What Goes Up
It turns out the Netherese are holding Oriphaun captive deep within the glacier. But that's not all - they have also excavated an artifact called a Mythallar, there. Its purpose remains a mystery.
|Requires access to : Shadowfell Conspiracy|
|What Goes Up|
|Takes place in:||Mountain Glacier|
|Bestowed by:||Sherrod Starym|
|NPC contact:||Sherrod Starym|
|Quest acquired in:||Eveningstar|
|Free to Play:||No|
Sherrod Starym was able to scry the captured Oriphaun Huntsilver's location. He is being held inside the Mountain Glacier, at the high peaks of the Storm Horns.
Sherrod also told you that the magical artifact known as the mythallar is growing in power to dangerous proportions, and that you should deal with it at the same time that you rescue Oriphaun.
- You have to complete all 4 of the Secret of the Storm Horns pre-quests to be able to open this quest instance.
- Locate the heart of the glacier
- Find and rescue Oriphaun
- Disrupt the Netherese spellcasters
- Exit the Mythallar Chamber
- Sink the flying fortress
- Return to the Mythallar
- Destroy the flight pillars
- Defeat the Archwizard Amskar
- Defeat all the Shadovars
- Return to the Mythallar
- (Optional) Find the jeweled keys (two) — Bonus (10%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Defeat Vocis the Shade — Bonus (15%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Find a use for the jeweled keys — Bonus (5%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Jump off the flying glacier! — Bonus (10%): Heroic Epic
- (Traps only appear if you fail the skill check to open the rooms safely.)
Tips and Misc
This quest has multiple maps.
- The only required kills in this part are the first few guards, killing them opens the gate.
- A player with very high stealth skills can make their way through most of the first map undetected.
- Optionally, look for the first jeweled key at one of the following locations:
- Under the first stairs
- In a dead end with wolves
- Up, behind crates, near the first giant
- At the top of the second ramp where the frost giants are first encountered, on an ice ledge running around to a door opened with a lever.
- Unlocking the barriers requires a UMD/Concentration skill check or donation of Astral Shards. (Input data on this page) If you fail the check, barriers open but spell wards can appear in the rooms.
- Behind the barriers, find (randomly located):
- Wolf signet to open the way forward.
- Oriphaun, who carries the other signet.
- Optionally, a silver key that fits into a concealed golden elaborate control orb to open the way to an optional fight with Vocis the Shade. Don't forget to pick up the second jeweled key after the fight.
- Slot the signet to proceed to a big orb; the mythallar. Kill mages, then Zeligat. Trash respawns until Zeligat dies.
- When you defeat Zeligat and his lackeys, you're transported to the Mythallar Chamber with no way back; therefore, you may as well use the shrine (at the end of the first section) before that fight. You can return to this shrine; there is also a couple of resurrection-only shrines en route (always appear) and a final shrine at the ramp before the top of the glacier (will be inaccessible once the end fight begins).
- Treasure barricade contains slow Spell Ward (only if you fail on the UMD roll to open it) and four chests which all require the jeweled keys to open. Two are empty, two are nice and full. Use your Spot skill and walk near each one to see which chest "shows signs of being used recently" (the recently used chest is likely to be full).
- If your Spot is high enough, you will get a message onscreen and in general chat window. Spot 51 on EN was enough for 1 chest hint. Spot 50 was enough on EH for 1 hint.
- Be patient - the message can sometimes be delayed.
- With 50 Spot, some of the trapped chest triggers became visible (well before the Spot message).
- End fight:
- If you fall off the plateau to a spot without land below, you will die and your soul stone will be deposited by the outdoor shrine.
- Both shrines right before the boss (near the base of the ramp up to the plateau) will become inaccessible when the final boss fight starts.
- The boss teleports frequently to several spots. If you get too close, he tends to teleport away.
- Waves of trash mobs must be cleared in order to progress the fight. A common order to battle is:
- Kill 4 pillars.
- Kill trash until elementals spawn; then kill elementals.
- Kill trash until Shadovar spawn; then kill 4 Shadovar.
- Kill trash until Amskar comes down, then kill Amskar.
- Spawning armies typically run towards Amskar. When he teleports, the army moves with him.
- There are raised rock clusters near each pillar. A ranged character can shoot at the nearby pillar behind these, out of the line of sight of patrolling trash.
- For the "Jump off the flying glacier!" optional, jump from the upper glacier (where Amskar and all his spawning mobs are) to the lower glacier (the section between exiting from the Mythallar chamber until the final gate). Do not jump off the glacier entirely; this will merely kill you without completing the optional. Delay your jump for as long as possible also, to ensure the optional.
- You can usually wait until when the screen starts to shake; have feather fall equipped.
- If you jump wrong (i.e., off the glacier entirely), your soulstone will appear with everyone else's at the end, near a shrine.
- Discreet bonus: 62 or fewer monsters killed +5% Bonus.
- Aggression bonus: 195 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 257 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 312 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Tamper bonus: 1 or more trap disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Neutralization bonus: 2 or more traps disarmed +20% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 70 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 91 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 112 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Notes: Breakable requirements reset after you kill Zeligat
- Chests: up to 6
- 2 in treasure room (other 2 are empty... and you can only open 2 total)
- 1 large chest that can contain the rare named items (to the right as you look at the valley)
- +1 on Casual/Normal (to left of shrine)
- +2 on Hard (to left of shrine)
- +3 on Elite (to left of shrine)
- Collectables: 6
- Bones where you can see that the "massive shape of the Mythallar has been almost fully excavated."
- Bones behind the closed gate after climbing the ramp
- Adventurer's Pack in Vocis' chamber
- Adventurer's Pack in the Mythallar chamber (be sure to get it before killing Zeligat)
- Adventurer's Pack around the corner from the first bridge on top of the glacier, to the west
- Bones before the first closed gate on the glacier, to the east
- NPC rewards: Always contain following 3 named rings
Named Chest Drop
- Consuming Darkness - Ring - - Jeweled Key chest, & End chest
- Goatskin Boots - Boots - - End chest, Jeweled Key chest
- Thunder and Lightning - Handwraps - - End chest
|Flight Pillar (view)||0||Construct||Inanimate Object|
|Animated Object (view)||Construct||Animated Object|
|Netherese Arcanist (view)||Humanoid||Human|
|Netherese Archwizard (NoPic)||Humanoid||Human|
|Netherese Mage (view)||Humanoid||Human|
Elaborate Control Orb DCs
You are not required to succeed on the skill checks to proceed on the quest. However, failing the skill check will create Spell Wards at the failed rooms.
The left orb controls the south rooms. The right orb controls the north rooms. The Dark Room requires the Silver Key to unlock the control orb in the Wizards' quarters.
Bug: As of Update 20, if you try to use the "Open all barriers" options, you will always be forced to make a UMD check, even if you had chosen to make a concentration check before.
|Use Magical Device DC (Heroic table)|
Left Orb (Heroic, UMD)
Right Orb (Heroic, UMD)
|Concentration DC (Heroic table)|
Left Orb (Heroic, Concentration)
Right Orb (Heroic, Concentration)
|Use Magical Device DC (Epic table)|
Left Orb (Epic, UMD)
Right Orb (Epic, UMD)
|Concentration DC (Epic table)|
Left Orb (Epic, Concentration)
Right Orb (Epic, Concentration)
|Use Magical Device|