The server data for the ninth season of the Hardcore League is wiped on March 6th! Make sure to transfer any characters you still want!
Abilities or skills that stack add their effects together. For example, modifiers of +1 Save all and +2 Save against fear stack to create a total +3 to Save versus fear (in addition to the +1 to Save against everything else).In most cases however, only the strongest effect applies. For example, having non-stacking +3 and +5 modifiers is only worth a +5 bonus, not +8.
Bonus Types & Stacking
Bonuses usually (but not always) have a keyword, such as enhancement or resistance, identifying what type of bonus it is. Players usually try to maximize the potential of their characters in a given area by giving them a collection of bonus with different keywords. Achieving a high Armor Class is a good example of this strategy.
Stacking follows a few predictable general rules:
- Bonuses of the same type do not stack:
- An enhancement bonus to AC from armor is an Armor bonus. The enhancement bonus to AC from a shield is a shield bonus. In this case, the two bonuses to AC do stack.
- When an armor bonus to AC is granted by something other than armor or a docent (such as Black Widow Bracers), it does not stack with an actual armor.
- When a Shield bonus to AC comes from something other than a shield (such as the Shield (spell)), it does not stack with an actual shield.
- Untyped bonuses stack. Note that a bonus without a keyword isn't necessarily an untyped bonus, the description might just be lacking.
- Penalties always stack.
- Feat bonuses stack. A character with Lightning Reflexes (+2 bonus to Reflex saves) and Luck of Heroes (+1 bonus to all saves) will have a +3 Reflex save.
- Bonuses from character Enhancements that don't mention a specific bonus almost always stack. They are not automatically "enhancement bonuses."
- Note: Character enhancements with exactly the same name do not stack, other than the T3 & T4 Ability score enhancements.
- Benefits from the same family, like Fortification or False Life, do not stack.
- Damage Reduction does not stack (e.g. Stoneskin), except for the added DR that comes from active blocking (therefore it's not a waste to use it together with Barkskin which grants an increase to AC, i.e. an unrelated modifier).
If you use a bow or crossbow, bonuses and properties on your weapon do not stack with ones from the same category on your ammunition. For example, using +3 bolts of lesser undead bane in a +1 flaming crossbow of lesser undead bane gives your shots +3 to attack and damage (not +4), flaming damage, and lesser undead bane effect once.
For information about stacking of various spell damage effects, refer to Spell Damage.