|Morrigan XiRazdyn (view)||Undead||Wraith|
|Arcane Blackbone (view)||Undead||Skeleton|
|Armored Wight (view)||Undead||Wight|
|Blackbone Knight (view)||Undead||Skeleton|
|Blackbone Marksman (view)||Undead||Skeleton|
|Blackbone Thrall (view)||Undead||Skeleton|
|Clay Golem (view)||Construct||Golem|
|Dread Zombie (view)||Undead||Zombie|
|Wight Priest (view)||Undead||Wight|
|Wight (view)||QL2:; QL3:||Undead||Wight|