Trial by Fury
|Requires access to adventure pack: Menace of the Underdark|
Lolth has entrusted an Orb to the Demon Lord Grulemith, who guards it deep within his labyrinthian domain.
|Trial by Fury|
|Epic XP:||♣14,938 ♦25,692 ♥26,486 ♠27,280|
|Takes place in:||The Domain of Lord Grulemith|
|Quest acquired in:||Eveningstar|
|Patron:||Purple Dragon Knights|
|Free to Play:||No|
The War Wizard Walak tells you that Lolth has given an arcane Orb to Grulemith, one of her Demon Lords. This Orb is being used to capture and suppress the power of the Thread of the Weave, who is being held captive by Lolth's.
If this Orb were stolen, it would disrupt Lolth's schemes, and possibly help the Thread of the Weave escape. Go to the Domain of Lord Grulemith inside the Demonweb and obtain the Orb by any means necessary.
You may reach the Demonweb via Eveningstar Cavern.
Spoiler Warning: Information below this point can be considered spoiler material!
- Speak to Grulemith
- Find and defeat Grulemith the Goristro
- Find the Golden Orb of Lolth behind Grulemith's Crucible
- (Optional) Trial of Wits: Get five Wisdom Jewels (5% of base XP)
- (Optional) Trial of Might: Get five Strength Jewels (5% of base XP)
- (Optional) Trial of Endurance: Get five Wisdom Jewels and five Strength Jewels (7% of base XP)
- (Optional) Defeat Shufarix in the Theatre of Pain (5% of base XP)
- (Optional) Defeat Cixsir in the Domain of Suffering (5% of base XP)
- (Optional) Defeat Tsirrik in the Eyrie of Terror (5% of base XP)
- (Optional) Defeat Nilaphax, the Yugoloth Warden of Wisdom (2% of base XP)
- (Optional) Defeat Maljuph, the Yugoloth Warden of Strength (2% of base XP)
- (Optional) Slay the Drider Guardian Cho'ahz (5% of base XP)
- May appear twice, once in the Abyss of Torment and again in The Nest of Corruption, spawns after killing all the spiders from the Fourth Trial of Might, no XP for the second time you kill it.
- Poison Spell ward in the Theater of Pain
- Evil Spell ward in the Eyrie of Terror
- Poison Spellwards in the Domain of Suffering
- Fire Spellwards in the Abyss of Torment
Tips and Misc
- If you fall/jump off one of the islands or bridges, you will port to the start. Enemies may spawn when you do so, however.
- Don't forget to talk to Grulemith at the start or the quest will not complete until you go back and talk to him. You can jump off the side at the end as a shortcut to get back if you forgot.
- There are actually six of each trial.
- Puzzles for the test of wits are exactly the same as 3x3 Shroud puzzles.
- Puzzle solver - http://ddosource.com/ddo-puzzle-solver/shroud-puzzle-solver/
- They look as if they should be timed - after a bit, the console de-lights - but they aren't; you can keep going even after the lights go out, with no penalty.
- Trials of Might foes:
- Isle of Withering: A few spiders
- Haven of Malice: A couple of dretches followed by a couple of Yugoloth mercenaries
- Hollow of Destruction: A couple of dretches followed by a couple of renders
- Grotto of Hopelessness: A few spiders
- Nest of Corruption: Lots and lots and lots of spiders. And then more spiders. And then Dro'ahz.
- This Trial is much harder than any of the others, so be prepared. Fortunately, you can cheerfully skip and and still get the optionals, especially if Cho'ahz spawned earlier in the quest.
- Sweep of Despair: A few spiders followed by a couple of draeglotha
- There are lots places that are not intuitive to reach, with a lot of potential extra chests.
- There is a bug with Cixsir's chest - it only appears after his allies are slain, and he triggers it to be unlocked. Thus if you kill him before you kill his allies, it can not be unlocked. So be sure to kill the other Yugoloth near him before you kill him.
- Reasonably easy to solo on epic normal and hard, on any class. Though it can take quite some time and resources to figure out for first timers as it is a huge quest with many optional paths and wrong turns.
- Chest near the end is roughly below the steps that lead to the orb and has a DC of ~85 Lvl 20 and 20/4 Hireling Rogue will open it eventually if you can manage to get them to it. 20/4 Rogue succeeds within a few attempts by using a GH clicky on him and activating his "showtime" ability on his hotbar.
- Hirelings don't like the web bridges, and can freeze up and become completely useless until you can get them to teleport to your position.
- Aggression bonus: 117 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 165 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Tamper bonus: 3 or more traps disarmed +8% Bonus.
- Neutralization bonus: 4 or more traps disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Ingenious Debilitation bonus: 4 or more traps disarmed +15% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 18 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 23 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 28 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest may not be possible.
- Chests: Seven
- One for completing (Optional) Defeat Shufarix in the Theatre of Pain
- One for completing (Optional) Defeat Cixsir in the Domain of Suffering
- One for completing (Optional) Defeat Tsirrik in the Eyrie of Terror (locked, requires high lockpick)
- One for completing (Optional) Slay the Drider Guardian Cho'ahz
- One for Slaying Drider Guardian Cho'ahz (again) after the Fourth Trial of Might
- One locked chest down below, hidden near the Drider-guarded bridge (locked, requires high lockpick, 81 opens EH; 80 not enough EN)
- One end chest for defeating Grulemith the Goristro.
- Each chest has a 25%/50%/100% (EN/EH/EE) chance of 1 random commendation dropping.
- Most of these can drop unbound +3 or +4 tomes, but only on Epic Hard and Epic Elite respectively.
- NPC rewards: List of 10 random items, Potion of Major Mnemonic, chance at +3 Tomes
Named Chest Drop
- Hide of the Goristro - +6 Enhancement Bonus Light Armor (Total Armour Bonus 14, MDB 14): Random Ability Bonus ( Strength +8, Insightful Strength +3, Dexterity +8, Insightful Dexterity +3, Constitution +8, or Insightful Constitution +3), Vitality +20, Rough Hide +3, Melee Alacrity 10%, Random Tactics Bonus (Shatter +10, Vertigo +10, Stunning +10, or Tendon Slice 10%), Upgrade: 375 Purple Dragon Knights favor and 15 Commendation: Druids of the King's Forest adds Woodsman's Guile [ML:22, Bound to Character on Equip] (Chest Loot: Grulemith Chest, Bottom Chest)
- Planar Focus of Subterfuge - Trinket: Random Ability Bonus ( Dexterity +8, Insightful Dexterity +3, Intelligence +8, Insightful Intelligence +3, Wisdom +8, or Insightful Wisdom +3), Planar Focus: Subterfuge Set Bonus [ML:22, Bound to Character on Equip] (Chest Loot: Grulemith Chest, Bottom Chest)
- Spidersilk Robes - Robe: Random Ability Bonus ( Intelligence +8, Insightful Intelligence +3, Charisma +8, or Insightful Charisma +3), Armor Bonus +9, Potency +72, Wizardry IX, Resistance +6, Concentration +15, Vitality +20, Upgrade: 375 Purple Dragon Knights Favor and 15 Commendation: War Wizards adds Battle Arcanist [ML:22, Bound to Character on Equip] (Chest Loot: Shufarix, Cixir, Choazz and Tsirrik Chests)
- Stone Heart - Docent: +6 Enhancement Bonus (Adamantine Body +21 / Mithral Body +10 / Composite Plating +4), Random Ability Bonus ( Ability +8), Resistance +6, Protection +6, Vitality +20, Upgrade: 375 Purple Dragon Knights Favor and 15 Commendations of appropriate type adds Amaunator's Blessing, Battle Arcanist, Knight's Loyalty, Way of The Sun Soul, and Woodsman's Guile [ML:22, Bound to Character on Equip] (Chest Loot: Shufarix and Tsirrik Chests)
- Astral Harrowers
- Demonic Swarmhorde Spiders
- Demonweb Terrors
- Ravenous Dretches
- Furious Renders
- Soulherd Driders
- Vicious Deathjump Spiders
- Yugoloth Mercenaries